It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Modern society and spoilt child syndrome creating sociopaths OR...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Hi there all, first thread created on ATS so not quite sure if this is the right forum if not please feel free to move it Mods, thx.

If you look at the microcosm of an individual humans life as a macrocosm of the entirety of human evolution we seem at this current stage of humanities reign on this floating rock hurtling through space, as a species to be at the spoilt child syndrome stage of our joint evolution.

Lets say early man is comparable to a new born baby, void of knowledge and understanding, going on instinct blind to the dangers and ignorant of everything.

Then as we learn and grow, see new things, have new experiences we are like the toddler striving forth taking its first steps, getting into mishaps learning the boundaries, falling and getting back up (fall and rise of civilizations, wars etc).

etc, etc,so on and so forth... til now where we seem to want it all and want it now, have no sharing and thinking of everyone else before ourselves, no compassion, things we are told we shouldn't do we do more, things we shouldn't see we make extra effort to watch, no one taking responsibility for there actions or the consequences that cause and effect sets into place.

There is a lot of overkill with things nowadays, is it being forced on us or is it our spoilt attitudes that is demanding it, are the big companies just giving into our spoilt child syndrome or are we being manipulated like a lot of people think, are we are slowly desensitizing ourselves to things by our demand of and their supply of that which is demanded?

Here's a quote see if you know who said it and what it means to you when you think about the current state of the world and society in general....

When a human being witnesses a brutal killing it changes the human mind, the brain psychically and no doubt chemically to such a degree that the human part of the mind (conscience, compassion, love, consideration) is degraded and the result is a "person" who has no feelings whatsoever, cold as a fish! However, there is a "beneficial" aspect to such mind traumas! It clears the mind of all "clutter" and the mind becomes clearer and sees the world in a new vision

Then ask yourselves is it really our demand, or are we being systematically, subliminally and subconsciously being turned into a race of uncaring unthinking sociopaths?? and why???

Thanks for reading (if anyone did lol) and if it makes sense at all to anyone or is just my stoned ramblings feel free to comment lol
edit on 18-9-2012 by WhoWhatWhy because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 02:34 PM
link   
I'm going to go easy on you since it's your first thread, but the black and white absolutes won't be taken well by many people here. I'm able to look past it and get your point, so here goes...

It's many things. There's no one reason. Not every child is spoiled in any society, and not every society has the majority as a spoiled child. Besides that, there are many more reasons "sociopaths" are being created than merely being spoiled.

I've long said that the monies didn't trickle down...it was their false values, instead

Basically, the social structure is set up so that there are winners and losers. There is no win-win situation to be attained in a system which pinnacles from a fundamentally unsustainable monetary system. Eventually, the parasites will call in their debts owed, fully knowing it's impossible for everyone to pay back (as more monies is loaned than exists on the books) . This system creates micro and macro shocks to families and societies as a whole. Government grows, more people within the family are recruited to make ends meat, and more jobs/hours are taken within these individuals. The children are often left to fend for their selves. They teach each other, as society has taught their often times corporate-influenced parents...false values...and each generation...each freaking week it gets worse.

Then you have various environmental pollutants, interacting with what appears to be a weakened genome of our species, and you have all sorts of instabilities. Just look to Maslow's heirarchy of needs...many are now at the bottom rung...which is essentially where the sociopath is...in survival...fight or flight or freeze mode...

So no, I don't think it's spoiled children, I think it's society trying to cope with a set of conditions that are not conducive to community/family/moral values.

Everyone is taking the hit, except a select few...

Tragic, yet apparently it's been at least a full chapter in our history by now...perhaps it's time to turn the page and envision a new section altogether....

oh also! another thing I was talking with some drunk at the local pub the other day about was the fact that we are seen other possibilities which causes us to be filled with drive/anger/resentment towards the "haves". We have MTV cribs, and celebrity shows, and then onto politicians, etc, etc...everyone wants to be a winner, when it's not even possible! You look out to some third world countries and see pictures of a whole village having oh so little yet smiles abound! They are unaware of what could be...everyone is pretty much in the same class, save a dictator....

edit on 18-9-2012 by moniesisfun because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by moniesisfun

I'm going to go easy on you since it's your first thread

thx appreciate that lol

but the black and white absolutes won't be taken well by many people here. I'm able to look past it and get your point, so here goes... It's many things. There's no one reason. Not every child is spoiled in any society, and not every society has the majority as a spoiled child. Besides that, there are many more reasons "sociopaths" are being created than merely being spoiled.

I get what you mean and understand the concept of the individual, wasn't referring to actual spoilt children, I know you get that but as you said others might not, it was more metaphorical and a generalization when saying that modern societies are on the level of mental maturity, in a humans life span roughly equivalent to where the spoilt child would be. Desensitization is still a huge part of what creates a sociopathic mind.

Basically, the social structure is set up so that there are winners and losers. There is no win-win situation to be attained in a system which pinnacles from a fundamentally unsustainable monetary system. Eventually, the parasites will call in their debts owed, fully knowing it's impossible for everyone to pay back (as more monies is loaned than exists on the books) . This system creates micro and macro shocks to families and societies as a whole. Government grows, more people within the family are recruited to make ends meat, and more jobs/hours are taken within these individuals. The children are often left to fend for their selves. They teach each other, as society has taught their often times corporate-influenced parents...false values...and each generation...each freaking week it gets worse.

In a society of people who are wise enough, mature enough and responsible enough to make their own choices and decisions we could have freedom to do what ever we wanted as long as it didn't affect someone else's ability and freedom to do what ever they wanted if you get my meaning, until we all show that we can handle that responsibility properly there will always be boundaries and constraints upon us and we will always push those boundaries, that's how we learn and grow to get to that maturity. Its all growing up..

you have various environmental pollutants, interacting with what appears to be a weakened genome of our species, and you have all sorts of instabilities. Just look to Maslow's heirarchy of needs...many are now at the bottom rung...which is essentially where the sociopath is...in survival...fight or flight or freeze mode...

I know environmental variables and genetic mutations etc play their part but a lot of desensitization goes on through the media nowadays to the extent that if you'd shown a modern slasher movie to say someone from 1900 then they would react as any sane human should, by getting post traumartic stress or something yet, we see and experience things like that in fiction and reality on differing levels, obviously, on a daily basis and have been desensitized to a massive extent, is it our demand for this and our own need to push the constraints around us to further ourselves or is it pushed onto us.

Which to be honest i'm not sure either way on that, which is why i put the quote, could you guess or do you know who said it?

So no, I don't think it's spoiled children

see above

I think it's society trying to cope with a set of conditions that are not conducive to community/family/moral values.

I agree but is it our own desires and spoilt attitude and nature or is there more to it, i'm not sure.

Everyone is taking the hit, except a select few... Tragic, yet apparently it's been at least a full chapter in our history by now...perhaps it's time to turn the page and envision a new section altogether....

I agree and is sort of my point

oh also! another thing I was talking with some drunk at the local pub the other day about was the fact that we are seen other possibilities which causes us to be filled with drive/anger/resentment towards the "haves". We have MTV cribs, and celebrity shows, and then onto politicians, etc, etc...everyone wants to be a winner, when it's not even possible! You look out to some third world countries and see pictures of a whole village having oh so little yet smiles abound! They are unaware of what could be...everyone is pretty much in the same class, save a dictator...

which brings back to the whole spoilt child thing again lol. thx for the reply.
edit on 18-9-2012 by WhoWhatWhy because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Some, or I should say a lot of us toil and bust our butts and barely make ends meet, while there are those that do what they enjoy (sports, acting, music) or work very little (rich parents) or are corrupt (politicians), or work for a short time and can retire, and have more money and admiration than they know what to do with.

Us, the toilers with busted butts and aching backs look at those who are not us and wish we were them.
Some resort to crime for easy money, while others don't want to toil (me) for very little rewards.

So we have a society that wants it all with little effort and we don't want to have to work for it.

We see those who do very little and get all the rewards, it's no wonder society is screwed up, morals go down the toilet, people want to drink and use drugs (me) to achieve happiness somehow.

(Most) All the problems we have in our society can be attributed to inequality, if we had equality and pulled our weight equally, the majority of us would be a lot happier and productive and law abiding.

And less spoilt.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Toadmund

There will always be inequality, some are stronger, some smarter, some better athletes or musicians, i'm comfortable with that and even to some extent think they should get recognition for those abilities, its the idolatry i can't stomach especially of the mediocrity that we have and the overkill of it, but is that a good thing too?

We get desensitized to violence and even sex through overexposure through mental stimulation with no physical action to support it, so maybe the same will apply to the crap and mediocrity that we are constantly bombarded with, we'll move on as we always do and find new either better or worse trends and ideas, but if we allow the spoilt child in all of us to lead the way it will most likely be getting worse.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   

When a human being witnesses a brutal killing it changes the human mind, the brain psychically and no doubt chemically to such a degree that the human part of the mind (conscience, compassion, love, consideration) is degraded and the result is a "person" who has no feelings whatsoever, cold as a fish! However, there is a "beneficial" aspect to such mind traumas! It clears the mind of all "clutter" and the mind becomes clearer and sees the world in a new vision

The Quote was Aleister Crowley in his Book of the Law by the way.

Which is where the OR bit comes into it, maybe there is more to it ,maybe the level of over exposure of and to violence and sex is a concerted and purposeful attempt at whittling away good conscience, empathy and morality of the common man/woman.

I've always been in 2 minds about certain aspects of the Satanic side of conspiracies and secret societies as i'm an atheist (or occasional agnostic) and have always viewed God/Allah/Buddha/Zeus, the Devil/Lucifer/Satan etc as allegorical so have looked beyond it being deities or fallen angels and tried to humanize the "characters", as essentially they either were men and the word "God" was just another word for King/Emperor/Shaman/Tsar etc (a rose by any other name and all that lol) or they were "just" allegories used for philosophical learning and thought, just as the way Platos meaning of Atlantis is theorized to be an allegory.

Plus the fact anything the church viewed as unchristian was labeled satanic or seen as blasphemous so invariably things became hidden or occult etc so i understand that side of it but...

Power comes from knowledge, strength or size.

In a primitive society, early man (the baby stage of our joint evolution) would have some that "mature" faster than others, grow physically stronger or bigger for instance, so would naturally exert a dominance over their lessers and would have become the early leaders, just as the more knowledgeable and smarter of our early ancestors would too.

As the hunter gatherers etc strove forth and out into the world the smarter, more knowledgeable 1s would have been the 1s who would learn faster keeping the "secrets" of building, farming, medicine, philosophy or the "magic" plants and potions, chemistry, physics, psychology etc for their own personal gain, as "they" would have been the 1s to realize that plants were poisonous, or mushrooms made them see things and have visions beyond the realm of their early conceivable realities etc etc therefore having power through secrets and hidden knowledge to lead and rule, the witch doctors/shamans/priests/healers/prophesiers for example.

There are social engineering programs all over the place, possible MK Ultra initiatives (depending on the validity of reports), Psychological operations abound etc etc

There will always be an establishment trying to keep its power but to what extent are they willing to actually go

Is it our own greed and spoiled attitude or something more? like i said i'm in 2 minds, thx for reading

edit on 21-9-2012 by WhoWhatWhy because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join