It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why A Magnesium Deficiency Will Quickly KILL You

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 11:21 AM
link   
After experiencing some frightening symptoms lately, I naturally have been surfing the interwebs to try and figure out what's wrong with me.

There was a 2009 thread on this subject, but it received very little attention:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

As many people know, heart disease is the #1 Killer... not cancer or diabetes, or even corporate sponsored war. Heart disease isn't one type of disease, but simply a general description that something is impeding the functions of the heart and circulatory system. Heart problems are typically linked to a high-sugar, high-fat, high-salt diet, but magnesium is critically important when it comes to your heart and overall well being.

Here's my side of the story in short:
It's my understanding (now) that magnesium and calcium are naturally found in hard water. I'm almost 40. I grew up on tap water. My mother would make tea and Kool-Aid with it regularly. We never bought bottled water. As a kid, I never had to visit the doctor for any reason. My parents were old-school, rural, and didn't even take me in for check-ups. I was such a healthy kid though, I rarely got sick.

Fast Forward... circa 1995 I got my first internet connection. (AOL dial-up baby!)
My natural curiosity led me to research..well, everything... and I was dismayed when I eventually learn about the fluoride controversy. However, I was still living at home on occasion, and mom always had a fresh pitcher of tap-water tea waiting for me. Suffering no noticeable effects (despite my wariness) I continued drinking tap water.

Fast Forward... In 1997 I moved away, became a father, still used tap water for most beverages, but eventually got an in-home filtration system (i think the company was "General Ionics" or something). So I felt I was all set, and had the safest water possible.

Fast Forward... In 2003 I split with my children's mother and moved back to my home town. Paying child support, I couldn't afford my own filtration system. I went back to tap water for a while, but over the years my purchases of bottled water increased until I eventually no longer drank tap water at all.

Fast Forward...2 months ago I started to develop a patch of eczema on my left shoulder. I had NEVER had any eczema before. It spread to the size of a golf ball.

Fast Forward... 2 weeks ago I was driving to work and my heart suddenly started racing out of control. I thought perhaps it was the anxiety of the morning commute, or perhaps anxiety about my job of almost 9 years where I only make a couple bucks more than minimum wage.

I couldn't seem to catch my breath. I could tell my oxygen levels were depleting, and for fear of passing out while driving, I pulled over into a Wendy's parking lot. As I loosened my belt to help blood flow and tried to get comfortable I debated whether to go in and ask for help (I have no cell phone) but almost as quickly as it started the whole episode started to subside...

Then I debated on whether to go to work or just go back home. Why no doctor, you ask? I have no insurance, and certainly can't afford doctors and also can't afford to miss work. I felt weak, exhausted and nervous - scared that it could happen again at any moment, mostly scared that I would die without being able to explain to my kids what happened or at least say goodbye! All I could think of was them and that they've been through enough already.

I have also been depressed lately. My usual hobbies - no fun. Picture of the future - no good. Getting out of the funk I was - no dice. I thought, "I'm just getting old... life probably just sucks more as you get older."

I tried to think if there was something I was doing differently, then I remembered that hard water contains calcium and magnesium. So I looked up the effects of magnesium deficiency, and lo and behold, it's one of the most deadly vitamin deficiencies known!

That's my story.. here are some helpful links and pics for anyone you know with any of these issues:

Source

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Article:
How magnesium prevents heart disease

"Symptoms of magnesium deficiency include: hyperexcitability, dizziness, muscle cramps, muscle weakness and fatigue.

Severe magnesium deficiency can cause hypocalcemia, low serum potassium levels (hypokalemia), retention of sodium, low circulating levels of parathyroid hormone (PTH), neurological and muscular symptoms (tremor, muscle spasms, tetany), loss of appetite, nausea, vomiting, personality changes and death from heart failure."
Source

Magnesium Rich Foods

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Eat more bananas.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Good post. Magnesium is incredibly important, and the majority of Americans are magnesium-deficient.

My only issue is the image you used concerning all the maladies caused by the deficiency. Fibromyaglia is not caused by a magnesium deficiency. If that were true, a simple magnesium supplement would cure it....but as people who have it (myself included) know, it is not curable, even with supplements.

I take magnesium, and it does help, but sadly, not a cure.

Other than that small issue, I agree with what you're saying.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Wow, I was recently a tiny bit low on magnesium. I didn't realize how harmful that could be. Thanks for sharing this information.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Thanks for sharing!
My son sufferED (no longer suffers) from debilitating migraines. After two years of trying anything and everything, I started him on a magnesium supplement. No more migraines. If I feel one coming on, I take some and the migraine goes completely away within 30 minutes. It's a natural muscle relaxer. It also helps with muscle aches when I drink it post-workout

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by FissionSurplus

Fibromyaglia is not caused by a magnesium deficiency.

Thanks for adding this.... I didn't research every single thing on the list, but I had several of the symptoms so i thought it would be a useful visual.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by DeReK DaRkLy

So. water filtration systems and bottled water are taking out the good minerals as well as the bad junk.....figures.

Sorry you had that scare...but
for doing the research and sharing it with us.

I think it's good to take calcium and magnesium together.

Also, to use sea salt ....as minimally processed as possible....for the trace minerals.
Regular table salt is as nutritionally corrupt as white sugar..

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Here's another article:

Is Your Bottled Water Killing You?

"Magnesium plays hundreds of crucial roles in the body, including suppressing unstable heart rhythms, controlling blood pressure, maintaining insulin sensitivity, and regulating over 300 enzymes."

Side note: I called it a "vitamin" in my OP, but it's actually a mineral.

edit on 19-9-2012 by DeReK DaRkLy because: whoops...

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Just a side note go to the doctor to check your symptoms out it could be something more serious than magnesium deficiency. Simple blood test will show you if it is a deficiency or something else. Good luck I hope it's just a bit of temporary stress and like you say a deficiency of minerals and vitamins. But if it is something else, you want to know sooner rather than later.

much love

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Actually you probably did the best thing not seeing a Dr. Read on and you will see why.

Magnesium deficiency is the start of a cascade of failures in the body.

I had this racing heart symptom (called Atrial fibrillation) a number of times over the last 20 yrs and have been hospitalised a couple of times. I will never go again if I have feeling. I will always self treat. They nearly killed me.

I had blood work done and I was seriously potassium, vitamin D, phosphate and chloresterol deficient.

Mostly due to the low magnesium. The last time I was in A&E the Dr said to his charge, that most people are now magnesium deficient and as a precaution he gives all his patients magnesium.

So I did some research and found out that RAISINS have the highest magnesium per kilo. And you don't need too much of them to get what you need, Marzipan is good too if you take into account the sugar. And chocolate.
I take liver pate and marmite whenever I can too. Oragnic milk is good.
I also take magnesium chloride, as it is absorbed most easily. But you will need to take a good multivitamin and get more sunshine.
Bananas are not very good at all.

You see what TPTB know, is that white sugar and all refined food needs magnesium to be processed in your body. The more junk food you eat, the more magnesium you are losing!!!!!!!!!!!

Low magnesium can also look like a milk allergy, as the body will see the calcium as a toxin, as the body needs magnesium, calcium, vitamin D and Zinc altogether at the same time. Nutritionists call these the four foundational minerals. If one is deficient, ALL ARE DEFICIENT.

Too little sunlight (vitamin D) or too little veg and fruit (potassium) can also deplete magnesium. And so can Barium in those chemtrails, deplete potassium, further depleting magnesium.

It's all interconnected.

Also if your diet is too acidic you will lose calcium, and this can lead to low potassium and magnesium. This leads to chronic fatique. Magnesium is needed by the cells to produce ATP (Adenosine triphosphate); the fuel of cells.

Chronic Stress levels can deplete all the four foundational minerals leading to exhausted adrenals.

Heart muscles are very sensitive to low levels of calcium, causing it to race.

Low magnesium can lead to diseases that involve inflammation. 50% of heart attacks are caused by inflammation, not high chloresterol levels.

It is all interconnected.

And Drs only have 7 weeks on nutrition in their 7 yrs study. This is why you should never go to a Dr and ask them a diet question. They will not know and will only tell you the party line. This will lead to your death.

See a nutritional therapist.

PS. I too had bottled and then filtered water, as I can't digest chloride. This didn't help me either.

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by AriesJedi

So I did some research and found out that RAISINS have the highest magnesium per kilo. And you don't need too much of them to get what you need, Marzipan is good too if you take into account the sugar. And chocolate. I take liver pate and marmite whenever I can too. Oragnic milk is good. I also take magnesium chloride, as it is absorbed most easily. But you will need to take a good multivitamin and get more sunshine. Bananas are not very good at all. You see what TPTB know, is that white sugar and all refined food needs magnesium to be processed in your body. The more junk food you eat, the more magnesium you are losing!!!!!!!!!!!

Great info!!

And come to think of it, I had recently stopped eating chocolate because I was having a canker sore issue. I thought chocolate was the culprit, but I think it's a calcium or vitamin D deficiency (because I stopped drinking hard water and haven't gotten much sunshine lately.)

Yesterday after work, I started with a multi-vitamin, pumpkin seeds, bananas and canned spinach. I can already tell a difference in my blood pressure, my mood, canker sore issue, and my heartbeat hasn't gotten all wacky like it had been.

Who knows what it would have cost me (no insurance) to have a doctor come to the same conclusion!
However, it could be something else too, like the previous poster mentioned, but I'm poor so I'm taking my chances unless things get worse.

edit on 20-9-2012 by DeReK DaRkLy because: ...

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 05:03 AM
link   
How interesting that this thread pops up now!

For a year, I've been in and out of the doctor's office and ER with unexplainable chest pains. I've had echocardiogram, EKG, Angiogram, blood work, chest xrays, endoscopy, Hida scan, sonograms, CT scans, MRI, Barium imaging, and nothing...... can be found because every single test comes back normal! I was having bad acid reflux with this, so the doctor in the ER said it was esophagus having spams. So they sent me home with expensive antacids to take, and when I tried it, I got worse. Way worse.

I went to an old doctor on the rez who took one look at my skin on my hand and he said to me that I was low in minerals. He said that most doctors don't know how to treat this. Told me to go get some powdered magnesium at the health food store and mix it up in pure water and drink it. Also told me to get the homeopathic pellets, and that any time I feel spasm in my chest, put some under my tongue.

I walked away thinking..... yeah right. No way in hell does he know either. But my husband said we should try anyway so I did. And would you believe it! That man was right. All the way. Within the first two days of magnesium the pain in my chest was gone and has not come back yet.

And you see, I had been having severe leg cramps waking me at night. Sometimes, two charlie horses in one leg, and I'd wake up crying and walking the floors it hurt so bad. Those charlie horses went away too. Leg cramps are a sign of mineral deficiency sometimes.

I hope my post helps someone else. If you have chest pain and you read this, make sure you go see the doctor and get it looked over before going to the next step. Rule out heart problems first. For women, heart attack can feel like heart burn or esophagus. So don't ignore it.

What I do now as a regimen is calcium and mag. I sometimes go off for the week and just do epsom salt soaks in the tub. I soak a long time with a few cups of epsom salt. I also use the homeopathy when I want to take a break from the powdered mag citrate.

I feel different after correcting this!

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 07:30 AM
link   
i stopped smoking 2 months ago, and a week ago began taking vitamin supplements again.

before i get to magnesium, let me first note how unhealthy my diet has been for quite a while now... i eat a lot of carbs dairy, red meat, and just general snacking on junk and processed food. it's been getting better, but i was oblivious since malnutrition doesn't happen overnight. it's a slow process, and i just realized one day "wow, i've been eating so much garbage lately. that's probably why i feel so tired/sore/depressed." along with a promise to myself to start working on eating a healthier, more nutritious diet, i figured i'd begin taking vitamins again (i've taken them intermittently over the years, but it never stuck as a habit for whatever reason).

so i did some internet research to figure out what else i should take aside from a general women's multivitamin. magnesium, b-complex, glucosamine/chondroitin. i had just gotten home from work (third shift), ate a meal, and was just settling down with my laptop when i took the capsules, all at once. i continued to read some general articles on supplements when all of a sudden i felt this incredibly shift in, i don't know, mood and body feeling, i suppose - seriously, almost like i was high, as the above poster described his family members as feeling.

now, i'm quite familiar with the placebo effect. after a decade or so of recreational substance use, i've grown pretty adept at distinguishing legitimate, perceptible effects from placebo. honestly, if you're familiar with "altered states" in general you probably know exactly what i mean. anyway, it was NOT placebo - it's as if my body loosened up and lost some of its weight, like my muscles were tightly wound cords that were slightly loosened. my head felt a sort of buzzing, massaging feeling, i can't even really explain it. it was pronounced, though.

also, i felt tired. not tired in a body weary sense after a hard day of work, but the natural fatigue you feel when bedtime approaches. normally i stay up until late morning on the internet, brain still ready to information process but pass out from body exhaustion. this strange state made me feel a sort of natural tiredness that i hadn't felt in a long time. it's so strange to describe it, especially since i know it sounds like bull$hit. i don't know that i'd believe it coming from someone else if i hadn't experienced it myself, honestly. a few supplements having such pronounced, perceptible effects? a mere HOUR after taking them for the first time in months?

it sounds ridiculous, i'm sure. but from a biological standpoint it makes sense... i was so malnourished my body was literally crying out for the essential nutrients it was deficient in. of course i felt a sort of "high" feeling - my cells received the basic supplies it needed to adequately function for the first time in perhaps months. i haven't experienced it to that extent since after taking my daily supplements, but i do feel the natural fatigue about 30mins-1 hour each night (well, morning for me!) after taking them. so strange, honestly. i can't believe i was so malnourished, it freaks me out honestly.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 10:36 AM
link   
One thing that's also important to note is that alcohol abuse causes acute magnesium deficiency.

alcohol acts acutely as a Mg diuretic, causing a prompt, vigorous increase in the urinary excretion of this metal along with that of certain other electrolytes.

source

edit on 21-9-2012 by elderos because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Magnesium is a mineral essential for bone health and nerve, muscle and immune system functioning. It helps stabilize blood pressure and blood glucose levels and enhances metabolism and protein synthesis.
You should also ensure you consume adequate amounts of vitamin B6, because this nutrient affects how cells absorb magnesium.

Is there a webpage where you can enter the food you eat on a typical day to see the amount of vitamins and minerals you're consuming?
Try www.caloriegame.eu.
It's looks kinda too simple, but works pretty good for me. Free just need to register on site.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeReK DaRkLy

I have no insurance, and certainly can't afford doctors and also can't afford to miss work.

This may be a little off topic, but next time just go to the emergency room. Lie to em about your identity, claim you don't have a social security number, and you are in the country illegally. They will be forced to see you and the state/fed will cover the bill. Simple

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by AngryAlien

This may be a little off topic, but next time just go to the emergency room. Lie to em about your identity, claim you don't have a social security number, and you are in the country illegally. They will be forced to see you and the state/fed will cover the bill. Simple

Lmao... should I also speak with an accent? I want to sound convincing! How about a Swedish one?

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeReK DaRkLy

Lmao... should I also speak with an accent? I want to sound convincing! How about a Swedish one?

That CAN help sell it. Also act confused and like you don't exactly understand them. Improper English is a must

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 10:31 PM
link   
I also developed some weird symptoms that i now attribute to lack of proper nutrition. For years, due to my busy lifestyle, i ate nothing but fast food and frozen meals. When i went to the grocery store, all i bought was the cheapest food, which consisted mostly of frozen meals. Frozen meals, especially cheap ones, are high in sodium and other chemical preservatives that you cant pronounce. I never ate a single fruit or vegetable for as long as i can remember. I sat on my butt all day at work, then i came home and sat some more.

I guess one day all this caught up to me. My heart started racing and i thought i was going to die. Luckily, i knew i might be able to control it by taking deep breaths, which worked. But this was just the beginning. I had premature ventricular contractions. my heart would skip beats, my face started twitching. I had pain everywhere, my chest, shoulder, neck, jaw. I had every symptom of heart attack and stroke, pressure, tightness, in my chest and head, vertigo, gas, abdominal pain, but all doctors and specialists say im fine. I always suspected im lacking minerals, and i have bought and tried many but they made it worse. Seeing this thread made me want to try again. Im going to try my magnesium supplements. This is a growing trend, these mysterious pains. something tells me a good diet would have prevented all of this. Look into the Paleo Diet maybe.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 01:24 AM
link   
Thanks OP! I know I have been deficient in the past, but it has been a while since I have taken any because I hate the taste. I just went and took some, just to be on the safe side, since I drink R.O. water.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join