It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

10 Disturbing SHTF Threats that most Preppers Haven’t Prepared For

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Those are some interesting things to think about- however it is not possible to be prepared for everything that can go wrong. For some, I imagine the circumstances of their fate will be 'ironic' - prepared for a hundred different scenarios and yet that 101st scenario is the one that gets them. One thing I have to keep in mind is that no matter how many veggies I grow in my yard, and no matter how many fruit trees I plant, I can't stop someone from raiding my garden because at some point I have to sleep. And if I leave my home to try to forage- well that leaves my home vulnerable and unless I am foraging with a large group, leaves me vulnerable also. I read a novel (fiction, but the author did extensive research) about how the people on the Channel Islands survived under German occupation during WWII- when they ran out of soap the consequences were rather dire. I think it is not only a good idea to keep a lot of soap on hand, but to also know how to make lye and to make soap with it. As for water, I think it would be a good idea to install a hand pump in your yard (if you have a yard). Where I live in the summer we can go as long as a couple of months without rain and the temps are daily in the mid-90s. Of course there is always the possibility that someone can steal your water pump! I recently got a rain barrel, but I would definitely need another source of water to survive in my climate.
Sal

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by SallieSunshine

Great points and very valid ones too Sallie. It's always the way that no matter how much we prepare for something it's always the things we never thought of that bring us down.

Unless we have an incredibly well stocked bunker (3 months+ of supplies inc. water) that's perfectly situated to allow considerations of all of the possible SHTF scenarios such as flooding, earthquake or ever asteroid impact the best we can hope for is that we have done all we can, or at least we are able to quickly and effectively adapt to all we can. After everything I have been reading both on here and other places I visit online I have concluded that a bunker is not such as good idea, even to point of actually considering a boat of some sort. Crazy things to think about but I truly belief we need to think about them none the less.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by seeker1963
reply to post by StarTraveller

One big one I hardly ever see anyone mention........If we lose our power grids, how long before all of the nuclear sites in the US goes BOOM?? Who can survive that?

yes..

multiple military backup systems for fail-safes are installed .. it's ok .. they won't go boom boom unless told to ..

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 08:09 PM
link   
No one could be prepared for what ever they`re planning , it`s been in motion for nearly 100 years.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by JeZeus

I so hope we are all wrong friend, just seems so hard to think we are with all that's going on around our world right now. So much distrust in our governments, people laugh at us because we discuss conspiracies and the like but if we had reason to trust those that govern our world we would have no reason to theorize conspiracies of our leaders. Something is afoot, just not sure what

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by JeZeus
No one could be prepared for what ever they`re planning , it`s been in motion for nearly 100 years.

100 years,.
I dont believe "they" have been "planning" this or whatever we are in for,.. for that long

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 04:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lil Drummerboy

Originally posted by JeZeus

100 years,.
I dont believe "they" have been "planning" this or whatever we are in for,.. for that long

WW I , WW II.

Look how much the world has changed in the past 100 years , how fast the change has come. They are forming "one world" carefully , both world wars were part of the plan , and the third world war will be the game changer.

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 10:14 PM
link   
I rode my bicycle from florida to wisconsin in the summer of 2011,used a cycletote trailer to haul my dog and gear.

I actually thought about those 10 possibilities while I was pedaling along thinking,and realized that the best thing to do is find a place with water and fish,and hide till things calm down.

The only thing I had trouble with was spare parts,so I won't be taking the bike if I have to bug out.

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Here is one people need to be the most concerned about "all of nation" approach meaning preppers will be targeted first because you have supplies that will be passed out to the "more needy".

Be warned Opsec tell no one what your doing and hide what you have.

www.dhs.gov...

Nuclear reactor sites are heavily automated I believe in a national emergency they would be Femas,DHS top priority in securing.

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 02:35 PM
link   

1. No law enforcement
2. Fake law enforcement

One of our survival team is a current law enforcement officer, so he should suffice.
He can help us know the real deal from a fake. Also, our law enforcement methods will be at the end of a barrel in a SHTF scenario. Even real law enforcement agents would simply be other survivors.

3. Taking your guns

Can only take it if they know you have it, and where...

4. Gangs

Fences, guns, and my group and neighbors are all I can do here.

5. Able to defend yourself

One of our group is a former MMA fighter, so he's been teaching us some things.
A few are ex military, so that helps also.

6. Garbage

A challenge you never see addressed on Doomsday Preppers. I figure we'll have to use a dump site away from us, for this purpose.

7. Sanitation

We have a well and septic, so off the grid in that respect.

8. Mental health
9. Prepared for challenges

Luckily, we've already had to deal with instances of power outages, water troubles, etc., and were able to deal with those challenges. Sure, there will be many more, but I'm confident we can adapt. Our group has a good skillset mix, and we all get along well.

10. Communication

Solar charged hand radios are my current solution here. Eventually, I'll get a HAM, but that's in the 3-5 year timeline, so hopefully, the world stays together that long, at least.

The big challenge in a SHTF situation will be encountering other survivors. Are they here to harm and rob you? Are they here to join? Do you let them join? Do you trust them? Do you have the resources to add them? What do they bring to the table? etc. It's a moral and logical dilemma that will be difficult at best, impossible at worst.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join