It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Memo To Mitt Romney: The 47% Pay Taxes Too

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 11:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by karen61057
reply to post by schuyler

I dont believe that figure about 47% being on some kind of assistance like food stamps. No one in my entire family, sisters brother their kids, cousins, aunts and uncles, have ever been on any kind of assistance. We are not rich either. We are hard working middle class, ( at 50-70 K not 200K) people. If no one I know is on assistance then it cannot be 47 % because that would be one out of every two

Or it means that since you dont know anyone, someone else has their whole family on assistance. We're back to one out of every two.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 11:39 PM
link   
EVERYONE
pays taxes no matter what anyone tells you.

Accounts Receivable Tax
Building Permit Tax
CDL license Tax
Cigarette Tax
Corporate Income Tax
Dog License Tax
Excise Taxes
Federal Income Tax
Federal Unemployment Tax (FUTA)
Fishing License Tax
Food License Tax
Fuel Permit Tax
Gasoline Tax (42 cents per gallon)
Gross Receipts Tax
Hunting License Tax
Inheritance Tax
Inventory Tax
IRS Interest Charges IRS Penalties (tax on top of tax)
Liquor Tax
Luxury Taxes
Marriage License Tax
Medicare Tax
Personal Property Tax
Property Tax
Real Estate Tax
Service Charge Tax
Social Security Tax
Road Usage Tax
Sales Tax
Recreational Vehicle Tax
School Tax
State Income Tax
State Unemployment Tax (SUTA)
Tangible Taxes
Telephone Federal Excise Tax
Telephone Federal Universal Service Fee Tax
Telephone Federal, State and Local Surcharge Taxes
Telephone Minimum Usage Surcharge Tax
Telephone Recurring and Non-recurring Charges Tax
Telephone State and Local Tax
Telephone Usage Charge Tax
Utility Taxes
Vehicle License Registration Tax
Vehicle Sales Tax
Watercraft Registration Tax
Well Permit Tax
Workers Compensation Tax

You never seceded from the crown much less Rome

edit on 19-9-2012 by superluminal11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 12:01 AM
link   
reply to post by superluminal11

What does your post have to do with what Romney said?

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 12:09 AM
link   
Well written article actually. It spells it out.

Did you known 47% of Americans pay no Federal income taxes even though they have earned income?

…The explanation is simple: the income tax serves two masters. On one hand, it raises nearly half of all federal revenues. On the other, it delivers a broad array of social benefits in the form of exemptions, deductions, and credits that reward people for government-favored behavior… Over the past two decades, Congress has repeatedly used the income tax to encourage or subsidize specific activities. We subsidize kids with the child credit, college attendance with multiple higher education credits, retirement with all sorts of tax-favored savings plans, work with the earned income credit, and child care with, you guessed it, the childcare credit. And we’ve retained most itemized deductions that subsidize homeownership, state and local governments, and charitable giving…

I realize that people who pay no income taxes still pay payroll taxes and sales taxes and so on. And, those taxes can be a high proportion of income. Nonetheless, payroll taxes go to cover Social Security or Medicare when someone retires, they do not fund the Federal government. Sales taxes go to states and cities, not the Feds.

47% of Americans pay no income taxes

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 12:46 AM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

Here is the source for your picture.

www.taxpolicycenter.org...

The miss leading portion is they leave off most of the data.

Why is it that 1.5% of people making over a million dollars a year pay no taxes?
edit on 20-9-2012 by JBA2848 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 12:49 AM
link   
reply to post by JBA2848

Can you tell us what data is left off?

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 01:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by JBA2848
reply to post by sonnny1

Here is the source for your picture.

The miss leading portion is they leave off most of the data.

Why is it that 1.5% of people making over a million dollars a year pay no taxes?
edit on 20-9-2012 by JBA2848 because: (no reason given)

I thought this was telling from that link.

During the 2008 election campaign, President Obama proposed to create or expand a variety of refundable tax credits, most notably his Making Work Pay credit. Refundability was key for Obama — that’s the only way to make credits available to people who pay little or no tax. Critics decried the proposals, asking how you can cut taxes for people who pay no tax. The Tax Policy Center (TPC) estimated that, under then current law, 38 percent of all nondependent tax units would pay no income tax in 2009. Earlier this year, Obama signed into law the American Recovery and Reinvestment Tax Act of 2009 (P.L. 111-5), which, among other things, temporarily put into place some of the refundable credits proposed during the campaign. TPC estimates that under the new law, 47 percent of tax units will owe no income tax in 2009 (see table).

A final note: One Obama campaign proposal that hasn’t reappeared would have zeroed out income taxes for elderly households with income under $50,000. Perhaps the proposal’s disappearance simply reflects the fact that nearly 80 percent of those units already pay no tax.

I dont think it was misleading at all.
edit on 20-9-2012 by sonnny1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 01:38 AM
link   
Who Paid Neither Income Nor Payroll Taxes?

Same people who did the first report on who pays no income taxes.

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 03:07 AM
link   
reply to post by JBA2848

So almost 20% of the country pay no income or payroll taxes. Half of those are elderly, which leaves 10% of the country paying no Payroll or Income tax. That's a lot.

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 07:39 AM
link   
reply to post by OccamsRazor04

ow the ignorance is crazy. Romney paid $3.1 million in federal income tax last year. Just wow .....

I wished I had to pay that kind of tax bill.

Last year I made $37,820 and had a tax liability of $4,633.

I know that's only about 12.25 % but atleast I do pay taxes. Not as much as Romney's 13%.

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 10:50 AM
link   

The big thing is the head of household tax credit. And that tax credit ends up going directly to the state in property tax. And it has been there since 1951. Also the other is the dependant tax credit. These two tax credits are what create the high numbers. So is Mitt Romney going to do away with the head of household and dependant tax credits? It would not matter to much to him with his wealth. But his Mormon followers would get hit with it hard. And if that is not what he wants to go after than it must be the elderly.

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Now That My Campaign Is Over, I'd Like To Talk To You All About The Church Of Latter-Day Saints By Mitt Romney Republican Nominee For President Of The United States September 19, 2012 | ISSUE 48•38

My fellow Americans, can I have a moment of your time? It would appear that, following yesterday’s leaking of a video that shows me effectively writing off half the nation’s voters, we can pretty safely say my presidential campaign has come to an end. Oh, technically it may still exist, sure, but let’s be honest with each other: It’s all over. And I have fully accepted that reality. So, with that in mind, I would like to use my few remaining weeks in the public spotlight to tell the nation all about a truly great religious organization called the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

Oh,Dear!

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
reply to post by D1Useek

Originally posted by D1Useek
If you’re thinking of the tax at MacDonald’s or Burger King or the liquor store, we’re not counting that.

Well, isn't it convenient that you're "not counting" the tax that the 47% DO pay...

So... 47% of the country don't pay taxes, (not counting the taxes they DO pay).
Is that what you're selling? Seriously?

What are you selling??? Oh wow so someone pays taxes whiel on food stamps and section 8? Well bless thier harts.

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by hdutton

ow the ignorance is crazy. Romney paid $3.1 million in federal income tax last year. Just wow .....

I wished I had to pay that kind of tax bill.

Last year I made $37,820 and had a tax liability of $4,633.

I know that's only about 12.25 % but atleast I do pay taxes. Not as much as Romney's 13%.

See, nobody wants to hear that. Mitt still pays more in than several hundred making under 60,000.

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 11:21 PM
link   
Let's not forget:

When Romney finally released his tax papers to the public back in January,
he contributed about $3 million to charity, reducing his effective tax rate to less than 14%.
This tax rate was lower than Reagan's tax rate, along with everyone else who paid income taxes last year.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by EyesWithoutAFace
Let's not forget:

he contributed about $3 million to charity, reducing his effective tax rate to less than 14%.
This tax rate was lower than Reagan's tax rate, along with everyone else who paid income taxes last year.

Yes, you can give away millions and lower your tax rate too. I do not know exactly how he donated, but I do know the biggest benfactor of most charities are the poor or needy. His tax + donation percentage is much much higher than almost all Americans.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by JBA2848

The big thing is the head of household tax credit. And that tax credit ends up going directly to the state in property tax. And it has been there since 1951. Also the other is the dependant tax credit. These two tax credits are what create the high numbers. So is Mitt Romney going to do away with the head of household and dependant tax credits? It would not matter to much to him with his wealth. But his Mormon followers would get hit with it hard. And if that is not what he wants to go after than it must be the elderly.

I don't get the point of your thread. Romney should not have quoted the 47%, it takes away from his message. His message is that there are those will never vote for him because they want to pay no taxes whether it is fair or not. Those people are not a target audience for him, he is not going to spend precious time trying to get their votes. It doesn't matter if Romney would keep some of them paying no taxes, there is a perception which can't be overcome.

I will demonstrate the point Romney is making. I was watching this TV show called Repo Games. They ask them trivia questions and if they get the answers right the show pays off their car note. The question was "Who lived in Sherwood forrest stealing from the rich and giving to the poor?" The man answered Obama. The host was taken aback a bit and said are you sure that's what you want to answer? The man said yes that's Obama.

See, that man has a perception which can not be changed in the short time Romney has to sway voters. That is not his target audience. The point is further illustrated with the fact that you can NOT get back more taxes than what you pay in. There are exceptions. Obama has at length tried to institute these exceptions so that people get back money even if they pay NOTHING in. I can pay NO money and Uncle Sam will send me a refund. That's the mentality Romney says he can not overcome.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Let's not forget:

WOW! Had Obama had a comparable tax paper he would be seen as hero of the masses for giving to charity.....but Mitt now hes just a scum bag trying to get out of taxes.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Logarock

Let's not forget:

WOW! Had Obama had a comparable tax paper he would be seen as hero of the masses for giving to charity.....but Mitt now hes just a scum bag trying to get out of taxes.

Yep, this whole post has illustrated Romney was 100% right with his quote. For some people it does not matter what you do, you can NOT change their mind with all the facts and data in the world. Trying to is wasted resources.

Romney +1

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join