It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rat for dinner !! what's in your mince? and mind the teeth..

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Oh boy..

Don't you just have so much fun in trying to place a topic into the right forum..

Since the days of Sweeney Todd, our butchers have been real careful. Health and safety has also played a big part in the way our meat is presented to us. Mad cow disease did nothing to help beef sales.. and with the badger cull about to go ahead we hope to see more of our cattle feeling a lot better..

That'll be nice, wont it?

With dead badgers lying all over the place I'm sure the rats will have a field day.. never mind, i think someone will make a profit out it along the line.. perhaps as "meat" from the butchers shops..

Just like this one in London..

Cane rats and "shocking" quantities of illegal and "potentially unsafe" meat have been sold to the public in east London, BBC London has found.

Secret filming showed meat that broke food safety laws being prepared.

www.bbc.co.uk...

And I bet you thought I was joking when you saw the thread title.. !!!
Watch the video in that link.. there really is someone selling a rat.. rat as in what we see here in the UK and US. none of this majorly big, overgrown bush type rat.. We're talking street rat..

Demolition man anyone?

This seems to be a growing problem. What's worse is that the vast majority of it is coming through our borders in the postal system or in lugage through the airports.
we know the smuggling of certain types of things is highly illegal and you can serve a long sentence for doing so, but is this new form of smuggling going to carry a similar sentence.. especially if someone eats some rancid, infested meat and dies..!!!

Mince meat is one of the best ways to hide a mixture of meats.. I worked in a butchers shop when I was in my teens and my boss would often show me the best ways to mix old meat with the new beef.. by old meat i'm talking pork and lamb.. not just old beef..

wouldn't happen in a supermarket I hear you say..
Are you sure?
We know these big chains are guilty of lots of things in relation to the food we buy.. like artificial flavourings and aspartame and how the price fixing goes on etc etc..

so what's in your meat.. what you cooking tonight?

bon apetit

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 11:15 AM
link   
I'm trying to make the push to total vegetarianism. I really am! But I grew up in the wrong culture and household for too long to make it an easy transition.

Honestly, I don't think so many people care what's in their meats. We are too set in our ways to really give a hoot one way or the other, it seems. The thought of eating mystery meat is repulsive, but the taste buds usually win that battle.

I'm very surprised you have no replies. This is important stuff!

And like Demolition Man--when it comes down to it--I don't think some of us are too proud to have a rat burger every once and a while

edit on 18-9-2012 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Soon it may be all we have to eat, as food prices rise and more people lose jobs.
McDonalds finest rat burgers.That should control the rat population.
The badgers are just for flavor.
edit on 9/18/2012 by lonegurkha because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   
So use your local farm, pref an organic one... skip the middleman and get it fresh as well

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 11:36 AM
link   
When I was a kid, we'd have a sunday roast.. the roasted meat would usually contain a bone..

yummy...

I loved digging that marrow out and cleaning the bone..

These days, it's rare to find any meat on the bone. Too many "consumers" requested to buy just the meat.
You've got to ask the butcher for it these days.

Most supermarkets will look at you as though you're mad when you ask for it..

A bit like asking for pints of milk instead of litres
And ounces instead grammes..

Does raise some interesting questions.. Would we really notice the difference if we did eat rat meat?
what does it taste liike?
Could any distinct flavour be hidden with added flavours?

Rabbit is still on the menu in some local butchers, that's a rodent.. so would rat be any different?
It's probalby our fear of them carrying disease and the black death that makes us so repulsed by them..

guess I'll try some spider later then...

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Extralien

I've eatin squirrel stew for years growing up. What is a squirrel? A tree rat.

Prepared correctly, they can be quite tasty. Prepared incorrectly...they are greasy as hell.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

We may laugh and joke about all this, but i'm sure many people used to eat this sort of stuff to survive in the middle ages and before that..

and if the world goes any further down the drain, we may all find that we'll be out trying to find other sources of food..

I've had plenty of pigeon and rabbit.. and pheasant is so yummy..

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Who's joking?

I can't wait to move back closer to family. At which point hunting and fishing will take up a major portion of my day.

I can't think of a better retirement.

As for spiders...think of them as little crab legs.

Though I would think that the preparation is time consuming.
edit on 18-9-2012 by TDawgRex because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Meat.

So what man. Meat. Is a large stinking burping mass of meat that farts toxins a better choice? Or just what you already accept.

Meat.

Who cares. It's not as if we eat to survive any more. We eat for taste. Who cares if the meat grazed on lawn, or scurried down tunnels. If it's yummy, oh boy.. Yay!

Meat.

Humans are meat too. huh.

HomelessKebabs.. with some chilli sauce. bit of mayo on the lettuce.

who cares? We are seriously heading in that direction, aye..

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by TDawgRex

As for spiders...think of them as little crab legs.

Though I would think that the preparation is time consuming

I guess the hardest part is finding tweasers small enough to crack the shell

But, yes..meat is meat..
if you're hungry ..
if you live away from it all..
if it's your way of life...

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by winofiend

HomelessKebabs.. with some chilli sauce. bit of mayo on the lettuce.

Eating to survive is what we do. As is making the experiance enjoyable as well.

Mayo...heathen! I bet you put ketchup on steak as well.

Me? I prefer some home grown Horseradish!

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Does anyone watch Bizarre Foods on travel channel?

He goes all over the world and eats things most Americans think are gross, but locals wherever he is, its a way of life to eat. Especially Well, some of the places he goes they HAVE to eat things like bugs, and when they kill animals they eat every part of it. Otherwise, they wouldn't get proteins and things

Anyway, he always says animals taste a lot like the food they ate.. so if we eat rats, as long as they eat decent food I bet they would taste good.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by ReadyPower

I have seen that show, he has eaten some really out there things...well out there to me since they are not regular items one eats where I live. He does try everything but i do remember one time where he refused to try one item. It literally looked like bird road kill. I don't blame him!

OP When I was in the Dominican Republic I had various foods I would never even think of trying. The thing was we didn't know what we were eating. Our meals were pre ordered and there was no lack of food choices either but the host of our trip wanted us to try real Dominican food. We had to try everything served and at the end of the meal we were told what it was. Every thing I tried was good. I had things I never thought I would eat but they were damn good! The one thing I didn't like was ox tail. I didn't like the texture or taste.

I think a lot of the whole "eww that's gross" is because we aren't accustomed to eating certain things. If we lived in another part of the world we would be accustom to eating different foods like dog and cat for instance. We all know that in some parts of the world it's just like eating chicken.

Now on that note I'm gonna go finish my noodles. I'm in the middle of making homemade lasagna. I have a red sauce with sausage in the crock pot and it's been cooking since yesterday. I have two loaves of homemade Italian Parmesan/Herb bread ready and now it's time to pre cook the noodles.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 12:59 AM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

I saw that you had replied to this thread and was hoping that you had another great recipe for me to try...A Italian squirrel delite.

Oh well, ya win some, ya lose some.

new topics

top topics

join