It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mitt Romney does not understand how one creates a dirty bomb.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 03:18 AM
link   
Yet another "gaffe," which is political soft talk for ignorance on a subject, from Mitt's secretly recorded fundraiser or "the Night of One Thousand Gaffe's." In an apparent attempt to fear monger over Iran's alleged nuclear weapons program Mitt Romney illustrated he does not understand what a dirty bomb is. He explained a far fetched scenario in which Iran gives fissile material to Hezbollah, which they in turn use in a dirty bomb that they bring to the U.S., where they threaten with it as a bargaining chip if the U.S. looks toward Iran.. or something like that. Just fear mongering at it's finest if you don't pay attention to the details.

His words:

If I were Iran, if I were Iran—a crazed fanatic, I'd say let's get a little fissile material to Hezbollah, have them carry it to Chicago or some other place, and then if anything goes wrong, or America starts acting up, we'll just say, "Guess what? Unless you stand down, why, we're going to let off a dirty bomb." I mean this is where we have—where America could be held up and blackmailed by Iran, by the mullahs, by crazy people. So we really don't have any option but to keep Iran from having a nuclear weapon.

What Mitt apparently didn't know is that fissile material isn't required in a "dirty bomb." Iran wouldn't need a nuclear weapons program to create one. Those type of bombs only require nuclear material, medical waste or energy waste would suffice, and since their energy program isn't in question the weapons program would not be needed. Iran has had a nuclear energy program for 30 years or so, and so have always had the means. It could be easily argued that a country wouldn't even need a nuclear energy program to create one.

So it turns out to be an elaborate Mitt fantasy to add a little fear mongering into the night where he called half of Americans mooches, and said much worse about Palestinians. Seems like the only time Romney isn't saying something stupid to the people (or slimy to his rich folk) is when his foot is lodged in his mouth.

My personal opinion is that, despite agreeing that Iran is run by nuts, they aren't anymore of a threat than Iraq was before we invaded. I just can't believe we are being pitched the same story a second time in less than a decade. Can we really afford another WMD hunt? This time we are hearing claims of intention to create theem (at least this time they won't have to admit they aren't there, we already know that). I am with Dr. Paul here, let's get out and take our aid with us (including Israel's). We will be less hated and save money. As for Romney he has shown so many dark sides and ignorance (whether real or strategic) that he has the makings of a terrible leader. He seems dangerous to me.

Source: Boing Boing
edit on 19-9-2012 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 03:23 AM
link   
Mitt likes to speak before he knows facts about situations, he's really not a good leader.

Plus Iran could just go buy a Nuke on the black market.

edit on 19-9-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 03:45 AM
link   
reply to post by RealSpoke

Definitely. I think the real threat in the middle east, actually the only threat is Pakistan. Their nukes are far from secure. I often wonder if that's what keeps our aid heading there. They have us over a barrel. If we split from pakistan we lose inside info on a lot of bad things.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 03:50 AM
link   
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

Oh man they're seriously gonna invade Iran???? We all get to watch CNN yayyy! We saw the movie desert storm 1 and 2, and now we've been waiting for 3 for so long. Maybe it will finally come out in HD quality. Or maybe I can get the blue-ray and watch it on my projector! As I like to see the murder in high res! We for sure can watch it live on CNN as we need our war fix! And I heard that part 3 is gonna be the best of the trilogy! We can watch little kids get blown to smithereens by lazer guided cruise missiles! Sounds like fun I can't wait!!! There's nothing better than to watch our troops protect our nation by blowing up little children. Because after all those little kids are probably taroar-ists working for al-CIA-duhh. Because we all know that basically ever child in the middle east is a taroar-ist!!! Why we haven't nuked them yet is beyond me. But at least we'll see more like this...Those little Iranian children and babies, it's time to pay the piper!!!

YESSSS .... Go green burays!!! HOO HOO Harahhh!

edit on 19-9-2012 by r2d246 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 03:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by GogoVicMorrow
]

What Mitt apparently didn't know is that fissile material isn't required in a "dirty bomb." Iran wouldn't need a nuclear weapons program to create one. Those type of bombs only require nuclear material, medical waste or energy waste would suffice, and since their energy program isn't in question the weapons program would not be needed. Iran has had a nuclear energy program for 30 years or so, and so have always had the means. It could be easily argued that a country wouldn't even need a nuclear energy program to create one.

Check out the bloke's work in my signature. He's a former airline pilot who turned UFO researcher after noticing arial's in airports he could not idientify, He ended up calculating when a nuclear test was going to be carried out in the pacific islands but he was out by 30 seconds. He did more research and calculated the timing of the next test to within 10 seconds. He also found that found that dirty bombs are just not possible.

I think there are threads here on ATS about his work.
edit on 19-9-2012 by learnatic because: typo

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 04:03 AM
link   
If he was Iran, "a crazed fanatic", yes.

But now he isn't and Iran can remain be Iran. Problem solved?

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 04:14 AM
link   
You all should read the Nuclear Regulatory Commissions monthly "Event Reports" that every month tell of radioactive material that has been lost or stolen across America.

Somebody's got enough radioactive material to make ALOT of dirty bombs. VERY poor security, tracking of medical and other nuclear materials.

Thousands of TONS gone missing or stolen over the decades.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 05:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by r2d246

Did you spell it that way on purpose? Love how you managed to bring up so many ME terrorist = CIA links.

Just not sure if you're serious.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 05:27 AM
link   
reply to post by learnatic

How is a Dirty Bomb not possible? It's the radioactivity that makes it dirty. It's not a nuclear detonation, you do know this right? It's just the payload that is reactive, and doesn't need to do anything special except irradiate the area that it is deployed in.

Or are you suggesting that radiation is harmless and wont harm anyone unless it meets specific criteria?

An air force pilot who becomes a ufo researcher because of aerials.

Must be great mates with john lear lmao.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 06:26 AM
link   
You do realize that the better dirty bomb will be the one made with the enriched fissile material right?

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by learnatic

What do you mean he found out dirty bombs aren't possible. Of course they are, it's a very simple blanket conncept for a conventional explosive that is packed with dangerous/radioactive material with the intention to spread that material when it explodes. There aren't really any questionns about their possibilit, they are fact.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Pervius

Wasn't it libya that was leaving yellow cake unsecured on their airport runways when they were handing it over to Russia to dismantle? I don't recall where I read that, may habe been a leak by w.l.

Also I remember Pakistan (in my opinion the biggest threat to America and the world) they were transporting nuclear weapons in regular vans and truck with no armor or security.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 04:45 PM
link   
That's fine. He knows how to make money and create jobs. We don't actually need a scientist as President anyway.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by 11235813213455

You do realize that what Romney is suggesting and you are standing with him on makes no sense? No weapons program or fissile material iis required. You missed the point entirely.

The better d. bomb would be the one that didn't cost a billion dollars to create and then waste millions of dollars in 90 percent enriched fissile material (that could be sold or used in a nuke) as a primitive dirty bomb. It would make little difference using fissile material and using 20 percent medical research, or even waste. It would be a waste and is completely non sensical.
I do love to see people defend Romney's ignorance no matter what though.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by jimmiec

On the contrary, he knows how to make money by destroying jobs. Do a little research. Read about Romney touring chinese factories where workers live cramped together and caged in.. and how he was visiting because Bain was buying the factory. Romney knows how to make money from destroying the economy and sending work to China. You people are choosing to remain blind and ignorant.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by jimmiec

Oh, I also like that you suggested that in order to understand a dirty bomb, a concept a toddler could grasp, one might need to be a "scientist." I think a president should know and understand these things. How can he make decisions and react to an incident, if one should occur, if he doesn't understand what's happened. It's really as simple as "you put the lime inn the coconut."

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 03:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by winofiend

Originally posted by r2d246

Did you spell it that way on purpose? Love how you managed to bring up so many ME terrorist = CIA links.

Just not sure if you're serious.

I was trying to be sarcastic of course. The US has been at war almost constantly ever since columbus arrived! Think about it??? They never stop warring.

French n Indian
Revolution
Civil
Spanish
WW1
WW2
Korea
Vietnam
Cold war
Lebanon
pan american drug wars 80's
Panama
war on drugs
war on terrorism
Desert Shield
Desert Storm 1
War on Drugs
Desert Storm 2
Arab Spring Wars
War on there own civilian population now
Possible Iran war

It's such a beautiful magnum opus of death and destruction all summed up!

edit on 20-9-2012 by r2d246 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 11:13 PM
link   
reply to post by r2d246

That's a huge list and I'm sure it's far from complete. There's Yemen, and Kosovo, and probably so ops in Africa.

new topics

top topics

join