It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Loud rumbling sound in central TX

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 10:54 PM
link   
I'm in Austin/Round Rock (Central TX), everything's normal here.
edit on 19-9-2012 by Ear-Responsible because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 10:56 PM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Did it sound like the video in this thread?

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Hey, just wanted to add my 2 cents. My hubby is a soldier on Fort Hood and has been in the field for two weeks training on North Fort Hood (Gatesville area). There is lots of training going on right now, ie ranges, helicopters, etc. It could explain some of what you are hearing. Of course I nor anyone else can say for sure, but did want to let you know that yes I know for a fact that there is training going on right now.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 12:24 AM
link   
reply to post by watchdog

I live in Lawton/Ft. Sill, Okla...home of the only artillery training school. What you describe sounds alot like an MLRS, multiple launch rocket system. They go off here occasionally and they are hella loud and will scare the bejesus out of you....even if you've heard them several times before. The sound they make comes from the sky also. I'd bet a $1 that's what you heard. I'll check the Cannoneer, the Ft. Sill paper tomorrow and see if some of our MLRS's were doing joint training at Ft. Hood.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ear-Responsible
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Did it sound like the video in this thread?

No, it did not. The sound I heard was a rumbling sound. The sound in the video sounds more high pitched and mechanical to me.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by JustinD
reply to post by Deemo Diablo

On 9-18-2012 I contacted Spacex too at 310-363-6000, a number I found on their contact page of their site (www.spacex.com...) and the lady I spoke with said she couldn't give me any details about testing. She didn't have any comment about any testing that may or may not have happened on 9-17-2012. She told me Spacex was a private company and does not have to disclose any testing information.

That doesn't sit right with me. What's so secret about a test that they refuse to disclose? I don't see anything detrimental coming from them saying "Yeah, that noise was us. Nothing to worry about."

Instead they give you a verbal middle finger. I think I just changed my mind about working for them.

Thanks for the info

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by EdSurly

I am familiar with the sound of an MLRS. It is the sound of music to my ears. So much power.

However, with the MLRS you do still hear a bit of the Doppler effect with the rockets, and the sound doesn't end so abruptly.

The sound did not peter off, or taper in the slightest. It was on, then it's like a switch was flipped and just as suddenly it was gone. There wasn't even an echo.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 09:03 PM
link   
reply to post by watchdog

Perhaps. Like I said earlier; I don't believe it is Ft. Hood, but I could be wrong and won't dismiss it.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 11:48 PM
link   
Did anybody hear it again tonight around 9:40 pm?

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 04:41 PM
link   
All has since been quiet, with the major exception of new and unwelcome construction in my immediate surroundings, and the never-ending source of house-rattling earthquakes known as the Fort Hood range.

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Just happened again. 9:39pm CST.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Another entry. Today at 10pm. I happened to be outside at the time and took a video with my iPhone. I can barely hear it on playback with my headphones on and all the way up.

Compass reading pointed at direction of sound reads 319 degrees NorthWest.

The link to external image... yeah it's a video. Not for the purpose of capturing the video aspect so much, but for the audio. The video just shows that I'm standing outside in the dark. The moving lights are because I wasn't holding the phone very still and are of no consequence.
edit on 19-11-2012 by Deemo Diablo because: added video... hopefully

edit on 19-11-2012 by Deemo Diablo because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 07:39 PM
link   
i have been watching this thread since it was originally posted. The noise you have described along with the times given points directly to SpaceX. The sudden start, the almost even rumble and the abrupt ending is how a engine test sounds. For each of the dates and times given directly correlates with tests at the Mcgregor site.

As far as the one poster who called SpaceX, Tests are not secret and can be seen from public roads around the site. The individual you spoke with may have been in cali, and quite frankly didnt have any idea of what the test schedule was so replied with a rubber stamp response. Tests are often performed twice a day 6 days a week and are very much routine. You may question as why you don't hear all of the tests if they are so routine... Wind, Cloud cover, and being home in a quiet environment contribute to noticing a test. One poster questioned why there didnt seem to be any concern out of the Mcgregor area, and the easiest response is they are used to it. Test times vary day to day so there is no way to predict when you might could hear a test.

Just wanted to post some insight and ease any concerns....

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Thanks, TXme36. They actually came to my school and showed us a few videos of their facilities and a couple tests while explaining some things about their company, apparently to grab the attention of some experienced individuals for the prospect of obtaining our interest. They seem like really nice and very hard-working people. It's just amazing that I'd hear those rocket tests all the way over here. Of course if your goal is to go to mars, you need to think big.

I concur with your solution and consider this case now closed

Oh and by the way; welcome to ATS!
edit on 11-12-2012 by Deemo Diablo because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by txme36

They would not be testing at 9pm though. I just listened to the video and that does sound really strange.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 10:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Deemo Diablo

HI I I live in copperas cove,u know not to far from FT Hood,we hear loud booming noises to,lots of copters in the sky lately to,really don't know what to make of it

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Did it sound like any of these?

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Jasmine, I can confirm the elevated activity at Ft. Hood. We had one go off that nearly shook our house off its foundation. And Patriotsrevenge, they absolutely would be testing at 9pm. During the meet and greet at TSTC they explained that they test all the way up to 10pm, and they're working on a rocket that can take off and land vertically.
Pretty cool stuff. Loud, but still cool. Fort Hood on the other hand is loud, physically shakes the earth for miles and is quite undesirable, mostly from the consistency of the noise.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Havox, those are some creepy sounds! No, the sounds I heard were nothing like that, although I sort of wish they were
I especially liked the clip from Winnipeg, it reminds me of some of the hypnogogic sounds I hear.

Although nothing spectacular happens here, I'm considering dusting off the video camera and keeping it charged and ready for instances just like those.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 11:03 PM
link   
reply to post by PatriotGames2

My wife and I used to hear these exact same sounds with the ubrupt ending almost every night. But its been a while. So weird, it’s one of those things you almost don’t want to acknowledge. We’re just west of Dallas / Fort Worth International Airport in Grapevine, Texas around 360 & Glade. I do have a couple theories but would love to heard other’s input as well!!

1. Maybe military Aircraft on the ground taxiing by an obstical. That deflects all sound at an instant. Though, even growing up on Air Forces bases this still seems too abrupt and doesn’t really jive with fighter jet or large jet planes taxiing. Throttling up or down should be more noticeable and the rumbling is missing that higher pitched sound that accompanies jets like that.

2. Drilling – there has been natural gas drilling in our area in recent years. It could be the vibrations of the rock below rather than something hovering above. Turning off or backing off a drill bit could explain the abruptness.

Just ideas, weird for sure!! Others have reported similar in Norman OK, and even in the UK. .

top topics

<< 1   >>

join