It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is after money?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pervius
Money now is based upon its ability to get you fossil fuels.

Remove moneys ability to buy fossil fuels. It's definitely in our future.

What do you propose fossil fuels be purchased with?

please explain a little more to help me understand

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Barter.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 12:42 PM
link   
your given a tag or serial attachment to a card or implant that has a wage attached to it based off of what the Artificial Intelligence labeled you due to your work and social security history and then you are subtracted from the assessed wage. The wage is recycled monthly but is also based on your activities/labors performed. No labor you going broke... my 3 cents

edit on 9/19/12 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by jimmiec
Barter.

a barter system has never truly worked. Yes it worked in small villages and communities but it is not viable in a modern society.

Contrary to the popular opinion, there is no evidence of a society or economy that relied primarily on barter.[8] Instead, non-monetary societies operated largely along the principles of gift giving to form productive reciprocal obligations[8] and debt.[9]

History of Money

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ophiuchus 13
your given a tag or serial attachment to a card or implant that has a wage attached to it based off of what the Artificial Intelligence labeled you due to your work and social security history and then you are subtracted from the assessed wage. The wage is recycled monthly but is also based on your activities/labors performed. No labor you going broke... my 3 cents

edit on 9/19/12 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

this would be similar to the concept presented in the movie 'in time' correct?

basically lol

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by RABiam

I have not seen 'in time' but when compiling the data from various movies and the collective fears this was what I felt in response to your OP. deep.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Ophiuchus 13

Welcome to a world where time has become the ultimate currency. You stop aging at 25, but there's a catch: you're genetically-engineered to live only one more year, unless you can buy your way out of it. The rich "earn" decades at a time (remaining at age 25), becoming essentially immortal, while the rest beg, borrow or steal enough hours to make it through the day. When a man from the wrong side of the tracks is falsely accused of murder, he is forced to go on the run with a beautiful hostage. Living minute to minute, the duo's love becomes a powerful tool in their war against the system.

didn't remember it as well as i thought, its nothing like it lol.... and your idea is still better
)

for some reason, your post reminded me of the movie. Pretty good flick actually

edit on 19-9-2012 by RABiam because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by RABiam

I did see that movie now that you mention it because he had to make it thru zones in separated by time balances and if you run out and no one is there to help and add more time its over. Wild movie reminded me of Hunger Games somewhat.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Barter works great for me. Works for a lot of other people i know too. Hispanics use it to great effect. You must not have skills worthy of barter.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ophiuchus 13
reply to post by RABiam

I did see that movie now that you mention it because he had to make it thru zones in separated by time balances and if you run out and no one is there to help and add more time its over. Wild movie reminded me of Hunger Games somewhat.

'It really did! Probably the traveling through sectors. Under your idea, lazy people could still become broke and homeless and forced into stealing. However, sectors could be used. Section off those people that work how you work. If your one that likes to only work 6 hours a week because thats all you need, well you'll live in the 10 hour and under section. Envy and jealousy are powerful emotions, especially when you live next to someone that has soooo much more than you. It is almost impossible not to covet their possessions.

By sectors, i dont mean bad housing, middle housing and awesome housing. if we sector off, it must be equal. No one is stuck in a sector and can change sectors by changing work habits. The real question is, do we have enough jobs?

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by jimmiec
Barter works great for me. Works for a lot of other people i know too. Hispanics use it to great effect. You must not have skills worthy of barter.

LOL, i cant debate history that is has never been viable in a nation. yeah I can trade the dude down the street a burned dvd, for 3 shots of tequila.

Say you have a car payment due, house payment due, electric bill, gas bill, cell phone bill, and you still need food and clothes. I don't think you have enough to barter for all those at once.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 02:18 PM
link   
The thread is about what is after money. I never said i prefer the barter system to money. If not the barter system then what? I suggest you invest in some chickens/goats/cows if money no longer works.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaesDaemar
reply to post by PatrickGarrow17

I think that's the main problem, ethics. We would need to move away from coveting what our neighbour's have, becoming small communities that work together to create a greater one. The problem is that a system change can't just happen, peoples minds need to be changed and our leaders need to be less corrupt.

Laws would need to change too. A good way to do this and to keep politicians in line, would be to have a referendum on every decision. As leaders, they look for what's best for society, propose it to the population, and the population decides on whether they agree.

Your ideas in this post and the other are my ideas as well.

We can hope this becomes a reality before our species is either replaced or killed off.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by RABiam
Here is your chance to be an inspiration. Lets keep it short and sweet and hypothetical. Your are the President. The dollar collapses. People will not abandon iphones and bmw's. Materialistic desires continue to exist. Your solution is....

What I would do is convert our economic system to that of the days when people traded everything whether it was work for a house or a chair for a sofa (Of course there are better examples than these). This system is much more fair to all of humanity compared to a system based on a piece of paper which has no value.
edit on 19-9-2012 by ruthlesstruth because: grammar error

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by zonetripper2065
reply to post by RABiam

If money fails there will be no government, there will be no electricity
When money fails we will go back to the barter system.
edit on 19-9-2012 by zonetripper2065 because: (no reason given)

Electricity will not cease to exist because money fails. I still don't think the barter system is a viable option for a nation having to rebuild. I believe the government will see the failure coming and have a replacement ready...what it will be though, is yet to be seen. It is very hard to imagine other possible options outside of money and bartering. A few have posted great concepts.

I imagine that when money as we know it fails, they will create a different form of money, one we haven't seen and wouldn't even consider money. Not sure how it will based but a solution will come into existence. Hopefully we can all agree that it's the best avenue

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by ruthlesstruth

Here is your chance to be an inspiration. Lets keep it short and sweet and hypothetical. Your are the President. The dollar collapses. People will not abandon iphones and bmw's. Materialistic desires continue to exist. Your solution is....

What I would do is convert our economic system to that of the days when people traded everything whether it was work for a house or a chair for a sofa (Of course there are better examples than these). This system is much more fair to all of humanity compared to a system based on a piece of paper which has no value.
edit on 19-9-2012 by ruthlesstruth because: grammar error

This system does not take into account those that would have disabilities. Would it become a communal obligation to care for these people?

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by zonetripper2065
reply to post by RABiam

If money fails there will be no government, there will be no electricity
When money fails we will go back to the barter system.
edit on 19-9-2012 by zonetripper2065 because: (no reason given)

Electricity will not cease to exist because money fails. I still don't think the barter system is a viable option for a nation having to rebuild. I believe the government will see the failure coming and have a replacement ready...what it will be though, is yet to be seen. It is very hard to imagine other possible options outside of money and bartering. A few have posted great concepts.

I imagine that when money as we know it fails, they will create a different form of money, one we haven't seen and wouldn't even consider money. Not sure how it will based but a solution will come into existence. Hopefully we can all agree that it's the best avenue

It will need to be a whole 'reshaping' of society. Society flourishes on having a monetary value, changing that thinking takes time, but if the monetary system collapsed overnight and we had to find something else, we would. Humans don't like change, but left with no other choice, we are highly adaptable.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by MamaJ

Originally posted by DaesDaemar
reply to post by PatrickGarrow17

I think that's the main problem, ethics. We would need to move away from coveting what our neighbour's have, becoming small communities that work together to create a greater one. The problem is that a system change can't just happen, peoples minds need to be changed and our leaders need to be less corrupt.

Laws would need to change too. A good way to do this and to keep politicians in line, would be to have a referendum on every decision. As leaders, they look for what's best for society, propose it to the population, and the population decides on whether they agree.

Your ideas in this post and the other are my ideas as well.

We can hope this becomes a reality before our species is either replaced or killed off.

I'm from a small town of 1600 people. Community works very well in such places.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 07:14 PM
link   
The BTU.

Absolutely everything is about, and dependent upon energy. Even humans are rated in the BTU for A/C calculations (typically 400 sedintary)

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 07:35 PM
link   
change?

<< 1    3 >>

join