It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

French Magazine Runs Cartoons That Mock Muhammad

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 07:08 AM
link   
reply to post by ronnypeppers

Seems that a demo which was going to go ahead has been banned from going ahead in Paris amid fears of something real bad kicking off:

news.sky.com...

And the guy who is running the mag gets armed guard!!

snippet from story:

Protests are banned at a Paris mosque amid the furore over a US video and the publication of new cartoons of the Prophet Mohammed.

Muslims have been told not to stage a protest in Paris, while the editor of the magazine that published cartoons of the Prophet Mohammed has been placed under armed guard.

It comes after France's interior minister said he would not allow any protests over the film Innocence of Muslims after a violent demonstration last weekend near the US embassy in Paris.

Meanwhile, the editor of a French satirical magazine that ridiculed the Prophet Mohammad by portraying him naked, was under armed guard as he made his way to the Charlie Hebdo offices on Thursday morning.

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 07:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating
Marketing has never been easier. What a way to get Millions of website-hits.

This is not marketing. If it was marketing they'd make sure that Muslims would also buy it.

You know what is marketing though?

The whole circus around the year 2012, aliens and world doom.

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 07:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by ClicheCalvicade

This is not marketing. If it was marketing they'd make sure that Muslims would also buy it.

Are you sure its not marketing? An obscure magazine nobody outside of a small circle knows or cares about suddenly becomes world-famous, generating Millions of website hits across the internet for nothing more than a few pictures of questionable quality.

Marketers know controversy sells and they milk the bandwagon for all its got.

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 07:51 AM
link   
They should send this "artist" to a middle eastern country.

I wonder what sort of cartoon theyd make of him.
edit on 20-9-2012 by mikeone718 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 07:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by mikeone718
They should send this "artist" to a middle eastern country.

Who is "they" and....exactly why should they do this?

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 07:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

If it's just marketing, should ATS try for the same instant fame by featuring this type of bigotry and hate in its banner? Imagine the 'hits' we'd get! Problem is, the owners might need protection too.

I find this kind of thing nothing short of loathesome.
edit on 20/9/12 by masqua because: sp

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 08:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by thePharaoh

Originally posted by Asktheanimals
Oh God no! Not a cartoon!
If they don't like it they can move back to a country that doesn't allow it.
Otherwise live like the French.

what?? so being french means i have to be disrespectful?????

um...they dont like it, and, they are already in their own countries.....

the closet racists are really showing their true colours this week
edit on 19-9-2012 by thePharaoh because: (no reason given)

Being French as being a citizen of any Western country means I have the freedom to express my opinions whether you like it or not. Don't you or anybody else dare take that away. Just sayin'.

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 08:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Jepic

The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Maybe so... but you're not on French soil, you're on ATS and there is a quaint little rule here:

16) Behavior: You will not behave in an abusive, libelous, defamatory, hateful, intolerant, bigoted and/or racist manner, and will not harass, threaten, nor attack anyone.

Freedom of speech is, and should be, restricted here.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by masqua

If it's just marketing, should ATS try for the same instant fame by featuring this type of bigotry and hate in its banner? Imagine the 'hits' we'd get! Problem is, the owners might need protection too.

I find this kind of thing nothing short of loathesome.
edit on 20/9/12 by masqua because: sp

Not in my wildest dreams would I make money off ridiculing peoples faith. But plenty of people do and will continue to do so....unless of course we implement a thought-police like system in which bad thoughts about others are illegal.

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Are you sure its not marketing? An obscure magazine nobody outside of a small circle knows or cares about suddenly becomes world-famous, generating Millions of website hits across the internet for nothing more than a few pictures of questionable quality.

So what ? This is freedom, capitalism ,free market bla bla ...So many milioners now made their money from stupidiest things .

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Not in my wildest dreams would I make money off ridiculing peoples faith.

Neither would I, but I am a member of this website which is presently getting 'hits' off that cartoon and the film. That might be 'at arm's length', but I still don't have to like being a party to it. This is why I'm stating my disgust here. Not because I approve of the resultant rioting by muslims (I don't), but because I can't abide the senseless provocation. It can only lead one way, which it already has... dead people.

But plenty of people do and will continue to do so....unless of course we implement a thought-police like system in which bad thoughts about others are illegal.

My 'thought police' are the T&C's. No more and no less.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 08:30 AM
link   

reply to post by Jepic

Maybe so... but you're not on French soil, you're on ATS and there is a quaint little rule here:

16) Behavior: You will not behave in an abusive, libelous, defamatory, hateful, intolerant, bigoted and/or racist manner, and will not harass, threaten, nor attack anyone.

Freedom of speech is, and should be, restricted here.

Well then don't threaten my freedoms and I shall not threaten yours.

And that fancy quote up there. Yea, you can take that to those people in the middle east and north africe doing the rioting. Maybe they see the light.

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jepic

I don't threaten your freedoms, you gave them up when you joined and agreed to the T&Cs

And that fancy quote up there. Yea, you can take that to those people in the middle east and north africe doing the rioting. Maybe they see the light.

I think I already did, IF they've got a computer and can log on to the web. Maybe they'll join themselves and respond.

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 09:20 AM
link   

I don't threaten your freedoms, you gave them up when you joined and agreed to the T&Cs

I think I already did, IF they've got a computer and can log on to the web. Maybe they'll join themselves and respond.

I didn't give up snip. I'm not the one breaching T&C. You people that want to silence other people so as to not offend anyone are the ones breaching T&C.

I recall seeing a member call us "morons" in the first pages of this thread I believe. Now who is the one breaching T&Cs? Well that's some double standards there ey...

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 09:38 AM
link   

I didn't give up snip. I'm not the one breaching T&C. You people that want to silence other people so as to not offend anyone are the ones breaching T&C.

You had to agree to this when you signed up:

Also, I am not "you people". I'm a member of this website and voicing my opinion in view of the above rule.

I recall seeing a member call us "morons" in the first pages of this thread I believe. Now who is the one breaching T&Cs? Well that's some double standards there ey...

Did you alert it instead of just pointing fingers somewhere?

edit on 20/9/12 by masqua because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 09:48 AM
link   
What's the deal with Muslims being so overly sensitive about this stuff?
I don't understand what would drive someone to do unspeakable things in response to an obvious attempt at baiting the insane or a comedic reference.

Walk it off, Muslims. Mohammed is not special and the rest of the world will poke fun at everyone. From Jesus on Family Guy to Monty Python movies. It's all in the name of laughter.
If you cannot handle the ways of the world, perhaps it's not the world that has the problem.
Brain washing to the extreme! You drew a picture I don't like so I'm going to kill you? W O W

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Being French as being a citizen of any Western country means I have the freedom to express my opinions whether you like it or not. Don't you or anybody else dare take that away. Just sayin'.

'Freedom of speech' is actually restricted in France, Denmark, Sweden, Germany, Iceland ... etc etc etc ... Some people aren't allowed in Canada because of hate speech, too.

America is one of the few western countries that protects hate speech as a civil right as far as I know. I could go into the whole 'what is freedom of speech' but that's a really long debate with lots of words and I'm tired.

Regarding T&C freedom stuff ...

The majority of the things that T&C restricts is illegal anyway where I am.

I don't think I give up freedoms when I agree to appropriate non-muddy footware in my friend's house. Nor do I give up any freedoms when I agree not to bring my motor bike inside the local roller derby rink and set fire to it. If someone is rude and I ask them to leave my house, I haven't 'restricted their freedom' in the sense that is being implied. ATS has influenced how I think ... its never policed my thoughts. (I'm thinking about a banana with eyes just now, try and stop me!)

If anything, the fact I'm following the rules is an endorsement of freedom really. IE ... I agree not to damage Springer/SO's etcs ... stuff and like being a guest in their house and respect their property. I'm respecting the site owner's freedom not giving up my own, and I think it's an important distinction in some ways. Pretty sure if the ATS server was in France it would be the same, too.

I'm being pedantic I guess, I understand what you were trying to say ... I just suspect there were nicer ways of saying it? Dunno.

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Charlie Hebdo is not "an obscure magazine nobody outside of a small circle knows", it's very well known in France and its reputation is quite good actually (and no, they're very, very far from being racists, islamophobics or whatever they could be accused of), even though they're not a huge structure. The fact that you don't know it doesn't mean it's some obscure s***** newspaper printed by students and distributed to less than a hundred readers. It may not be the Times but still.

And that talk about "website hits" is just gibberish, they are known for not giving a f*** about who they write on if they have something to say.
They were the ones that got their HQ raided and computers stolen because they were going to release a paper about Sarkozy's campaign funding, they also were the ones that got their office burned because they published a caricature of Muhammad six years ago. They have been releasing papers about politics, religions (and I can tell you that every religion has been tackled), public figures, everyone and everything.

If there is a paper that is doing what its doing for freedom of speech, it's this one.

And I'm really not fond of journalists (i don't own a TV, I'm not really a newspaper reader and journalism on internet is a joke).
edit on 20-9-2012 by BobbyTarass because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by shells4u

True and yes those rioting or cause violence are idiots non the less but the media should also have learned their lesson by now, what benefit does it give them? Unless of course they have a hidden agenda. How would you feel if your bf kept calling you that over and over again even after you had learned to control your anger, eventually you would react one way or another.

I don't want to give people the impression that I'm supporting the strikes, but I cannot support the magazine either cause both parties are on the wrong.

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Is it not interesting that the French have not really been attacked as the Americans have been? I'd say this is proof that it's not about Mo. It's about Americans.

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join