It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Early Christian Text, Indicates Jesus May Have Been Married

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 10:49 AM
link   
If this is to be as authentic as The Shroud of Turin it won't proove much. Jesus was a very common name in that region. As much as it would be great I don't think this will amount to anything.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 11:00 AM
link   
If jesus had a wife, and lived till around 100, then is it plausible to ask, or say, that he had children? and if so, doesnt that disagree with jesus dying on the cross? to expand on my question and to add to this discussion, check out the talmud of jmannuel. a very interesting document nonetheless, but it may have some relevancy here for those so inclined to be openminded and not boxed in by a belief set on a book that we wrote.

Talmud of Jmmanuel

youtu.be...

youtu.be...

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by XLR8R

Atheists and other non-Christian professors and researchers have used the same argument to less effect. Are you telling me that now it can be used in Christianity's favor, it's become a valid argument?

Don't even. Besides, certain context clues imply that it was a Jesus speaking to disciples, or people of that sort of status. How many Jesus' do you recall that had that kind of opportunity? Take care not to shoot yourself in the foot...to assert that this might not be the same Jesus, is to assert that more than one Jesus held the role of Teacher.

And that throws an even bigger wrench into the works.

edit on 19-9-2012 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Could be very well he had a wife.
I think the catholic church, or other churches, decided not to put it in the Bible. As that would make women more important, and destroy his virgin/hermit image.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by rambo1112

It would lower him in the eyes of those who believed that to be tainted by the intimate touch of a woman would be to lose divinity. Why do you think Catholic priests are "married" to "God"? To have a mortal woman and a divine being lie together would have been blasphemous in the extreme.

It's funny, how we place so much trust in a highly superstitious, sexist, violent and dogmatic society to keep the story clean and unbiased. We would never trust our politicians/news corps with that - imagine how it must have been with the politics of THAT era.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 11:16 AM
link   
It is my understanding that when the council of nicea( i hope thats right) put together the bible, they excluded ANYTHING that would make jesus seem less divine, ie, marriage, not dying on the cross, and so on. Is it really more credible to believe that he was gods son and died for all of us, resurrected himself, or just had a horrific run in with a controlled society, or is it more credible that he actually did live a life based on personal beliefs that we should all enjoy? so much emphasis is put on him being holy and our source for redemption that i find it more plausible to think he lived a normal life, afterall, wasnt he just a carpenter?

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by XLR8R

actually, WE call him jesus. his name was jmmannuel. never was he called jesus a day in his life.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by mactheaxe

actually, WE call him jesus. his name was jmmannuel. never was he called jesus a day in his life.

And from what source have you pulled this conclusion?
edit on 19-9-2012 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 12:08 PM
link   
As a Christian Mystic, this does absolutely nothing in my stance as Jesus being my spiritual teacher, master, friend, brother, savior, and enlightened being.

He was all about enlightenment and teaching others how to reach God. Him having a wife would only piss off fundies and radicals

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by micpsi

In the New Testament, the anointing of Jesus by Mary Magdalene was indeed performed while he sat at the table, and specifically with the bridal ointment of spikenard. Afterwards, Mary wiped Jesus's feet with her hair and, on the first occasion of the two-part ceremony, she wept. All of these things signify the marital anointing of a dynastic heir. Mary's use of this very costly spice is strong evidence that she was the wife of Jesus.
edit on 18-9-2012 by micpsi because: Typo corrected

I have not read this whole thread, but you assume it was Mary Magdalene. Scripture does not back this up. The woman that did this was not named.
bible.cc...

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by sad_eyed_lady

Was she named in later scriptures referring to that incident?

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

if you scroll up, i have given the text, talmud of jmmannuel for people to read and do research on,

edit on 19-9-2012 by mactheaxe because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by dominicus

I absolutely agree. although i think he has been misrepresented and factualized in the bible, from what i see, he actually practice buddhism or some form, and that has turned to he being the way to salvation and "God". Instead, I more prefer he was trying to teach enlighenment and peace of the spirit rather than come with me so you dont burn in hell.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   

So how did the philosophy change? Who was responsible for the perversion of Jesus/Immanuel's teachings? You seem to have developed a somewhat independent education on the matter, so I'm interested to know what you have discovered on your own journey.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity
reply to post by this_is_who_we_are

Do you have proof that he was a rabbi?

You do understand how silly that question is, don't you?

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by this_is_who_we_are

You do understand how condescending you are, right?

Let's start with a list:

1) for every "fact" in the Bible regarding Jesus, there's a half dozen experts who will say it isn't absolute, but speculated.

2) I myself have not gone through the Everest-sized pile of bull crap collected specifically to hide a rather shameful lie crafted for whatever reason

3) I am not Jewish, and so therefore would not know the necessary requirements to be a rabbi

4) if Jesus was, in fact, not of the Jewish faith, that would mean he wasn't a rabbi. With everything else being questioned, why not his faith as well?

5) With all the assumptions flying around, I would rather not base my analysis on faulty opinions thrown by "experts" who sound like they know what they're talking about, but in fact just talk a good game.

6) There are no silly questions, only people who think they need not ask. More often than not, it turns out they thought wrong.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 01:41 PM
link   

I can see youre honestly interested and i just wanna say first, before i give my spiritual/religious opinion on this matter, thank you for your question posed in a non threatening, judgemental way.

I believe jesus was a guru/yogi/ or whatever it is to you.He went on a spiritual journey and being developed more spiritual than us, gained what takes a lifetime to gain, in a short amount of time. He then decided to bring this back and hopefully start something wonderful. in this process, he upset the powers that be who really want power,They then decided to pursuade the people that this guy is a bad thing(much like we see now). So in our sheepish state, we crucified him. being spiritually evolved, and knowing that gurus and medicine men nowadays can do extroardinary things both painful and unnatural, he survived the crucifixion. i believe that he lived out the rest of his life in india where he had a wife and kids and died at around 100. for me to back up my belief would require a vast amount of documents and documentaries to which i have selected many many things that add up to me. i am no scholar, but i believe that i cant be boxed in to one belief and ignorant to others. and from what ive learned, theres there is your story, my story, and the truth. you cant expect me to believe that these people who translated the bible, from ancient sumerian text, and from the egyptian texts, had a full knowledge of the writings and nuances that came with them. Even the slightest nuance or small calligraphic means the difference between the word "alien" and "cookie". so i believe that a lot of what was in the bible was actually plagiarized from other sources to create what we know now. and i wont believe in a bible that puts you in a box without first looking at how the buddhists, and all those who practice some form of such, live so peacefully while we havent gotten this right in 2000 years. i call ignorance and blind eye. basically, i dont live in a box, and give anything worth learning its due diligence. i can keep going, but thats the gist of it.

And as for the perversion of jesus/jmmannuel, The powers that be who sought not to lose it. The pharoahs, kings, queens, because if his actual teachings ever caught on, Their illusion of need, would go away. Their power stripped because we actually are all equal. You ever wonder why the vatican has so many secret texts that but a few privileged ppl can see? Maybe cuz it would mean religious upset to know that our lord and savior didnt actually die on the cross for our sins, but actually lived happy in india continuing his teachings in a place that accepted it.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Do you believe he possessed the ability to relieve his body of spirit long enough to convince people he had really and truly died, and then returned to his body during the three days and escaped?

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jansy
The simplest answer is usually the correct one. A man during the time of Christ that WASN'T married would be unusual enough to warrant a mention in the Gospels. Following both the customs of the time and the Jewish faith, a man would normally marry. It's just logical. And NORMAL. Celibacy is NOT usually normal human behavior.

It does talk about this.

Anyone read the Bible here?

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   

I believe that wasnt a trick. But i believe his spirit strong enough to endure and return yes. If you look at the anatomy of one crucified, you will find that the lung muscles are actually fully stretched out, making it both painful, and hard to breath for an extended period of time. This is why it was a popular means of torture/death. Obviously he passed out, drained, and in pain, but did take whatever they did to him. As far as the extend he went through, and the actual crucifixion, no one can be sure, but our knowledge of the bodies and its workings were primitive enough that many things we can explain now, seemed supernatural then. I believe he want through a lot to uphold his belief in spiritual health, and in doing so, pursuaded many people to the cause. im not saying christians are bad, im just saying theyre getting only a starter package spiritually if they actually believe the bible is the only way. You need more than the bible and scripture to be at peace and grow as he did. You need to have the courage to look at yourself and not be afraid of what you will find and that is why so many are spiritually stunted in this day and age, they are petrified of what they will actually find if they journey inward. So instead, lets judge others on tv, and go to church on sundays a hipocrite. He had the message but i feel that the bible does no justice to what he learned, knew, and wanted to teach. And that is why when someone sais they "know Jesus" or "what would jesus do" i have to laugh, because if you have to ask that, or keep a reminder of what he would do, you truly do not know jesus.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join