It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Solar Oven makes salt water drinkable

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Thought this was a nicely designed piece of equipment. The video is not on youtube in English, so I could not posted the video here to play, but just click on the link to watch. The video is halfway down the page.
www.humansinvent.com...#!/8798/the-solar-oven-making-salt-water-drinkable/

I realize this is not a new idea, but the designer made it design friendly, and it is open-source, so the idea can be copied and modified by anyone.

I think he should have just started manufacturing it, I'd buy one. I can imagine this would be perfect for regular water that you want to just filter also.

THis is the video in Italian, the English version is on the above link.

edit on 18-9-2012 by SunnyDee because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by SunnyDee

Wow finally! A water purifier that i can fit in my pocket in case of emergencies............

No seriously unless i was planning on becoming a mountain hermit with a permanent camp in a secluded cave somewhere i would have no use for this product

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Imagine that industrial sized, with a turbine on the exhaust vent, you got power as well as a desalinization plant.

Water and power all with the sun.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 06:49 PM
link   

I can't see that making 5 liters of drinkable water in a day, is that what it is claiming on that website?

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 07:02 PM
link   
So far this is the best news for months on ATS.
Watching the pic and reading the desc, I think its pretty common survival method for getting fresh water from salt/muddy water.
The idea of simplifying it is really cool.

For people who take this as worthless, go make yourself fresh water from salt water, by your own hand or method.
I think you will start to respect the creation on your first litre.

Challenge: Make 3 litre of fresh water from 5 litre of salt/muddy water by your own hand.
Using ready made stuff = disqualified.
Water must be comparable to bottled mineral water quality - no germs, odor, taste or colours.

Prize:Self survival points increased by 50%
edit on 18-9-2012 by NullVoid because: challenge!

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 07:09 PM
link   
The site claims it makes 5 liters a day, yes. Why is that so remarkable? Have you seen a solar oven? It creates a lot of heat, heat creates steam, steam condensed becomes water again.

This is a very nice design and for the person that can only imagine a world where you would only need a tiny pocket water purifier, well, I don't know what to say to you. Just imagine a worst case scenario, where electricity is down for a period of time, say a week, and you don't have clean water to drink. I can imagine you could put your pool water in this and have drinking water by the end of the day, or if by a sea, salt water.

It is good to know these simple designs. You never know when it will come in handy in the future.

There is a reason this is in the survival forum.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 09:58 PM
link   

If you say so...... No I haven't experienced a solar oven. I've made solar stills, they haven't come close to 5 Liters in about 8 real hours of usable sunlight, even on the best of days.
edit on 18-9-2012 by pavil because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 03:31 AM
link   
eh, no it is not an original idea and the "open source" thing is just kinda put on there to get more support because in real life land "open source" means squat. If you can see it and see how the basic mechanics work then open source means NOTHING.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 08:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by pavil

If you say so...... No I haven't experienced a solar oven. I've made solar stills, they haven't come close to 5 Liters in about 8 real hours of usable sunlight, even on the best of days.
edit on 18-9-2012 by pavil because: (no reason given)

Michigan is not really known for its hot climate
The solar oven shown and used in the pics is in India which is a tropical country. Nevertheless, if not 5 liters, it might produce 2 to 3 liters in Michigan (atleast during the peak summer) which can be bottled off
However is there a salt water source in Michigan? Unless the ground contains salt water (highly doubt it). The oven seems to be useful for coastal states and surrounding lands where salt water can be found with minimal digging of the ground. Nevertheless, a useful equipment that doesn't require any artificial energy except sunlight to produce something that our body needs to survive.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by hp1229

Guess they must generate a lot more heat then I imagine.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   

I just bought a 32 pack of Nestle pure life water at Sam's club the other day for $3.95......

Stock up that way and save your time.....

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   
I am pretty shocked the half the people that have responded in this thread, take clean water so lightly, apparently.

Really? Stock up on some bottled water? Ok, well that's great for short term, but in the event of a massive electrical failure in the U.S. clean water in bottles will be gone in no time, like minutes.

You don't have to like this piece of equipment, you can think it's of no use, but check out the science behind it for your own knowledge if nothing else.

Or don't visit the survival forum if you just want to belittle an appropriate survival tool.

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 01:28 AM
link   
I like it! Great concept in a nice design. As someone who buys 15 gallons of filtered water a week, I wouldn't mind having one of these! It could quietly work in the background. I love the non electrical aspect too.
Going to copy the info and take it to my 'green' professor, he's always building and testing water distillation and sanitation methods .(hoping to snag one of his experiments someday)

Good find, thanks for posting it!

edit on 20-9-2012 by Starcrossd because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 02:27 AM
link   
I think it's interesting. Though not for everyone, I'm sure this device will suit some folks needs just fine. There are many ways however to capture, create from salt, distill, or simply find clean drinking water in the wild. People everywhere should study up on these techniques - just in case.

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 03:15 AM
link   
After watching the design I think its pretty much still inefficient. Compared to solar still however, its still a winner, I doubt it will be used extensively by the Indians (the easy carrying on the head didnt help much). Its because the design.

For survival / islander / desert / marsh category, its really recommended, for daily use - nope, unless you are in the first category.

I'm pissed, my prepped water storage drained by my wife, took me 5 days to prepare it and she did it within 1 hour.
Yeah, should follow the rules - dont prep alone.

top topics

join