It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Professor makes class sign vote for Obama pledge

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 12:54 PM
link   
watchdogwire.com...

www.americanthinker.com...

The bookmark and pledge was handed out during a mathematics class taught by Assistant Professor Sharon Sweet. This occurred “while the student was in class at the request of his College Algebra teacher, Sharon Sweet, from Brevard Community College in [Melbourne] Florida.”

The expectation is that no employee of the College shall solicit support of any political candidate during regular work hours or on College property.

What is the professor thinking? I'm glad she's on unpaid leave because of her coercive behavior. Sounds like she needs to be fired. I thought teachers were supposed to open your mind, make you think for yourself and all that jazz. Reminds me of the mmmm mmmmmmm mmmm Barack Hussein Obama song situation those kids sang a few years ago.

edit on 18-9-2012 by Gridrebel because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 01:00 PM
link   
This is so wrong and proves the point that our teachers through their unions have an agenda.

When Obama was campaigning in 2008, my daughter's high school teacher made them write an essay on why NOT voting for Obama was racist.

I wish I kept the paper and got his ass fired. I screwed up on that one.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 01:01 PM
link   
I find it funny that this happened in a Math class.

Looks like a few of the students who protested know math.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gridrebel
watchdogwire.com...

The bookmark and pledge was handed out during a mathematics class taught by Assistant Professor Sharon Sweet. This occurred “while the student was in class at the request of his College Algebra teacher, Sharon Sweet, from Brevard Community College in [Melbourne] Florida.”

The expectation is that no employee of the College shall solicit support of any political candidate during regular work hours or on College property.

What is the professor thinking? I'm glad she's on unpaid leave because of her coercive behavior. Sounds like she needs to be fired. I thought teachers were supposed to open your mind, make you think for yourself and all that jazz. Reminds me of the mmmm mmmmmmm mmmm Barack Hussein Obama song situation those kids sang a few years ago.

It's always seemed to me, an odd thing this coersion.

It can only be effective if one lets it be. You can't coerce someone who will not "give" you power over them.

Once I go into the booth all bets are off.

Of course, I have always been the type that only got mad when threats or intimidation was a factor.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Maybe I'm off today, but...
Where does the article say that anybody had to sign anything?

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 01:05 PM
link   
She can't MAKE them sign something. I'm going to look for a less biased website... All I can find out for sure is that she passed the bookmarks out. She's on unpaid leave of absence until it gets straightened out.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by timetothink

OMG!!! Unbelievable. Talk about propaganda and brainwashing. So what did your daughter say? Please share more of this experience if you will.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by subject x
Maybe I'm off today, but...
Where does the article say that anybody had to sign anything?

Early last week Professor Sharon Sweet at Brevard Community College (BCC) allegedly told students to sign a pledge that reads: "I pledge to vote for President Obama and Democrats up and down the ticket."
www.americanthinker.com...

I just copied the title but I could add "allegedly"..... but I'm thinking pure peer pressure and teacher instruction. I am trying to find out if there were any non-compliers.

ETA: Since a concerned parent phoned in their concerns to the school administration, I am concerned these students thought this was somehow okay? ! It's completely against school policy. Boy, that's a lot of concern!

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by timetothink
This is so wrong and proves the point that our teachers through their unions have an agenda.

When Obama was campaigning in 2008, my daughter's high school teacher made them write an essay on why NOT voting for Obama was racist.

I wish I kept the paper and got his ass fired. I screwed up on that one.

Wow. I belong to a teacher's union and I'm not voting for Obama.

Its okay to discuss politics with your students (age appropriate of course), but for the teacher to assign a paper like that is just wrong on multiple levels. Position papers are wonderful for encouraging critical thinking and making the student defend that thinking.

Personally, I think a better topic might have simply been "Who would you vote for and why?"

Next time that happens, raise a fuss. I would.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Gridrebel

No wonder I didn't see it. It was a different article.

Thanks for the link. Perhaps you should add it to the OP.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by subject x

No wonder I didn't see it. It was a different article.

Thanks for the link. Perhaps you should add it to the OP.

Thanks, I did. I am not blaming Obama for this and would post the article whoever was doing this, regardless of party. I think we need to teach our children freedom of choice. It's just scoundrel that anyone would do this.....especially so for a teacher who advocates enriching the mind.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 01:38 PM
link   

The sad part is it was only 9th grade and it wasn't a history class it was English....so I had to help her, explain to her it was about what he stands for. She basically wrote that not voting for him was NOT racist!

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

Thank you , she is in college now and comes to me when something seems a little off, I am watching, always watching!!

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
She can't MAKE them sign something. I'm going to look for a less biased website... All I can find out for sure is that she passed the bookmarks out. She's on unpaid leave of absence until it gets straightened out.

Here are a couple of local (FL) stations take on it.

Associate Professor Sharon Sweet allegedly urged her students to vote for Obama

BCC professor accused of endorsing Obama in class on leave

But - other than she is on leave and they are investigating it doesn't give much more info.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Here's a little more:

government.brevardtimes.com...

As early as September 14, one resident wrote "I hear that one of your Algebra Professors made all the students in her class sign this oath that they would vote for Obama. I think you need to investigate this allegation and stop this coercion immediately!!! If you remove this comment without taking action you will have additional people with authority contacting the BCC Administration. No teacher, no person has the right to force or coerce or threaten their students to sign an OATH to VOTE for ANYONE!!!!"

This was followed by several more posts to the BCC Facebook page demanding an investigation.

BCC replied to the comments yesterday with the following status update:

"Brevard Community College has received complaints alleging politically-based inappropriate behavior on the part of Associate Professor Sharon Sweet, an instructor of mathematics. The allegations center on her soliciting support in her classes for President Obama in the upcoming election.

As stated in an earlier comment posted here on Friday, College officials learned of the allegations Thursday afternoon, Sept. 13, following a call from a concerned parent and immediately began an investigation.

The College has specific policies that address the political activities of faculty and staff, which state that no College employee shall solicit support for a political candidate during regular College work hours or on College property.

Based on the allegations, Associate Professor Sweet has requested, and been granted, a leave of absence without pay effective immediately.

The College will continue its investigation into the matter, which will include interviews with students in her classes. Additionally, the College is taking steps to reiterate its policy on political activity to all faculty and staff."

Records show that Sharon Sweet is a senator for the Brevard County Chapter of the United Faculty of Florida, a collective bargaining organization that overwhelmingly endorses Democratic candidates.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by timetothink

Good for you and her! If the teacher is still there, you can still expose his/her harrassment. Because, that's what it is. I would give the administration a heads up if you can. This IS SO WRONG. I'd sure like to know what the rest of the class wrote.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Ridiculous. I've heard that it doesn't matter, Obama's getting voted again because it switches between Republican and Democrat every 8 years.
edit on 18-9-2012 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity
Ridiculous. I've heard that it doesn't matter, Obama's getting voted again because it switches between Republican and Democrat every 8 years.
edit on 18-9-2012 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

What matters is that our children were brainwashed/harrassed....... or don't you care about that? It's not about the party. it's about the freedom of choice.......guess you don't get that!

new topics

top topics

join