It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

French Magazine Runs Cartoons That Mock Muhammad

page: 12
<< 9  10  11   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by detachedindividual

Originally posted by Pinke

Originally posted by detachedindividual
I respect the freedom of the press - when it's genuine - but there is a huge difference between having the right to say something, and saying something simply because you can.

I don't think I see the difference?

I guess there is a thin line between speaking to incite violence and just speaking up against someone who is threatening to incite violence if you speak. Personally, I think the Islamic community needs to learn to deal with this. It's bad enough that my match stick person Mohammad is going to get me sent to hell where I will recieve a 'painful punishment' but do you have to walk around the street setting fire to my stuff as well?

I can see another 'draw Mohammad day' coming.

I agree with you 100%. I've said before that I think it will take things like this to change the way these people think. But, as I've already said several times, we do not live in that world right now.

The difference for me is in the intention of the piece. This is not some accident, or some classy statement, it's a publicity stunt at the cost of potentially hundreds of lives.

They have traded-in common sense and decency for cash - just like the publishers of the Kate pics did. But these people have done far worse, pouring oil on a raging fire and deliberately trying to cause more destruction.

We know what the reaction is going to be to this. They knew exactly what they were doing. And they chose to do it for some extra publicity. That is what I find so sickening.

I agree that the motivation for publishing the cartoon is questionable at best.

However, I must ask you one question.

What is more sickening, that those responsible for releasing the youtube video and the cartoon knew exactly what they were doing, or that their alleged plan has worked to perfection in terms of inciting the anticipated/desired response?

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by DeadSnow
reply to post by Asktheanimals

Well it's sort of like having an argument with someone and insulting each other, it's all fun and games until somebodies mother gets mentioned. I don't see how the magazine benefits by insulting people, If they did the same to Christians I would have the same response. It's about respecting each others beliefs.

respecting each others beliefs??? the radical muslims don't respect ANY belief beside their own. they kill, maim, bomb, destroy anyone that disagrees with their religion. the mullahs and leaders actually come out and say it in public. where are the riots around the world for the actual killing of fellow muslims in syria?? the thousands of people killed there do not elicit any worldwide protests from the mullahs, because it doesn't unite the arab world against westerners.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by thePharaoh

Originally posted by Bluesma
I must give them credit-

I had just assumed that the Muslims in France woudl take advantage of this opportunity to raise hell, and I wasn't the only one!
Maybe I am speakign too quickly, but so far there has been only peaceful protest, and not that much of it. My opinion of the Muslim population here just went up a notch- they might not be as easily manipulated as that.

Though I just got back from the grocery store, and it was really wierd- the place was jam packed with Muslim women? Like i have never seen. Made me wonder why.

funny that....its propaganda that made you think anything else.

we are all human....

one word which will help all of us through life...respect

peace

No, no.... seeing half my city burned for no other reason than the young muslim guys were bored, having a collegue attacked and his store robbed by them, having my house damaged by handmade bombs, and rocks thrown at me were largely influencial in my expectations.

edit on 22-9-2012 by Bluesma because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 11:54 AM
link   

most of you are idiots

i hear comment like "good on them"..."walking on egg shells"

and the best one..freedom of speech

there is no news here...no public interest....just degrading mockery that is blasphemous...with no intent other than to fuel rage

if its freedom of speech, then i dare you to make an anti-semetic remark!.....or even praise hitler.
you cant because TPTB have neutered you and you dont have the balls to challange it.....but to offend billions of people and have our ambassodrs killed seems to be ok by you.

I CANT BELIEVE PEOPLE ARE BACKING THIS DEMONIC JESTOR OVER RESPECTING SOMEONES FAITH
reminds me of the story of jesus and Barabbas...and the fanatical short sighted morons picked barabbas...

goes to show,, anyone backing this BS...is more fanatical and more dangerous than most

peace
edit on 21-9-2012 by thePharaoh because: (no reason given)

The problem isn't the cartoons. It isn't a poorly made video.

It's the Pavlovian reaction to it.

Where most people would simply say to themselves, "Well, the person who made that cartoon is a moron, who doesn't understand the religion.", these people say to themselves, "Well, I don't like that video, let's go out and destroy the neighborhood and kill people."

People say "Why did they print those cartoons, when they knew what the reaction would be?"

Who is to more to blame, the one taunting with a cartoon, or the one who responds with violence to it?

Meh, I am tired of all religion. Islam, Christianity and Judaism are responsible for more war, death and misery than any other force on earth. Idiots all, claiming they have the best imaginary friend in the sky.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Darkrunner
Meh, I am tired of all religion. Islam, Christianity and Judaism are responsible for more war, death and misery than any other force on earth. Idiots all, claiming they have the best imaginary friend in the sky.

You know the Mongol invasion killed between 30,000,000 and 70,000,000?

Ghengis Khan supported religious freedom for the most part. It's listed as one of the bloodiest conflicts outside of World War II which wasn't religious either.

I'd actually say people out to do the world some good are responsible for more deaths than most. I don't think Hitler, Stalin, or even Ghengis Khan woke in the morning trying to destroy the world but they had a red hot go at it.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by sk0rpi0n

Its like claiming to have evidence of something absurd, like say the Queen of England actually being a shape shifting reptilian and the waving it around as "truth" and challenging people to prove that its not.

There's no relevance. I do wonder why someone would spend time to type such utter nonsense.

The answer to all of your questions : No.

Then kindly, go inform yourself before you speak another word of that which you know NOTHING about. It would be the fair and intelligent thing to do, seeing as you don't know the struggles of people in those places. You think it's all happy and fine because you bought into their governments propaganda. Isn't that sad? Claiming you can see through American propaganda yet you fall for the crappiest of crappy propaganda from some Muslim set.

You seem to have a problem with muslims and how they live their lives according to their religious laws. Do you live in a place where muslims are forcing you to live under Shariah?

I don't have an issue with people leading their lives the way they see fit. The moment where I start having problems is when they enforce their rules and laws on other people. That includes people that live in those countries and have to suffer barbaric Islamic culture. The point is not about Muslims forcing me, (try to stay focused skipper!), the point is people calling themselves Muslim enforcing Islam onto others and then through a system of social hierarchy of sorts(violence plays a VERY big part)

Thats rich coming from someone who believes Islam was created by the Vatican.
If thats what you believe about Islam, then I simply cant take anything you say about Islam seriously.

I come from Islamic culture, I've witnessed it and so have all the generations in my family before me. I don't care what you think you know, because the truth of the matter is, you simply do not have a grasp of how the culture works.

Riddle me this: How many people flee to Islamic countries with sharia law because they want sharia law? Okay... how many people flee from Islamic countries with sharia law to places without sharia law because they don't want sharia law? It's simple. If you are, as you claim or as you wish to present yourself, a person that stands up for the rights of fellow human beings - what are you doing focusing on the rights of Muslims in Western countries for? They're not in danger! They're doing better than ever, better than most if not all their ancestors. People in Islamic countries, however, are in danger and are being killed by their own government for speaking out. Speak out for them if you really care, or simply research these things thoroughly and see for yourself.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by ClicheCalvicade
Talk about hypocritical, a Westerner defending violent Islamic culture and claiming the people opposed to violent riots by religious zealots are "out of touch, moronic and dangerous", while I would wager money that you have never lived in Islamic culture with sharia law, let alone have family there you care about.

talk about hysterical!!!

shariah law??? were talking here about mockery and incitement....end of

violent islamic culture??....hypocritical.........think about it
"sadam bin zawwahri" sticks his head out of a cave...all he sees is desert, marines and bombs.
when he goes back into his cave...he watches our movies....including this "new" one
then they read comments like yours

So wait, he can read. He can read English. He has a computer with internet access. He can understand English and keeps up with the latest movies. Obviously, he's had an education. YET, he lives in a cave? Do you read what you type after you type it?

all im saying is......if you dont like religion...then leave it alone...why are you mocking them?

This is just pathetic. Maybe you should educate yourself like that hypothetical cave man. Read some history. Totalitarian ideologies, which religions fall under, should continuously be subjected to scrutiny and ridicule. Because if not, then people might take it too serious and humanity will be set back hundreds if not thousands of years. You want that because...?

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 06:51 AM
link   
Hitler and Ghengis Khan were religious and believed they were sanctioned by god or gods. Religous people always point out Stalin in Mao which one could argue only entailed more deaths because of technological advances. It is interesting to note that humanity has made more strides as irreligiousity has spread.

I know science has helped humanity. I know that indoor plumbing, electricity, the internet, and space exploration are not the result of praying or believing I'm saved because someone died for a humanity cursed over an apple or praying towards a cube-shaped building five times a day.

I am a former muslim, thank Allah! Islam has been historically more tolerant than traditional Christianity. Yet, I see no room for shariah, Talmudic, Catholic, Christian law in civilized society. Muslims have to learn how to behave like civilized people. They burn our flag and we don't lose it. Someone makes a video, another draws a sketch and they act like animals. They are hypocrites, like most religious people.

Newsthump.com has an article on a youtube video mocking atheists. You should go to the website and check it out.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Telos

How do you endanger a minority with cartoons and B rated movie? Are you out of your mind? Is your prophet less of a prophet because someone made e cheep movie about him or some magazines made a satire about him? Is not my fault that the minority has a savage mentality and a brain of a cave man to riot over some stupidities. Look for the fault in your community, stop blaming west for every thing. and most of all STOP VICTIMIZING over everything. Nobody cares about islam. If you feel you're not being respected as such then there is an easy solution: Go back where you came from. PERIOD !!!
edit on 21-9-2012 by Telos because: (no reason given)

i feel to tear my hair out

in france they are a minority...in their own countries this is illegal.....

no victimizing here...its simple.....some people wake up in the morning hoping to leave the earth in a WORSE place by the time they go back to bed.

a religion...one where they pray 5 times a day....is very real to them....is being mocked by one person
under the guise of free speech and french law...when neither apply here.

its never been free speech to incite.....and its never been french law to protect agendas of private individuals.
especially one that is a drain to the resource...and doing nothing for the state...other than closing the embassys and schools around the world.

im sorry but some of you lot have the same fundamental ingredients to the SS...must be in your dna lolol

peace

Well that would be one side of the coin. (just for the sake of saving your hair). The other side is that the rest of the world doesn't care if you pray 5 times a day or 50 times a day. So the concept is to relative. Besides, this is not a campaign fuled by the government or key figures in it, is an action from citizens and if you think they're breaking the law (there is no such law btw) then you can go to court, ask for the legislation to be changed and limit what can be constituted as free speech and what not, protest pacifically as is done in the western countries. The moment you riot as an animal, you set fire, burn buildings, kill people... you've lost the right to ask for rationality and the only answer you deserve is what I wrote in my previous post. If it fits, stay and respect the laws in the country that hosted you, if you don't like, GO BACK WHERE YOU CAME FROM !!!! As simple as it can get.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Gosh, some people really do get over-offended. I believe what happened to Christianity should happen to Islam - i.e. offend them so much that it will become commonplace and they will simply have to ignore it.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 04:18 PM
link   

This is just pathetic. Maybe you should educate yourself like that hypothetical cave man. Read some history. Totalitarian ideologies, which religions fall under, should continuously be subjected to scrutiny and ridicule. Because if not, then people might take it too serious and humanity will be set back hundreds if not thousands of years. You want that because...?

religion is a totalitarian ideology??????? i think i smell a communist

as for setting humanity back 100s of years.....isnt that what this guy done, mocking someone who died 1,400 yrs ago .....just saying

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 04:26 PM
link   

stay and respect the laws in the country that hosted you, if you don't like, GO BACK WHERE YOU CAME FROM !!!! As simple as it can get.

erm... i think i have to break this down, many of you make the same mistake.
seriously..pay attention here...it might sound sarcastic...but i have to dispell this ignorance:

France is a state.....Islam is a Religion.
which means, members of Frances State, could be muslim...or whatever religion

now....not only is france a state..its also a democracy.....which means a significant amount of voters are muslim.

so..shouldnt a democracy represent its voters...???

so tell me why you keep saying "go back were you came from"...when they are exactly where they came from.

same thing with isreal....it has a large christian community and a muslim community
edit on 24-9-2012 by thePharaoh because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 01:50 AM
link   
They are using all this nonsence about muhammad to cover up other things that are going on right now. The Muslims are playing right along with "their" agenda and they don´t even realise it!

There is more to the world than muhammad or any other religious deity. Religion has been used for that purpose since its creation. So wake up people... err sheeple...It´s making me sick..

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 03:08 AM
link   

religion is a totalitarian ideology??????? i think i smell a communist

as for setting humanity back 100s of years.....isnt that what this guy done, mocking someone who died 1,400 yrs ago .....just saying

Religion is a totalitarian ideology. Simple. No I'm not a communist, but when you offer me an ideology and in that ideology matters are distinguished by good and bad, then you just offered me a totalitarian ideology. It's prevalent in religion, ESPECIALLY, Islam. I don't really know why you would show yourself to be so ignorant, but thanks.

Mocking someone who died 1400 years ago equals to setting humanity back 100s of years? Seriously? That has to be a joke, you can't literally be that stupid to mean it.

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 08:10 AM
link   

stay and respect the laws in the country that hosted you, if you don't like, GO BACK WHERE YOU CAME FROM !!!! As simple as it can get.

erm... i think i have to break this down, many of you make the same mistake.
seriously..pay attention here...it might sound sarcastic...but i have to dispell this ignorance:

France is a state.....Islam is a Religion.
which means, members of Frances State, could be muslim...or whatever religion

now....not only is france a state..its also a democracy.....which means a significant amount of voters are muslim.

so..shouldnt a democracy represent its voters...???

so tell me why you keep saying "go back were you came from"...when they are exactly where they came from.

same thing with isreal....it has a large christian community and a muslim community
edit on 24-9-2012 by thePharaoh because: (no reason given)

Look, I don't really like getting involved in a futile conversation. No need to complicate things. We both know that the thread is about extremist elements within a religion. And stop playing ignorant. France is a catholic country. Muslims there are all emigrants who came to a point in time. So I say go back where you came from because that's the kind of mentality they don't wanna give up. Doesn't bother me sir, keep it and eat it if you want, but not at my door.

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11   >>

join