Should Smokers Pay Extra Taxes For Universal Healthcare?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Ok, firstly I am against universal healthcare first and foremost
I think it's wrong and absurdly inneficient and immoral.

Now with that said, if such a system is forced down my throat should Smokers Pay more taxes for healthcare?

The Amount of money being poured on smokers is ridiculous
And it seems wrong to me that smokers pay equal amount of taxes but as a group take up so much in healthcare costs under a univseral system

Thoughts?

+34 more 
posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 05:40 PM
link   
As long as the following groups also pay more:

The Elderly.
The Obese.
The Perpetually Sick ( as in, disease you can't get rid of)

SEe what a slippery slope that one is?

~Tenth

+9 more 
posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Smokers already pay with the crazy taxes on sigarettes. And since they die younger, just look how much someone getting near 100 of years, how much that cost.

+ should car owners also pay more? since they make the air unhealthy.
If you live 50m from a highway, you are in high risk of getting heart deceases etc.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 05:43 PM
link   
smoking is a freedom of personal choice, yes its addictive but so what. The fact we pay 4-15 dollars a pack depending on where you live is larceny or something near that. And its not guarenteed that all smokers will burden the health care system. And also the health care system could be lying to a degree about how many people have visited due to smoking. I think we need a massive protest to bring cig prices back down to 2-3 dollars a pack. Id rather suffer than pay taxes to the government, only to get some disease and pay health care loads of money, you think smokers are going to get insured for causing their own problem. HEY GOVERNMENT LEAVE US THE HECK ALONE, GO SMOKE YOUR STOGIES AND LEAVE OUR CIGS ALONE.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

If you target one group, you have to target them all. Dont forget about alcoholics, drug addicts, people with spinal cord injuries, diabetics.........
Cant pick and chose.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 05:44 PM
link   
I grow plants that cleanse the air- do I get a discount?

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Should drinkers? Should anyone who was born with an illness? Or are we going to make exceptions for those who didn't inflict their extra costs on themselves, and just charge the people who developed illness after birth? And how will you screen that? How will you know what illnesses can be caused by what, and what the likelihood is that it developed naturally or was inflicted?

Be careful what can you're opening there, friend. There's a lot more questions and controversy where that came from.

link   

Smokers pay more Tax than than non-smokers! Half the price of a pack of cigarettes is tax these days if not more, smokers pay for their healthcare (if needed) in full.

link   
smokers already pay more in excise taxes than the social costs of their habits. And we live shorter, thus being less of a burden on society as all you healthy non-smokers will be.

link   
WTF is universal health care? Is that an American thing or must ET's and off world life forms comply also?

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 05:47 PM
link   
I think we should. Insurance companies shouldn't havemto cover a car that you track unless you pay more for the risky behavior. Same with smoking and the obese.

What do you find immoral about universal health care?

link   
This is why I have such a huge problem with universal health care. There so many different things to take into account. It is unfair on 1,000 different levels.

link   
reply to post by DarknStormy

American doesn't have it yet, but many other countries do ...

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Is that you Mayor Bloomberg?
I knew you were on ATS!

Because of this thread I'm purposefully switching to unfiltered Camels!
Plus I'm gonna start chewing tobacco while I lick the asbestos out of my attic!
Mmmm... Asbestos!

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by headorheart
reply to post by DarknStormy

American doesn't have it yet, but many other countries do ...

I have never heard of it... What is the catch with it?

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 05:52 PM
link   

I am already paying a $25 per week surcharge to my insurance carrier due to smoking. If someone lies to avoid paying the surcharge and gets ill they can deny coverage for them. I'll state the obvious by asking why other dangerous habits and hobbies are not subject to the same rules, such as.....
1.Obesity caused by poor diet, consuming junk food despite universal knowledge of the risk.
2. Bungee jumping, cliff diving, scuba diving, base jumping etc.
3. Alcohol consumption.
4. Being promiscuous, having unprotected sex.
I could list a thousand more, but I'm sure you see where I'm going with this.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Well if we make them pay more, I demand fat asses pay extra taxes as well!

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1
I think we should. Insurance companies shouldn't havemto cover a car that you track unless you pay more for the risky behavior. Same with smoking and the obese.

What do you find immoral about universal health care?

What about people who have medically induced obesity? In other words, the side effect of certain medications and/or mental issues.

And what about the mentally impaired?

Maybe a better solution would be to sterilize all non-productive, genetically inferior people. And while we're waiting for them to die off, maybe we can use them as cheap labor in some camps....

....that slippery slope slids straight to hell, my friend.

link   
Universal healthcare means that everyone will be cared for regardless of personal habits. As the previous poster says it's a slippery slope when you oppose 1 group of people then it opens the floodgates for more people to be omitted.
I don't get why people are so opposed to universal health care, the NHS despite it's issues is still one of the best things about British society. It should one of the basic things that a civilised society in the 21st century should have.

link   
reply to post by truthermantwo

It is a personal choice and I have no beef with people who smoke. Your are also correct that it isn't a guarantee that you will burden the health care system because of your smoking. However, there is also an absolute guarantee that my non-smoking will never burden the system.

P.S. roll your own cigarettes. it brings the price in my area from $6 a pack down to $1.50

new topics
top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join