Dog sneezing blood

page: 1

join

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 10:05 PM
link   
If this is posted in the wrong forum I apologize. Mods please move if in the wrong forum.

My dog, a 5 year old male chihuahua, has been sneezing for about a month now. Snot would often come out and sometimes brown chunks of snot. But tonight he sneezed and blood came out. He has sneezed about 10-15 times since then and most times it had blood blowing out. It seems to be coming out only one nostril. He does not even look or act sick, he just sneezes and continues on like normal. Can anyone help me?

The only recent changes made in the house was that today we brought in an old pet carrier that the cat outside would often use. I doubt that is what has caused it though.

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Unfortunately, the most common cause of a dog sneezing blood out of one nostril is a tumor in the nasal cavity. It is not to be taken lightly, I would take your dog into the vet ASAP!! Not trying to scare you, but a bloody nostril in a dog or cat is never a good sign, they don't bleed from their noses easily like humans do.

I hope everything turns out okay for your pet!

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 10:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

It sounds as if your dog has a foreign object stuck deep in his nasal cavity. I would see a vet ASAP, as this seems to have been going on for a month, and maybe infection has proceeded to the point of blood being expelled too. Hope your little one is better soon.

Des

edit on 17-9-2012 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Before you freak and think your dog has a nasal tumor I did find this:

"Canine Nose bleeding is usually a sign of another disorder. In most cases a bleeding dog nose is caused by a fungal infection or or cancer such as a canine nose tumor. It can also be caused by excessive sneezing, which will result in a temporary condition. It can also be caused by your dog's environment including pollution from smoking or poor air quality, an object in your dog's nose, a blood clot or bacterial infection."

Canine Nose Bleeding

Since the dog has been sneezing as of lately it could be temporary but you do need to keep a watch on 'snotty' and figure out what has caused the sneezing. It's could possibly be an allergy. Have you changed dog food or bedding for the dog within the last month?

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 10:22 PM
link   
reply to post by FissionSurplus

reply to post by Destinyone

Well he is not the only dog that is sneezing. We have another dog that has been sneezing as well but she has not sneezed any blood. Papi, my dog with the bloody nasal discharge, has problems with his ears and body for a while now. He is allergic to the flea bites and we have been combating a yeast infection under his arms. His ears also seem to have something wrong, he keeps itching in them. He is so darn stubborn though, not letting anyone help him, so it has been difficult to treat. The other dog that has been sneezing also itches her ears regularly.

Besides, we do not have any money for a vet. We would have to ask family for money so the vet is absolute last choice for us.

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 10:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

WTF is wrong with people asking ATS members their opinions when they should go to the vet. Sorry dude but it's been 3 thread this week about dogs being sick.

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 10:41 PM
link   
ATS is not the place for medical advice, be it human or otherwise, go see a vet ASAP...

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 10:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

Take him to the doctor.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 07:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

You really need to get him to a veterinarian urgently,you should have taken him when he first started sneezing as it sounds as though whatever he has contracted is worsening,get him to a vet now.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 07:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by alphaskunk
reply to post by Misoir

WTF is wrong with people asking ATS members their opinions when they should go to the vet. Sorry dude but it's been 3 thread this week about dogs being sick.

I know,if these people don't have enough common sense to know that a veterinarian is the only first stop they should make for a sick pet,what the hell are they doing with a pet in the first place?,they are totally reliant on us to care for them and if we can't even do that for them,we don't deserve to have them in our care.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 09:44 AM
link   
If you cannot afford a vet bill, perhaps ask a shelter if their vet would take a look at the dog. Maybe they could advise somewhere where you could get help.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Thanks to everyone who posted a helpful reply. He was taken to a vet this afternoon after we had to go through loops to find one willing to help us. Because of his bad attitude and lack of rabies vaccination due to his bad response to the vaccines most vets would not help us. Finally someone was willing to help. The conclusion was that it was either an infection causing it or he had hit his nose. He also gave us a free prescription for an infection. But he really thinks my dog hit his nose. Altogether the cost was just $58 and the vet was amazing.

new topics
top topics

join