It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

More Japanese plants, stores close in China amid rising anger

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 01:16 PM
link   

More Japanese plants, stores close in China amid rising anger

www.cnn.com

Hong Kong (CNN) -- More Japanese factories and businesses in China shuttered Tuesday as an East China Sea island dispute threatens to drag relations between Asia's two largest economies to their lowest point since World War II.
Meanwhile, Baidu -- China's most popular search engine -- waded into the dispute by showing a cartoon image of the Chinese flag over the disputed island on its homepage.
Clicking on the image revealed a page headlined "Diaoyu Island is China's!" The page had an interactive feature asking web users to place a virtual flag on a map of the islands. By 2:30 p.m. Chin
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
edition.cnn.com

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Yesh, seems this is getting hotter by the day. These islands apparently have some oil near them which I am sure is driving this fight as China is quickly becoming the largest oil consumer on the planet. I'm not sure who is right here.

This also makes me curious as to if China will soon make moves toward Taiwan. They are becoming more vocal concerning territory they claim.

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   
I've always wondered....

If China and Japan go to war... who backs Japan?

Also... is it possible to check out the 'flag on islands' interactive feature in the US?
edit on 19-9-2012 by FractalChaos13242017 because: clarification

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by FractalChaos13242017

It would likely be the U.S. I personally think China is overplaying it's hand with this one. There are serious problems in China right now that are causing unrest in their country. This might just be a way of taking the heat off those internal problems.

Oh I should add, the reason the U.S. will back them is the Japanese Constitution pretty much forbids them from having a military. They are dependent upon the U.S. for their protection. It would probably be a good idea for Japan to amend their Constitution so they can build up a military.
edit on 19-9-2012 by antonia because: added a thought

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   
The world is going to Hell in a handbasket, but hey the Dow is up 40 points! Go back to bed.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by antonia

That is, in all likelihood, exactly what it is. A nasty little combination of exploitable resources that are badly needed, a restive population...and voila, something to take the minds of the public off the internal mess that is brewing.

In the event, as unlikely as it is, of a shooting war between Japan and China, the U.S. will back Japan. Which strikes me as rather funny, considering who we sided with the last time these two went at it. Politics makes for strange bedfellows...

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 04:36 PM
link   
No way will this turn into a war. China knowing that America
would back japan, know that they will get nothing out of it. If
anything, lose all they have worked so hard to get.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Well, the U.S. under Obama has thrown long time ally Israel under the bus, which emboldens radicals in the middle east, so China figures Obama won't stand by long time ally, Japan...as it begins it's moves to take those islands from Japan.

Can Taiwan be far behind?

Feckless U.S. foreign policy under Obama has resulted in a loss of respect for U.S. resolve to stand by it's allies around the world.
edit on 19-9-2012 by IAMTAT because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by FractalChaos13242017
I've always wondered....

If China and Japan go to war... who backs Japan?

Also... is it possible to check out the 'flag on islands' interactive feature in the US?
edit on 19-9-2012 by FractalChaos13242017 because: clarification

I'd say South Korea among others. Just a guess though.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 08:47 PM
link   
let's not forget the japanese have defeated china before
heck, they beat the russians once as well.

i'll spare you all the esoterics of japans "dragon-path" infrastructure being healthy
as opposed to china's,
the result of the opium wars and british rail-lines tearing them up long ago.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 10:21 PM
link   
The war games are about to begin. We are just the pawns. Even our kings and queens have someone moving them to where they need to be. These are games of the gods, soon people will flock like zombies to fight. I am just one of the observers destined to watch over things. I cannot interfere with the game whether I like it or not.

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 03:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by DerepentLEstranger
let's not forget the japanese have defeated china before
heck, they beat the russians once as well.

i'll spare you all the esoterics of japans "dragon-path" infrastructure being healthy
as opposed to china's,
the result of the opium wars and british rail-lines tearing them up long ago.

That was a very different japan back then, and a very
different china to the ones we see today.

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 09:10 AM
link   
So I'm wondering if there'd be any advantage to China starting stuff up with Japan, just for the chance to go to war with the U.S.

Anyone?
Have I been on ATS too long?

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by chasingbrahman

I've wondered that a time or two... But I've never been able to see an advantage for China. The U.S. in their largest trading partner by several orders of magnitude...that's assuming they could even win, which is unlikely IMHO. The ramifications of a war on their economy is nothing but horrific even if they win. If they lose? Disastrous.

MHO, of course.

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 11:00 PM
link   
reply to post by seagull

Chinas economy is not what people think it is, actually.

One of the major explanations for the defensive posture of asset and currency markets overnight was the headlines from an alarming PWC report concerning China’s debt mountain. The actual contents of PWC’s findings do not appear to have been released publically, but even so the picture conveyed by these headlines is extremely disturbing. Apparently, overdue loans at China’s top ten banks soared 333% in the first six months of 2012 to CNY 489bn (USD 78bn). Given the state of the economy, a large volume of these loans is likely to become non-performing in coming months.

Like us, many informed commentators worry that China’s debt mountain is unravelling. For instance, the informal lending sector (worth around CNY 4trln) has almost ceased to function, and local governments are sitting on a huge debt stockpile. Meanwhile, the evidence confirming China’s stuttering recovery accumulated further overnight, with a manufacturing PMI survey suggesting that this sector contracted for an 11th straight month in August. China is rapidly replacing Europe as the issue that keeps both traders and investors awake at night.

China’s debt mountain is crumbling

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 11:08 PM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

Oh, I know that. Their chickens are beginning to come home to roost... But it's still a global powerhouse with much to lose in the event of a throwdown with the U.S., which would almost inevitably bring in at least a few other nations, such as Australia, and England.

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 11:44 PM
link   
reply to post by seagull

I agree 100%.

Regionally, China is a strong Nation. India hasn't forgotten 1962, China hasn't forgotten Japans conquests in WW2. I think there's a powder keg, waiting to explode, in that region of the World.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 01:09 AM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

Don't count the Korea's, North or South, out of that little equation, either. They remember only too well the actions of both China and Japan in the past.

While we're at it, the Vietnamese have past issues with both, as well.

Memories stretching back literally thousands of years... Powder keg is an understatement.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 02:03 AM
link   
reply to post by seagull

Just think of how quickly, the World would stop, our own economy would stop, if these two Nations went to War, right now. They are 1 and 2, in ownership, of US debt also. I wouldn't be surprised if China marched right into Taiwan, in an attack, that would stretch several countries.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 02:13 AM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

Taiwan has, last I checked, one of the more modern militaries in the world. Their own stuff, and the stuff the U.S. and other countries sell 'em. None of it's second rate...

China would be biting into a big ol' peach pit there, I think. They might win, but it would be Pyrrhic, at best.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join