It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chinese 'Zerg rush' Senkaku Islands with 1,000 fishing boats, dramatic pics inside!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thunderheart
China says they own Diaoyu island, Japan says they bought it form "someone", the Chinese find this hilarious because "someone" in Chinese translates to "Japan",.
Diaoyu island is only 4.3km long but China is taking this very seriously because they consider Japan's intrusion as a violation of their territory since they say they own this island, also, the location of it is very relevant as a military position.
China does not take Japan's military abilities lightly, they believe Japan has a very strong military and that they are crazy so...
I just hope they don't drag us into this mess.

Technically, Japan DOES have these islands under their justified control, because Japan was the first nation to settle them in the 1800's.

Both China and Japan (and Taiwan too) have references to the islands in their history, but those of China were mentions and nothing more. Japan sent people there, had business there, and the islands were recognized as being those of Japan after WW2.

China only laid claim to the islands in 1972 when they were handed back to Japan by the US, and it was stated that there are oil and gas reserves there.

IMO, that shows that China has no claim on these islands. They didn't want them before there was mention of oil, Japan had business there a century ago. China only started crying about it when the government decided it wanted that oil.

The ideal situation would be for them to share it. But we know that's not going to happen.

Given all the historical evidence, I say Japan is the one with most proven interest in those islands, and China is just pissed that they didn't get there first.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Not a whole lot for me to add just sitting back and watching it all unfold, but couldn't help myself from posting this. I think it pretty much sums up china's problem

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 11:53 AM
link   
As I'm understanding it, these are Chinese fishing junks not PLAN warships or coastal patrol boats, right? So it's a message not a provocation to war. In fact, quite the opposite. China wouldn't want this many non-combatants in the middle of what they'd need to be a free fire zone to get the Japanese any more than the Japanese would now open fire over the heads of all those Chinese civilians.

China made their point though. In a game where numbers matter, they don't need guns to win a fight. They have the economy of scale to just tell their civilian fishing fleet to go try those new waters for awhile.....and a whole seeming armada descends and just clears the waters of everything else.

This is interesting to watch unfold, but this development seems to have moved further from the possibility of war rather than closer to it....unless they are really that crazy with all those fisherman in the jackpot now.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Man in the late 90s Richard marcinko wrote a fictional book about the Chinese and Japan wanting these islands and using SF unites to do covert work on them. Somehow the us gets sucked into mess and only Richard Marcinko can clean it up. But it still amazes me that he generally can predict hotspots around the world a decade earlier.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   
what do they plan to do?? overfish the water to amke japan not want the islands anymore?? haha

but seriously, it would not take many warships to take out all those fishing boats rihgt?

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Those fishings boats are back up by the Chinese navy.

This thing could escalate very soon.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by penninja

Completely different from America where here this would be "Red Dawn" in Japan this is "Chinese fishing violation"

I think Japan is the one who is acting stupid in this case ... their conduct in this case, is reprentable. So is the US conduct here as well.

China, this is an extremely smart move ... they can end this dispute, and take the Island ... without firiing a shot. Let's see if they can do it ...

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 01:10 PM
link   
The Chinese are also still sore at the Japanese for atrocities committed upon them by Imperial Japan during the second Sino-Japanese war, and I'm sure they're still itching for a little payback.

Anti-Japan sentiment is very strong in China today, even before this whole island thing started to blow up.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by tjack
The Chinese are also still sore at the Japanese for atrocities committed upon them by Imperial Japan during the second Sino-Japanese war, and I'm sure they're still itching for a little payback.

Anti-Japan sentiment is very strong in China today, even before this whole island thing started to blow up.

I think it hasn't helped that the Japanese minister more or less "denied" the atrocities, and the Japans haven't publicly apologized for it, or payed damages.

And the US, not having followed it's treaty with China, giving them back the Islands accordingly. Sure doesn't help the situation. The US "apparently" considers the exile Nationalist government of Formosa (Taiwan), to be the only part in the deal, and not "China" as such. Completely ignoring the atrocities that China had to endure, by the Anglo-French, American and Japanese.

edit on 18/9/2012 by bjarneorn because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 01:35 PM
link   
The Sea sheppard is coming for them

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Someone posted this on the source article:

The three-month summer fishing ban in the East China Sea ended on September 16. Over 10,000 fishing boats set off for fishing from Zhejiang province and Fujian province. According to incomplete statistics, over 1,000 Chinese fishing boats from Zhejiang and Fujian enter waters around Diaoyu Islands for fishing every year. A Chinese Marine surveillance official said they will continue the patrol and law enforcement in waters near Diaoyu Islands.

So this event is really nothing new - just Chinese fishermen trying to make a living. I'm sure there are a few crew members that hold an anti-Japanese sentiment but that isn't the reason they are going. Their government didn't send them.

The difference this year is that the disputed islands (according to Japan) have been brought by the government. So from Japan's perspective, these islands now belong to the nation, not a private citizen. Not sure if that will make a difference or not - we'll just have to wait and see if/how the Japanese respond when the fleet enters the area.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by bjarneorn

I think Japan is the one who is acting stupid in this case ... their conduct in this case, is reprentable. So is the US conduct here as well.

How is it that Japan is acting stupid for buying these island from their private owners as well as being the only claimants to the area who have a case that could stand up in any actual court of law? And the Americans are stupid for backing their strategic partner in the region in their justified purchase?

Their behavior may certainly be "reprentable", though, depending on just what the definition of that word is.

Just why is it that you want China to succeed in bullying Japan into submission?
edit on 18-9-2012 by Mkoll because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by fenceSitter
The difference this year is that the disputed islands (according to Japan) have been brought by the government. So from Japan's perspective, these islands now belong to the nation, not a private citizen. Not sure if that will make a difference or not - we'll just have to wait and see if/how the Japanese respond when the fleet enters the area.

Let's see if the Chinese are smart enough to figure out how to outsmart the Japs ... it's really really easy for them to do it, there is legal precedence in these cases. But, let's see if they can figure out how. Well, they probably already know, but let's see if they can get it done ...

edit on 18/9/2012 by bjarneorn because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 04:07 PM
link   
On Japanese news that 1000 fishing boats are part of the fleet of 10 000 fishing boat
www.youtube.com...

edit on 18-9-2012 by dollukka because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Thanks OP, this ties in neatly with a post I just made on an old thread of mine: China: Trade embargo on Rare Earth minerals/metals - What damage could this do to the West?, looking at another angle on this increasing friction between the two states, here: link to post in which I refer to the following:

I was just reading this article, in the Telegraph online: Beijing hints at bond attack on Japan Although it doesn't make the headline, the possibility of REEs being cited as a possible weapon is right there:

Separately, the Hong Kong Economic Journal reported that China is drawing up plans to cut off Japan’s supplies of rare earth metals needed for hi-tech industry.

The warnings came as anti-Japanese protests spread to 85 cities across China, forcing Japanese companies to shutter factories and suspend operations.

Fitch Ratings threatened to downgrade a clutch of Japanese exporters if the clash drags on. It warned that Nissan is heavily at risk with 26p of its global car sales in China, followed by Honda with 20pc. Sharp and Panasonic both have major exposure. Japan’s exports to China were $74bn in the first half of this year. Bilateral trade reached $345bn last year.

NB - Bear in mind, this article, perhaps diplomatically, refers to how much trade the Japanese companies quoted (just some of the large list of Japanese firms that need REEs) export TO China , but remember that without the REEs, they may not be able to make products for any other markets either, given the large percentage of monopoly China has on world supply of REEs (c. 90% when I began this thread in 2009) - and yes, I know that China may not account for @ 90% of REE deposits on earth, but online production/supply to markets = yes/@90%...
edit on 18-9-2012 by curioustype because: Added brief overview/summary of personal insights garnered from aforementioned thread...

[ **REE = Rare Earth Element (or Rare Earth Mineral/Metal], needed in many, many ICT products....
edit on 18-9-2012 by curioustype because: **Forgot to define acronym - thought some may appreciate it.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 05:07 PM
link   
I've said this many times. You learn from history so you don't make the same mistakes again and again. But these morons are so brainwashed, both Japanese and Chinese people. Both rewrite history and exclude important bits. But the important thing is, Japan doesn't and hasn't committed any atrocities of yet, they don't have violent riots. Now put this in perspective, japan has protected and had the island for so long and yet once they find oil china wants it? This is like when New Jersey wanted NY's statue of liberty saying its in their waters, when NYS took care of all the maintenance since it was brought over. China has violent riots, they continue to commit atrocities among their own people, they destroyed their land.

So you tell me? who should own it? It should be japan. They've thrived in a land where they are not rich in natural resources. Yes a nuclear plant went boom, but they've taken more care of their land than China. Their people are not so ignorant that they would burn everything down and hurt/kill people.

Lastly, their economic power? Their economic power is falling, people don't want as many chinese made crap now. China selling oil with yuan by inflating their currency? Come on, every country is going to stop them. Who do you think make's china's economy so great? The Chinese? HELLLL NAWWW. Its foreign investors, US #1, and Japan #3. If this continues china will cripple their economy while the rest of the world thrives again. Let these morons do what they want and watch them destroy themselves

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Svipdagr

Japan doesn't and hasn't committed any atrocities of yet

But the Chinese still have Nanking, unit 731 and a few other things cast into their national history
en.wikipedia.org...
That's within living memory still for a few...and it has apparently been consistently featured as a topic in their schools curriculum for generations...

Yes a nuclear plant went boom, but they've taken more care of their land than China.

I'm sorry, but as I was an avid reader/contributor for say the first 1,100 pages of this mega thread,
Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake,
I read, viewed, and watched a great deal of material, and learned that, sadly, there appears to be a great deal of evidence that your hypothesis could well be challenged, at least when viewed as a square-mile for square-mile comparison.

Point to add, in fact they had several booms, and things went quite seriously wrong at several nuclear sites. Fukushima is still a ticking time bomb, is still generating vast quantities of very nasty waste, still not contained it's effluent and so is still leaking contaminants into the sea, and in fact, they are struggling to find the capacity (of space) on which to store the vast quantities of 'dirty' water/effluents they can extract and put in dry casks...another major quake is due, and we now know many of their nuclear sites are severely marginalised by their proximity to fault lines and other associated issues....seriously, if you're at all interested, read that thread....

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by DIRTYDONKEY

Thanks for posting the south park video
You have made my day

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 08:18 PM
link   
No one thought the title Zerg rush was funny as hell

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by yourmaker

Originally posted by Sek82
Is China that hard up on resources? One of the larger islands is only two by one miles in size, and I don't see many docking areas there. What are they all going to do once they get there?

it's to set a precedent. incrementally taking land piece by piece, would demoralize japan as well.

There a movement in Japan to do away with the pacifist constitution and upgrade its military .

Right-wing politicians in Japan are calling for a military buildup as the nation's territorial row with China escalates

This gives them the perfect chance to do so.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join