It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Video captures Romney's thoughts on Obama voters

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Already scrambling to steady a struggling campaign, Republican Mitt Romney confronted a new headache after a video surfaced showing him telling wealthy donors that almost half of all Americans "believe they are victims'' entitled to extensive government support. He added that as a candidate for the White House, "my job is not to worry about those people.'' The video threatens to derail Romney's bid to win the White House, as a recent Reuters/Ipsos poll shows President Obama leading the former Massachusetts governor by 48 percent to 43 percent with only 50 days remaining the campaign. According to a video, filmed covertly at a fundraising event and leaked to news website Mother Jones, Romney said he would never convince 47 percent of voters to vote for him.

More Here

This man just shot himself in the foot I think
Please read more in the link , Its a pretty good read

Sorry but I don't know much about American politics to comment more

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 08:38 PM
link   
He really didn't shoot himself in the foot. He knows he is not going to get the entitlement vote. He is just telling it how it is. A little taste of reality if you will. Most people want to elect someone who will either help them or look cool giving speeches. He just said he is pandering to those who will vote for someone who looks cool giving speeches. Yes they exist and there is a ton of them out there.

Of course neither Obama nor Romney would get my vote considering neither wants to change the monetary system which is the true central issue, not this other B.S.

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Of course he doesn’t care. He thinks middle class is between 200k to 250k or less he thinks 100k is not middle class and everyone that doesn’t make that kind of money are leaching of society.

He has not even taken the time to learn who the middle class is. To him we are all a bunch of peons.
edit on 17-9-2012 by Grimpachi because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 09:31 PM
link   
SOURCE

"So my job is not to worry about those people. I'll never convince them they should take personal responsibility and care for their lives."

This Romney starting to not sound so bad.

Seriously tho, he does kinda have a point. Isn't that what the dems run on. There is a large percent of people that are just lazy and abuse the system. And i dont think they will vote for the guy that wants to take the food out of their mouth.

I hate the word entitlements, why are you entitled To the money I worked my butt Off for? However I'm not opposed to helping those that truly can't help themselves.

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 10:10 PM
link   
This had to be said and has to be repeated often. Romney is not wrong here and I am glad he has such a viewpoint.

Half the country is living off of the other half and tough decisions have to be made to ensure that those who can/should do for themselves (but aren't) must be forced to start making their own way and metaphorically move out of their parents basement.

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 10:26 PM
link   
I'll act like somebody who supports this guy:

The nerve of these people. Next they'll want free education for their children, police and fire protection, streets and highways, and public parks.

Seriously, let's just forget about our fellow human beings. If somebody gets sick and dies because they couldn't afford what somebody else who makes 250,000 a year or was born into money, screw them they are lazy worthless human beings and a drag on society.

If parents can't pay for the best schools like people who make 250,000 a year make, then that's the kids destiny for having parents who are poor and week. Oh and Disabled or Old?? What a cop out!

Seriously, you can't say people putting forth 100% effort who can't afford what you can lazy drains on society.

edit on 17-9-2012 by furono because: Added text

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 10:43 PM
link   
reply to post by furono

Tired tired tired old outdated worn out threadbare argument.

Why is it the redistributionists always go to the children, police and fire protection, streets and highways, and public parks well. I gotta tell you... it's all dried up. No one is talking about those things and the only time they ever come up is when someone tries to move the discussion into an "untouchable" area.

I'm suprised that you haven't called anyone a racist yet.

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 10:51 PM
link   
OK this is it for me. I was all in for Ron Paul and I think the prez hasn't kept a lot of his promises (close Guantanamo, stop wars, and instead he signed NDAA) but with the current options I'm voting Obama. I really tried to like Romney but with all his blunders and picking rubber-stamp Ryan as a VP, the Akin rape comments, it's just too much for me. I'll mail my ballot in tomorrow and it will be all democrat.

Seriously, even when I was fresh out of college, working for a lousy 30+K I was paying taxes AND paying for my health insurance AND my car payment. I didn't get any help from the govt or tax cuts or whatever and now Romney openly insults half the country that he wants to be prez of? I respected Bush for trying to be an average guy and I liked Cheney for his diabolical leadership but I'm DONE with the republican party, especially with Ron Paul retired!

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 12:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by DarkSecret
OK this is it for me. I was all in for Ron Paul and I think the prez hasn't kept a lot of his promises (close Guantanamo, stop wars, and instead he signed NDAA) but with the current options I'm voting Obama. I really tried to like Romney but with all his blunders and picking rubber-stamp Ryan as a VP, the Akin rape comments, it's just too much for me. I'll mail my ballot in tomorrow and it will be all democrat.

Seriously, even when I was fresh out of college, working for a lousy 30+K I was paying taxes AND paying for my health insurance AND my car payment. I didn't get any help from the govt or tax cuts or whatever and now Romney openly insults half the country that he wants to be prez of? I respected Bush for trying to be an average guy and I liked Cheney for his diabolical leadership but I'm DONE with the republican party, especially with Ron Paul retired!

That doesn't sound very smart.

Voting Obama is actually, the least intelligent thing I could ever do. I'd rather not vote.

Obama wants to raise taxes, he is an absolute disaster and you want to vote for him because of what someone else said?

Don't vote.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 12:16 AM
link   
If the general populace are such leeches then why are they being taxed a higher percentage of their income?

I would like to compare his wealth with the combined lower class' income and see who is contributing more.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 12:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Elzon1
He really didn't shoot himself in the foot. He knows he is not going to get the entitlement vote. He is just telling it how it is. A little taste of reality if you will. Most people want to elect someone who will either help them or look cool giving speeches. He just said he is pandering to those who will vote for someone who looks cool giving speeches. Yes they exist and there is a ton of them out there.

Of course neither Obama nor Romney would get my vote considering neither wants to change the monetary system which is the true central issue, not this other B.S.

Here's how it really is. More "entitlements" have been given to the elderly and the middle class under Republican administrations then the working poor under Democrats.

In 1960, government transfers to individuals totaled $24 billion. By 2010, that total was 100 times as large. Even after adjusting for inflation, entitlement transfers to individuals have grown by more than 700 percent over the last 50 years. This spending surge, Eberstadt notes, has increased faster under Republican administrations than Democratic ones.

The people who receive the disproportionate share of government spending are not big-government lovers. They are Republicans. They are senior citizens. They are white men with high school degrees. As Bill Galston of the Brookings Institution has noted, the people who have benefited from the entitlements explosion are middle-class workers, more so than the dependent poor.

That's from conservative David Brooks. Get ready for 4 more years of Obama, because Romney just lost the election. What an outright #ing moron, and what morons the Republicans were to cave to Romney. True conservatives have been screaming at the top of their lungs that he'll be defeated.

www.nytimes.com...

This entire argument proves that everything these 2 parties run on is absolute horse #. it's ALL LIES. Republicans are all about big government! Democrats could give a rats ass about the poor. If crap like this doesn't prove why it's intellectually dishonest to get emotionally attached to any of the manure that politicians spread on the fictitious 2 side of the political debate in the US, I don't know what is.
edit on 18-9-2012 by Drew99GT because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 02:14 AM
link   
reply to post by pillock

do you ever wonder why we, as humans, come together as a society, as a people, a country, a tribe, a nation or a culture? much of the right/left of political debate can be found in the answer to this one question.

do we come together as a group to support and aide and protect one another for shared security and prosperity? i see no other reason to gather together if not to share love and support.

yet there are some who would argue that the purpose of human gathering, human culture, is to exploit, rape, pillage, and grab power over your fellow humans through total selfishness. mitt romney, who made his fortune on the poverty labor and food-poisoning of others, is one of those psychopaths who is incapible of understanding heart or the reasons we form society together. unfortunately, obama is probably the same.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 02:15 AM
link   
Okay , as I said before I do not know how the US govt works, but as an outsider looking in why do huge corporations get away with paying stuff all tax ?
For an example,Apple sidestepping” billions of dollars in taxes by setting up subsidiary companies in tax-free or low-tax states and countries? link

It looks like the rich get away with dodgy tax avoidance whilst the poor get screwed ? How is this fare

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 02:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by sirbadazz
reply to post by pillock

do you ever wonder why we, as humans, come together as a society, as a people, a country, a tribe, a nation or a culture? much of the right/left of political debate can be found in the answer to this one question.

do we come together as a group to support and aide and protect one another for shared security and prosperity? i see no other reason to gather together if not to share love and support.

yet there are some who would argue that the purpose of human gathering, human culture, is to exploit, rape, pillage, and grab power over your fellow humans through total selfishness. mitt romney, who made his fortune on the poverty labor and food-poisoning of others, is one of those psychopaths who is incapible of understanding heart or the reasons we form society together. unfortunately, obama is probably the same.

I get what you are saying , like I said US politics is something I know nothing about.
I do however hate seeing the rich dodging taxes while we little men have to pay.
If someone needs help then we as a society should do whatever we can to give assistance .

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 02:49 AM
link   
From an outside view, I sat here feeling totally shocked at the responses this gets.
I've been outside for a while, when I go back, my fmily is more in a liberal area- west coast, intellectual, Dr.'s University prof.s.... people with a fair amount of money, but for paying more taxes and all.

I haven't been exposed to a lot of the type of opinion I am seeing in this thread, though I read it often on the net.

I do have a cousin who did the best Universities, and was doing well until he found out he had Multiple Sclerosis, and lost his job immediately as a result, had his insurance throw him out, and no other insurance company will take him, and no other employment either. He hasn't even gotten to symptoms yet- he has years to go, a wife and baby, and he's screwed. Every family has some member like that, which makes them aware that those struggling are not always there because of their own fault! Even the wealthy ones.

My first guess? I am thinking this was "leaked" on purpose, for the lower class people who share this idea- the ones that want to believe that ethical behavior and hard work will get you up to those levels and give you security, and that is just a few years ahead for you, like the lottery ticket in your pocket. He is feeding your hope.

If it works, I sure hope that it works out for you. I hope that the major failure we've seen suddenly turns around and the corporations suddenly start serving their society by creating jobs in their own country again!

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 06:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by pillock
Okay , as I said before I do not know how the US govt works, but as an outsider looking in why do huge corporations get away with paying stuff all tax ?
For an example,Apple sidestepping” billions of dollars in taxes by setting up subsidiary companies in tax-free or low-tax states and countries? link

It looks like the rich get away with dodgy tax avoidance whilst the poor get screwed ? How is this fare

Because the United States companies currently pay the the highest taxes in the world to their government and they should get out of paying whenever they can.

If it seems to you that the poor get screwed how exactly does that to happen?

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 06:38 AM
link   
Don't tell me you don't agree with this. I'm surprised it's only 47%. I would have thought that barack hussien obama with his communist policies would have that up over 50%. If you don't believe this you're just the Kool-Aid drinker barack hussien obama is looking for. I unfortunately am in the 42% that supports the 47%.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Funny because I feel the same way about Obama supporters. Bunch of free loading dumb asses.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by DarkSecret

yeah but hes not insulting you, listen to him he says 40 or so percent of america is like that. You and I arent like that though we work our butts off and don't expect government handouts. You don't think Ron Paul thought the same thing? hes a libertarian for goodness sake !!! you think he loves all the people on government programs leaching the system.

I work In the food industry and more then half the people I work with are all sheeple demi's who don't have a fricken clue. You people say you want free healthcare and free this and free that. But what happens 10 years down the road when the government says hey peanutbutter is bad for you and can make you fat, and we don't want you getting fat so peanutbutter is coming off the shelf. Or were not paying for you to have more then one kid, so if you get pregers again you have to abort it. you know they are talking about putting chips in peoples arms for food stamps now to cut back on fraud, that sure as heck sounds like fun.

Open your eyes people.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigcountry08
reply to post by DarkSecret

yeah but hes not insulting you, listen to him he says 40 or so percent of america is like that. You and I arent like that though we work our butts off and don't expect government handouts. You don't think Ron Paul thought the same thing? hes a libertarian for goodness sake !!! you think he loves all the people on government programs leaching the system.

I work In the food industry and more then half the people I work with are all sheeple demi's who don't have a fricken clue. You people say you want free healthcare and free this and free that. But what happens 10 years down the road when the government says hey peanutbutter is bad for you and can make you fat, and we don't want you getting fat so peanutbutter is coming off the shelf. Or were not paying for you to have more then one kid, so if you get pregers again you have to abort it. you know they are talking about putting chips in peoples arms for food stamps now to cut back on fraud, that sure as heck sounds like fun.

Open your eyes people.

Romney is a numbers person, or at least that's what the people at Bain claim. He should have known that the most non-tax payers are actually in red states and that most red states are the poorest ones getting more money back from the feds than they pay into this fed fund. He basically insulted his base, the republicans who can't find work because the national unemployment rate is 15% and individual states even worse. He insulted students, people who don't make enough money to pay takes (and there are plenty poor in the red states), the elderly who don't pay taxes thanks to the Bush tax cuts, and basically anyone who has kids, a mortgage, medical expenses and uses the deductions to get to zero fed taxes.

Maybe I'm more informed than the average voter, but I just CAN'T vote for someone who's just so out of touch with those who will vote for him?!

As for forced abortions and chip implants - let's get real. That will cause riots and possibly a civil war and it will never happen as long as half the population has guns.

As a side note, I support free abortions and birth control rather than having to pay welfare for a child and a mother. A free abortion might actually help that mother finish high school and get a job, maybe even pay taxes!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join