It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nuclear fusion nears efficiency break-even

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 02:53 AM
link   

Nuclear fusion nears efficiency break-even

www.tgdaily.com

Nuclear fusion is very close to the point where the amount of energy produced by the system equals or surpasses what's been put in.

Sandia scientists say that magnetically imploded tubes called liners, intended to help produce controlled nuclear fusion at scientific "breakeven energies or better, have functioned successfully in preliminary tests.

It's a key test of a concept called Magnetized Liner Inertial Fusion (MagLIF),based on magnetic fields and laser pre-heating.

In the dry-run experiments, cylindrical beryllium liners remained reasonably intact as they were imploded by the
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 02:53 AM
link   
I saw this and did a quick search and didn't see it posted. I thought this was interesting. I knew they were shooting for this for decades. The almost impossible is now almost in ready. Or so we hope.

If this pans out it will change the way Earth uses and creates energy. Let's hope it comes to pass.

It will cut down on potential warfare over resources in the future me thinks.

Fingers crossed

www.tgdaily.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 19-9-2012 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 03:14 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

That is just badass! You always make the best threads slayer.

If they can break even, then just a few more decades, or a couple of new pieces of tech..........the world could be truly free, in the literal sense of the word.

Gonna finish reading, SnF Slayer, another great thread!

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 03:26 AM
link   

I hope that it hels us to avoid future wars... but fuel is not only resource, that mankind needs

Anyway, it is a good news.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 03:30 AM
link   

The electricity will still be under centralized control and doled out for profit, so while it may help save the environment, I'm not so sure it will be cheaper. No doubt the fusion plants will be expensive but again.... it will be done for Profit, not the Benefit if Mankind

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 03:36 AM
link   
This combined with the recent articles on warp capability being more plausible, perhaps the future of man kind is brighter than the current world situation seems to lead us to think.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 03:49 AM
link   

Too bad we cant all have fusion powered cars
So unfortunately oil will be in demand. The problem is the cost to replace our infrastructure.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 07:10 AM
link   
I'm a little skeptical of this, anxious to hear whether these results are consistent and repeatable. Fusion has been pursued in the past by heating atoms as opposed to applying magnetic fields, as I understand. That line had the goal of a working reactor by 2019.

Even if magnetism is more effective, sounds like this is years away best case scenario.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 07:22 AM
link   
Here is the original PR from Sandia labs

Sandia Press Release

To exceed scientific break-even is the most hotly sought-after goal of fusion research, in which the energy released by a fusion reaction is greater than the energy put into it — an achievement that would have extraordinary energy and defense implications.

Something makes me think "defense" will take priority over cheap energy.

About Sandia

National security missions

We work with other government agencies, industry, and academic institutions to accomplish our missions in the following strategic areas:

Nuclear Weapons
Defense Systems & Assessments
Energy, Climate, & Infrastructure Security
International, Homeland, & Nuclear Security

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 07:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by OccamsRazor04

So unfortunately oil will be in demand. The problem is the cost to replace our infrastructure.

I thought that that little technical difficulty was solved years ago.

Anyway, this is good news and hope to see it in action in our lifetime.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 07:27 AM
link   
Amazing...

And this is HOT fusion...

There are also many researches going on now in the field of Cold fusion.

Another alternative HOT fusion project is that of Lawrenceville Plasma Physics, called "Focus Fusion", that is also making progress recently...

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 07:34 AM
link   

These goals — both the near-term goal of scientific break-even on today’s Z machine and the long-term goal of high-gain fusion on a future, more powerful machine — require the metallic liners to maintain sufficient cylindrical integrity while they implode.

Holy crud. They have to build something more powerful than this to test the high gain fusion.

This is going to take some time.
edit on 19-9-2012 by Zarniwoop because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Certainly promising news.
But whatever happened to spaghetti rossi cold fusion

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 10:23 AM
link   
I wonder if it will be possible to create a denser material for the liner, that is none the less thin and light weight, as required for efficiency? Perhaps material science will produce a solution to bump up the numbers even more!

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by benrl
This combined with the recent articles on warp capability being more plausible, perhaps the future of man kind is brighter than the current world situation seems to lead us to think.

You know, that was in the back of my mind when posting this story

Stay tuned people

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by OccamsRazor04

No, but we can all have Electric cars with an almost infinite supply of cleanly generated electricity.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Zarniwoop

Sad but true.
However many things we use in our daily lives had originally been develop in the Defense industry.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Very interesting. Thanks for bringing the article up.

My concern is that, who ever decides to impliment this technology first will be on a crusade for the required nuclear fuel and i got a feeling the richest deposits of this material is sitting underneath nations that will lack the ability to utilize it. So instead of war for oil, it will be war over the smaller amounts of nuclear fuel.

Unobtainium anyone
(Avatar Reference)

Perhaps i could be wrong, if so can someone enlighten me.

edit on 19-9-2012 by MDDoxs because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by MDDoxs

Theoretically speaking a glass of water could fuel a home for a couple of years.

This is that significant...

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Wow, i did not realize.

So smashing H2O molecules together will be possible and produce a excess amount of energy beyond what is required for the process with this technology?

My only practical reference is the sun for this process, so i appologize for my ignorance on the topic.

edit on 19-9-2012 by MDDoxs because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join