It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Consumer Reports: High Levels of Arsenic Found in Rice

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Consumer Reports: High Levels of Arsenic Found in Rice

www.wgrz.com

A year ago, Consumer Reports found troubling levels of arsenic in apple and grape juice. Now, one of their investigations has found similar worries when it comes to rice.

What is important to point out is that right now, there aren't any set arsenic level limits for rice, only for water. The magazine is using these tests as an argument for the government to change that.

Consumer Reports' tests of 32 rices and dozens of rice products find all contained arsenic, and lab tests show many of the samples had troubling levels of inorganic arsenic - the most toxic form.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Not sure if anyone has seen this report yet? It was on the local news, and a search just showed older articles from Feb. So my question is, is this a possible game changer for anyone who is mass storing rice as a staple food in a shtf scenario? Does this make you want to rethink any of that? I know I often hear a lot of people saying they are stocking up and recent trips to the store I always see people grabbing bags upon bags of rice. What are your thoughts, discuss?

www.wgrz.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 11:33 AM
link   
How special. They want people forced to eat their Agent Orange GMO corn that just happens to sterilize rabbits then?

Poison everything else, eh?

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

You know it's funny because I was thinking along the same lines. Just didn't want to be the first to say it.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Iodide (50-125 or higher mgs, I take 1/32 tsp, which is 125 mgs and will be raising it gradually to 1/8th for at least 2 months of the over 8 month DETOX) and Pau'darco tea, and MMS will detox all the heavy metals and pollutants they put in the rice. I'll take my chances with the Arsenic over the GMO Agent Orange Corn.

edit on 19-9-2012 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by jaynkeel

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!! This is really starting to burn my bottom!!!! Why is suicide illegal then??? Makes me wonder if these elitests really are the psychopaths that people paint them out to be!!!!!

I guess, to take ones own life takes away their pleasure to watch you die a slow and painful death at THEIR HANDS eh?????

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

Seems to me that if you incorporated both into a daily diet you could end up killing someone. Not a positive thought at all. Scary times indeed.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   

No I'm doing the iodide and vit C, D, etc. I have MMS. And I make pau'darco when we're sick, which I should make up soon, but I wouldn't recommend taking both MMS and Iodide, but rather choose one. Iodide is of course the natural food they have been depriving us of since the Manhatten studies pinpointed it as very needed. So that is my choice first off, as its the natural one.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   

More scare crap. Rice is cooked in large amounts of water and should be rinsed before cooking. The amount of arsenic on uncooked rice is going to be very different than what is in cooked rice.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by antonia

More scare crap. Rice is cooked in large amounts of water and should be rinsed before cooking. The amount of arsenic on uncooked rice is going to be very different than what is in cooked rice.

Rice is cooked in large amounts of water, almost all of which is absorbed by the rice in the cooking process.

There is a study (trouble embedding link, it is below for now) which shows that high volume rinsing and high volume cooking (way more water than needed, discard excess water) can remove around 50% of the inorganic arsenic. But not many people are cooking rice this way.

Study: www.lundberg.com...

So, maybe, instead of coming in and saying "scare crap, move along, no danger" you could instead be a productive, constructive, helpful contributor and say "hey everyone, if you rinse your rice very well and cook it in twice as much water as needed and discard the water, you can reduce your exposure to inorganic arsenic."

I suggest trying that next time...
edit on 19-9-2012 by UdonNiedtuno because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 12:29 PM
link   
News was just talking bout this so msm is talking about it, but I hate rice never could ever stand the taste.

FDA your not doing your job!
EPA your not doing your job!.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by UdonNiedtuno

So, maybe, instead of coming in and saying "scare crap, move along, no danger" you could instead be a productive, constructive, helpful contributor and say "hey everyone, if you rinse your rice very well and cook it in twice as much water as needed and discard the water, you can reduce your exposure to inorganic arsenic."

The amount of arsenic you are going to get from normally cooked rice is pretty small compared to what you are going to get just leaving your house. It is scare crap. This is not a new fact.
article
Here is a article from 2005 about this fact. American's don't eat enough rice to get large amounts of arsenic from it. When you find arsenic in potatoes then we might have a problem. Either way, all that is going to happen is rice sellers will start rinsing it before selling it and touting "arsenic free" once consumers screech about this.
edit on 19-9-2012 by antonia because: opps

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by antonia

Originally posted by UdonNiedtuno

The amount of arsenic you are going to get from normally cooked rice is pretty small compared to what you are going to get just leaving your house. It is scare crap. This is not a new fact.

article
Here is a article from 2005 about this fact. American's don't eat enough rice to get large amounts of arsenic from it. When you find arsenic in potatoes then we might have a problem. Either way, all that is going to happen is rice sellers will start rinsing it before selling it and touting "arsenic free" once consumers screech about this.
edit on 19-9-2012 by antonia because: opps

Alright, I must not be an American by your definition then, because, myself, my wife and my two children eat a lot of rice, at least 2-3 times a week we eat stir fry, or we make spanish rice and beans - etc...

And I am curious how you propose we are being exposed to inorganic arsenic by "just leaving your house"? And, if arsenic is found in potatoes my family need not worry because we eat about 15 pounds of potatoes a year. Maybe. Alternatively, we eat at least 20-25 lbs of jasmine rice a year (maybe more). Point being, there are potentially harmful levels of arsenic in rice, people should be aware of it. Especially women who are pregnant, may become pregnant or who are breastfeeding AND children. Why in the world call it "scare crap" when in reality it is useful information to reduce your exposure to a known human carcinogen, not suspected mind you, but KNOWN? Pretty easy to avoid rice from the southern US (where highest arsenic levels are found), avoid brown rice, and to be sure to rinse your rice very well and cook in excess water. These are all very easy to do and will undoubtedly reduce your exposure to a known carcinogen. This is not scare crap. It is common sense.

edit on 19-9-2012 by UdonNiedtuno because: trying to fix bold font - not visible in the html code! oh well

edit on 19-9-2012 by UdonNiedtuno because: clarify

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by UdonNiedtuno

And I am curious how you propose we are being exposed to inorganic arsenic by "just leaving your house"?

Arsenic is present in soil, dirt and rocks. If you go outside you will touch it. As for the amount of rice you eat, most american's only eat about 1/2 a cup a day on average. This pales in contrast to Asians who have yet to die en mass from Rice-induced arsenic poisoning. Potatoes are eaten much more than rice in the U.S. this is why I made that quip.

This is just overblown just like the apple juice scare. There are many things in your environment that are more likely to give you arsenic poisoning than rice.
edit on 19-9-2012 by antonia because: added a thought

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by antonia

I am well aware of common sources of arsenic, however, unless you ingest the soil, dirt and rocks in question there is negligible exposure to arsenic. Since I do not eat soil, dirt, and rocks then it is quite unlikely that leaving my house would constitute an exposure risk near that of ingesting brown rice grown in the southern US. That was and is my point. If you wish to continue to eat brown rice and believe that it is just scare tactics (used to what end I might ask?) than go ahead! I will continue to avoid rice products shown to be high in arsenic.

Beyond that, I guess I agree to disagree. Cheers!

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Bottom line, we have been allowed to ingest, breath and get our skin saturated with poison that should not be in our lives to Begin with and is all allowed due to profits, corruption and ignorance.

Any type of poison it doesn't matter in which amount will add up..

But then again, I guess people doesn't care when babies are born already polluted and poisoned this days.

Is all good, nothing to see here.
is just rice, just rinsed, then eat it along with that your GMO manufactured crap your seeds, corn, soy and beets, Is all good, don forget you agent orange corn too.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by antonia

But can we agree that it's not good for you either way. No matter what the amount is.

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 03:35 AM
link   
It's been known for a while now that rice has high levels of arsenic. I don't see why it has all of a sudden become big news. There has to be some kind of agenda here...

...Or maybe whoever was adding the arsenic to our rice went a little overboard on this batch. "Dang it Jerry! You're supposed to add 5x the amount of arsenic, NOT 50x!"

Rice grown in the USA has up to five times higher levels of arsenic than those found in rice grown in Europe, India and Bangladesh, says a report in the August 2005 edition of Environmental Science and Technology.

2005 - Surprisingly high concentrations of toxic arsenic species found in U.S. rice

edit on 9/20/2012 by goochball because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 04:32 AM
link   
Why the hell is arsenic in my rice to begin with?
If I can afford organic ferts so can they
edit on 20-9-2012 by zonetripper2065 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 07:49 AM
link   
As a poor, working class celiac, rice is one of the cheap starches that I can consume to meet my daily grain requirements, quinoa and the other alt grains are way to expensive.

Oh well, the rich get richer while the poor get the picture

top topics

<<   2 >>

join