It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Humongous Roman mosaic found under farmer's field in Turkey (+video)

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Before I even read anything about this I though to myself, "Wonder if it was some kind of bathing set-up?" Sure enough, that was the first thing I read...gotta give it up for the Romans....looooved staying clean. SO MANY BATHS.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by grobi77
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

Sure, Hitler only rotated it 45° (I hear, he did it because this way it's more dynamic)
But it didn't seem to bring him fortune

He was screwing around with the occult towards the end of the war when his delirium, paranoia and madness became even more acute. Seems he went the way of Nero Caesar. I'd call it Divine Retribution.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 05:58 PM
link   
This is an interesting topic, i must look more into it as soon as i return home to my computer.

Marking this now to remind me later

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

they missed a bit with lead pipes? and yet flouride is classified as MORE poisonous then lead........

puts them in better shape then america

btw portland just passed into law water flouridation not sure if you knew bout that one,

beaverton has been doing it for years.
edit on 9/19/12 by pryingopen3rdeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 06:40 PM
link   
The Romans really did know how to design cool buildings.

If you were in the upper crust of Roman Society, you lived pretty well.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by pryingopen3rdeye
reply to post by benrl

they missed a bit with lead pipes? and yet flouride is classified as MORE poisonous then lead........

puts them in better shape then america

btw portland just passed into law water flouridation not sure if you knew bout that one,

beaverton has been doing it for years.
edit on 9/19/12 by pryingopen3rdeye because: (no reason given)

at least the Romans didn't know they where poisoning their pop with lead, yea Ive been following the fluoride thing, the vote by the council was a joke.

But Ive always had a reverse osmosis filtration system in my home, so no worries.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by BurningSpearess
I have no idea; I do believe that this floor is from Petra (the ruins and at one point one of the 7 wonders of the world) in Jordan...

It may be the planet Saturn, but to me it looks like an eye, more specifically: ʿayn al-ḥasūd, عين الحسود‎, "the eye of envy"???

I am amazed by the mosaics in Petra, but also, the ones in Madaba, Jordan that create a mosaic map of the holy lands...even at that time depicting places that others only became familiar with because of the mosaic itself...so not just an art form, but a historical teaching tool all in one....

Ahhh that would make far more sense of the symbol being an eye rather than Saturn.

The eye would be the Sun and so be far more compatible as the zodiac involves the procession of the Sun through the zodiac signs.

The Dajjal of Islam is said to be blind in one eye and it is described as a grape, which is allegory from the ancient Egyptian deity Horus who's eye was injured in his battle with Set. The grape representing the Moon and the Eye of Horus being the Sun.

Thank you sir.
edit on 19-9-2012 by FriedBabelBroccoli because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 09:11 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

wow nice i love it when they make finds like this.
the thing about such finds goes to tell you what history was lost when roman empire fell.
now the hunt starts to see if they can find out when it was constructed and who it may have belonged to.

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 03:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Maxatoria

Was thinking the same thing before I saw your post. He's not the Messiah, He's just a very naughty boy.

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 06:33 AM
link   

Yes Dave I agree. Makes You think of Life of Brian..
..Reg: But apart from the sanitation, the medicine, education, viniculture, public order, irrigation, roads, the fresh-water system, and public health, what have the Romans ever done for us?
PFJ Member: Brought peace?
Reg: Oh, peace? SHUT UP!

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 06:45 AM
link   
Wonderful find Slayer. S&F

I am imagining it to be the personal getaway for some richie rich kind of guy in those times.
If they found the mosaic and are assuming that it surrounded a swimming pool, have they found the foundations and remains of the house/place.whatever that it is attached to?

Sorry i can see only the pics since you tube is blocked at my work place!

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 07:25 AM
link   
No doubt Graham Hancock has found that the mosaic aligns with Orion's Belt and figures that not only is it at least 40,000 years old, but also that it is not really a mosaic.

Erich Von Daaniken is rushing out a new book entitled "Mosaic of the Gods".

Carl Sagan thinks the mosaic is terrestrial, but speculates that we might find similar mosaics when we encounter an alien civilisation.

The Christians think that it disproves evolution.

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 08:17 AM
link   
reply to post by MmmPie

There are some awesome Roman bath houses near, though here in the UK they are mostly covered, probably due to the weather, still good though, and many are well preserved.

On the point of keeping clean, it was written in the day that in a lot of the Baths there wasn't any outflow for the water so they were bathing in the same water, a lot and it was considered unhygienic by a contemporary doctor of the day.

Here are some of the local Roman baths

www.nationaltrust.org.uk...
www.romanbaths.co.uk...

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 08:32 AM
link   

thanks for posting, i always love when we can still find hidden treasures under a farmer's field

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
Humongous Roman mosaic found under farmer's field in Turkey (+video)

So far, the researchers have revealed about 40 percent of the mosaic. The floor is in 'pristine' condition, and would have fronted an open-air marble swimming pool flanked by porticos.

The mosaic, which once decorated the floor of a bath complex, abuts a 25-foot (7-meter)-long pool, which would have been open to the air, said Michael Hoff, a University of Nebraska, Lincoln art historian and director of the mosaic excavation. The find likely dates to the third or fourth century, Hoff said. The mosaic itself is an astonishing 1,600 square feet (149 square meters) — the size of a modest family home.

"To be honest, I was completely bowled over that the mosaic is that big," Hoff told LiveScience.

I found this to be a cool story. They've only excavated about 50% so far. But it seems to be almost complete and very well preserved considering it's about 2,000 years old. I can't wait to see the whole thing. Here is the video.

Enjoy

edit on 19-9-2012 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

Mosaic tiles wow and that is before they had the manufactured netting in the back. Now that was work!

The older the civilization the mystery becomes deeper for me. The Roman Empire is a great start. Now if only they could put half the effort in Gobekli Tepe we could really make history.

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Coll story ! Indeed. It seems to me that where there is one, there will be others. Thanks for this Slay.
SnF

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by wazzman

It could be a pyramid-shaped hill, yes. But I'm not sure whether they found any in that part of the world yet, except for these findings I guess. Pyramides in Turkey
edit on 9/20/2012 by messar because: link error

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Makes you wonder what other treasures await to be uncovered. Makes your head spin. 1000's of years could bury lot's of history.

www.foxnews.com...

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   

So that farmer just became an instant millionaire.. Does he get sole possession of it? Can he do with it as he pleases? If I was him, I would be selling the sh*t out of it and retiring on some beach...

Very cool pictures and story...

S & F

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Wow, imagine finding something like that in your garden!

Good post!

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join