Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Mysterious bird-like drone may have popped up in both Iraq and Pakistan, origin still unknown

page: 1

join

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 05:14 AM
link   

The quite strange unarmed bird-like drone which was recovered by Pakistani forces in August of 2011 apparently did not just fly over Pakistan, but was also apparently spotted by Iraqi insurgents at least two years before making its way to Pakistan.

One might jump to the conclusion that the drone belongs to the United States since the U.S. is involved a great deal of drone operations in Pakistan – which the Pakistani parliament has unanimously declared must end. It also appears to be similar to some of the drone projects which are leaning towards designs influenced by birds and insects.

I would guess its been made by the US. Since it was spotted flying over both Iraq and Pakistan. Although I am surprised there is no report of identifying markings.

I guess we will see more of this kind of thing is the future as the boundaries between robotics and nature blurr....

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 05:32 AM
link   
Interesting... Source???

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 05:44 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 05:57 AM
link   
If they can make drone insects, why not birds?

I don't think its the US government doing this because they openly fly drones......except if these drones were made to get inside smaller areas unoticed.

..but either way, why would US government who doesn't care, be sneaky and use birds?....they openly do things without anyones consent anyway...reguardless if the people see it or not.

I'm guessing its another super power close to the region, flying under America's radar....and trying to be unoticed by the citizens and by the US.
edit on 18-9-2012 by kat2684 because: (no reason given)

If they were Americans there would be no need to hide serial numbers...

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 06:12 AM
link   
reply to post by purplemer

obviously whoever made these needs to work on their self-destruct mechanism.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 06:59 AM
link   
If it's just a platform for a camera why bother with self destruct?

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by kat2684

I don't think its the US government doing this because they openly fly drones......except if these drones were made to get inside smaller areas unoticed.

I agree its not like the US. They do not really hide there drones..

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by samkent

Ummm did you really ask that? Never give your enemy information. 1, they may gain technological information.
2, they may be able to tell where the information gets routed to. And obviously if you are surveilling someone, you dont want them to know that.

I really cant believe you asked that, or that some other naive individual starred that response!

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 09:52 AM
link   
If you want to know what this is then you need to google "Markus Fischer" from a company called Bionic Learning Network established by a company called Festo in Germany. If you want to see the "bird" in action then have a look at the "TED talks" done by Markus.

Not sure how sucessful attaching a camera to it would be... you would think the motion would likely make it useless... I guess computer software could maybe compensate for it, who knows. Maybe slightly more covert than a drone but can't see it being useful in that these "insurgents" know they are being watched by a superpower so what's doing the watching isn't all that important.

I bet they thought it was a Thunderbird when they saw it flying

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 09:56 AM
link   

If you are secretly spying on someone, why would you want identifiable markings on it??

Hey look, it's a drone with a US flag on it.......Come on!

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Chrisfishenstein

They are not secretly spying. It is the public knowledge that the US has drones flying about. Maybe it is a US drone I am not saying its not. It just seems a little different to me, Certainly it is not in keeping with most US drones that look like gliders.. Maybe it is US made and they tried to disguise it as a big flying bird...

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 10:07 AM
link   
reply to post by kat2684

I don't think it's made to get into any smaller of an area, it would still require a pretty wide berth to fly in, but rather just a recon drone shaped like a bird so it is less likely to be shot down. Unless you could really see it, it would have the siliouhette of a bird and be small so it would be less likely to be pointed out, not to mention harder to shoot down.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by docgreen15
If you want to know what this is then you need to google "Markus Fischer" from a company called Bionic Learning Network established by a company called Festo in Germany. If you want to see the "bird" in action then have a look at the "TED talks" done by Markus.

Not sure how sucessful attaching a camera to it would be... you would think the motion would likely make it useless... I guess computer software could maybe compensate for it, who knows. Maybe slightly more covert than a drone but can't see it being useful in that these "insurgents" know they are being watched by a superpower so what's doing the watching isn't all that important.

I bet they thought it was a Thunderbird when they saw it flying

Sorry I didn't realise that the original source says this "drone" isn't the one by Festo as it doesn't look as good. Probs just some millitary hack. Not very important news... might as well have said "new drone over middle east"... lol

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

I agree completely!

My dad worked for a big defense contractor.....I remember when the U2 spy planes were a big deal, he would say they could read postage stamps off the ground.

The suggestion that it was to get in small areas was a bit of a stretch,

Today they have the xray vans that can see through walls, I imagine drones could have this technology as well...
www.foxnews.com...

I doubt this technology is ours, it doesn't have all the bells and whistles.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 11:13 AM
link   

As strange as this may sound, I think I may have seen one of these 'bird drones' flying above the Willamette river, here, in Oregon, about two months ago. I thought it was a seagull, at first, until I noticed it seem to stay at a constant speed, flying in a straight path, and never once flapped its wings, nor change its elevation. It was strange, to say the least, and I pointed it out to a couple of coworkers who also agreed that it did not act like an ordinary seagull, and more like a RC plane. What it actually was, or what it was doing here, is any ones guess, but after seeing this post I figured I should throw this out there and see if anyone else in the US has seen anything similar.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by VonDoomen

obviously whoever made these needs to work on their self-destruct mechanism.

My thoughts exactly! Note to self....get 3D printer, obtain bird drone......create my own bird drones....open investigation business and spy on straying spouses for money. It could work!

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Reminds me of these things

new topics

top topics

join