It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Two unarmed female police officers shot dead in gun and grenade attack (UK)

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Seems it was him who made the call and since it was a burgulary and there was nothing suspicious about the address a couple of unarmed officers were dispatched and as soon as they started to walk to the property he came out and shot them in cold blood and then handed himself in, pity he'll be seen as a hero for killing two wpc's while inside

but even being armed i doubt the ladies would of had much chance as unfortunately they were being lured into a trap

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Makes a change from them shooting people.karma is a bitch.
edit on 18/9/2012 by glen200376 because: typo

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by glen200376
Makes a change from them shooting people.karma is a bitch.
edit on 18/9/2012 by glen200376 because: typo

What a wonderfully ignorant comment.

Congratulations.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by glen200376

They now routinely carry CS or pepper spray, and Tasers are also widely available. However, it seems there's little appetite for routinely arming the police.

A Police Federation survey, conducted in 2006, of 47,000 officers found that 82% were opposed to the idea.

The majority of police are opposed to having guns.

The only incident I can think of where armed officers have made a mistake was that fellow who jumped the barrier in the underground, I'm sure there is more, but not many.

This is the UK, not the USA, our officers seem to prefer not to use lethal force.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by woogleuk

If you're referring to the Jean Charles de Menezes shooting, I don't think that was entirely accidental.
I do agree with most of what you said. The British police are against fully arming themselves but are extremely protective of their own people, there's no way these women were set up by their collagues.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Firstly, condolences to the family of the two officers. They are just human after all!

Secondly, this guy is an animal. There is some serious underground gang related stuff going on with him and he has already shot and killed two others and used grenades. It sounds to me as though these two police officers got caught unexpectedly in this situation. There is no way our police force would have sent two unarmed female officers if they knew he was there. They would have had ARVs, snipers and had the whole street cordoned of as well as the chopper overhead before he even suspected anyone was onto him. Let's wait for the official line before we jump to conclusions.

EDIT: only just read about the reported burglary. Hence the reason unarmed officers were sent. I think all burglaries should be treated as potentially armed anyway. Why chance it?
edit on 18-9-2012 by fiftyfifty because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 11:01 AM
link   
good thing that this rat is off the streets. shame for the 2 policewomen.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 11:05 AM
link   
As an American I'm totally destroyed we can't even get hand grenades Can someone ship me a case or do they sell them on EBay over there

CX

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by mikellmikell
As an American I'm totally destroyed we can't even get hand grenades Can someone ship me a case or do they sell them on EBay over there

I wish i thought you were joking, maybe you are but it's comments like that that are a) hardly appropriate seeing as two young police officers just died, and b) it's comments like that that give the responsible gun owners a bad name.

Not even going to ask why you'd want a grenade, but hey, if you're ok announcing that on a public forum then all the best to you.

If you are joking though....i refer you to section "a" of my above comment.

CX.

CX

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 01:53 PM
link   
An after thought.....i'd love to know why he handed himself in straight after?

This is a guy who was already on the run for two murders, then he kills two more, hardly the type to hand himself over.

Or judging by the way he gunned down two unarmed women in cold blood, maybe he was to cowardly too go on the run Raoul Moat style......he'd have surely been shot given half the chance.

CX.
edit on 18/9/12 by CX because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Unfortunately I have no sympathy for any police anymore. I lost all respect when they let the murder of ian tomlison slide among the other hundreds probably thousands of examples of corruption and illegality.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by CX

cx, I would like to know more myself, some news sites are saying he handed himself in, others are saying he took chase, lobbed a grenade, got caught, got the truncheon and then his rights read to him (arrested) AFTER they walked into the police station.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by stirling
Not a chance they deliberately sent two women to their deaths for a bit of social programming..........The goverment loves its slaves

I hope not, and pray that their souls rest as the LIGHT* from the other side guides them on their journeys.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by mr-lizard
Secondly, can anyone else see this leading to a call for armed police 24/7?

There may the usual call for the arming of the police by the usual suspects, as happens every time the very rare shooting of a police officer occurs.

However, the police don't want to be armed and there is no public appetite for them to be so.

Let's wait for the proper report on what happened, but the news in the UK is reporting the two WPCs were called to a burglary and not sdent to confont a murderer.

Regards

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by mr-lizard
www.bbc.co.uk...

Two female police officers have died during an operation which led to the arrest of a man wanted by Greater Manchester Police.

Police said both unarmed officers suffered fatal injuries during a "routine operation" in Hattersley, Tameside.

"Whilst they were inside around a dozen shots were fired and there was an explosion."

--

Firstly, why send two unarmed coppers to the location of a suspect wanted for two other violent murders?

Secondly, can anyone else see this leading to a call for armed police 24/7?

--

The last thing we need is the police to have more guns, they should be limited to certain departments/unit and that department/unit should have been the one sent inside the building.

(Oh and let's NOT have this thread turn into an American vs British gun debate).

Please read the story before posting comments. There was a "normal" call to a house where a suspected burglary was taking place. The police had NO IDEA that a wanted criminal was in there. Now this will lead to a call to arm police but there was no way in hell being armed would have saved them. The maniac lured them there with a false call with every intention of killing them. So unless firearms have little LED warning lights with some magic criminal sensor attached they would have ineffective.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Predictably we get the pro-gun brigade using this tragedy as an opportunity to voice their support of arming our police full time or relaxing our gun laws etc.

Yet they choose to ignore the literally thousands of similar calls that the police answer unarmed and which don't result in shootings.

The police don't want to be armed at all times and the British public agree with them and the majority do not wish any relaxation of our gun laws.

I am disgusted that some people have actually expressed what seems like delight at the deaths of these two WPC's.
I've had more than my fair share of dealings with the police and firmly believe there are many amoral and corrupt officers within their ranks and have reservations about the incestuous relationship between senior officers and other sections of 'the establishment' etc but most coppers are just ordinary, hard working people who just want to do their job.
Any attempt to defend or justify these murders is to my mind pretty low, cheap and just downright lousy.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Freeborn
Predictably we get the pro-gun brigade using this tragedy as an opportunity to voice their support of arming our police full time or relaxing our gun laws etc.

Yet they choose to ignore the literally thousands of similar calls that the police answer unarmed and which don't result in shootings.

The police don't want to be armed at all times and the British public agree with them and the majority do not wish any relaxation of our gun laws.

I am disgusted that some people have actually expressed what seems like delight at the deaths of these two WPC's.
I've had more than my fair share of dealings with the police and firmly believe there are many amoral and corrupt officers within their ranks and have reservations about the incestuous relationship between senior officers and other sections of 'the establishment' etc but most coppers are just ordinary, hard working people who just want to do their job.
Any attempt to defend or justify these murders is to my mind pretty low, cheap and just downright lousy.

I respect the Bobbies' choice of staying un-armed, however don't they wear vests? Maybe one or both could have survived the attack, IDK.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by NightFlight

Alot of the vest are more stab proof than bullet proof and when i asked my uncle who was a high ranking copper years ago about guns he said that the police don't want them as it'll start the arms race as to escape from the law they'll start to use guns since the police have them and it would cause alot more problems due to bystanders getting caught than it would solve and at the moment you dont want to risk being caught with a gun as its a 5 year stretch minimum but without a gun you may get a couple of months

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by CX
An after thought.....i'd love to know why he handed himself in straight after?

This is a guy who was already on the run for two murders, then he kills two more, hardly the type to hand himself over.

Not only that, but if we take the reporting at face value, he set himself up to kill a couple of coppers. He called them into his trap. Seems to me that he wanted to be a 'cop killer' for some reason. I can't think of any other reason, given all the circumstances, than to gain kudos when he gets sent down, and to ensure that he gets sent to a maximum security facility. And or, the guy is a complete whack job. But to have chalked up a 'gangland hit' and then two coppers, should get him pretty much a top dog position no matter which of Her Majesty's prisons he finds himself in. Or looking at it another way, if might even get him placed in an isolation wing, which if the hit that he carried out on the outside could bring him up face to face with those that may want revenge on the inside, it may have been quite a shrewd move on his part.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   
first of all they sent them in on a routine call,can,t blame any1 when some nut case comes out and shoots down two coppers,also some1 pointed out hes already murdered 2 people which if he had gave himself up he wud probably have done 20 years......now hes put 2 cops in the mix then hes never getting released,to me it makes no sense to kill 2 people then go on run for months then shoot 2 innocent cops and then hand urself in after a cpl of hours,whats that all abt?

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join