It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cane rat meat 'sold to public' in Ridley Road Market

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by 12voltz

Rat Milk seriously is gross

Give me rat meat over rat milk anyday.

If I had no choice that is

Which I do.

SAY NO TO RAT MILK !!!!

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by CaptainBeno
That is a seriously sized rat!!!!?? Holy S..............................

Ok, now I can see why they might eat these things.

Still, it's preparation looks disgusting, plus the way it's stored....not good.

Whoa!!! still can't get over the size of that sucker!!!!!!!
edit on 17-9-2012 by CaptainBeno because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-9-2012 by CaptainBeno because: picture

L
L
different folks, different strokes, and acquired tastes
if those rats, and i've seen sewer rats that large, being from NYC, are properly raised, skinned gutted and cooked
might taste nice, probably like rabbit, another rodent btw

i'm sure trying to feed somebody a Vegemite sandwich, can get you in trouble in some parts

i'll bet most of you guys would be disgusted by some of the stuff i've eaten
which includes snake meat, elephant hide, crickets, grasshoppers, and waterbugs

now liver, that's really disgusting, i'll skip the chilled monkey brains as well, and i absolutely refuse to eat anything not properly dead, though i suppose i'd have to make an exception when i finally try some nice fat grubs

lol i think i'll give

"smokies", a delicacy made by charring sheep or goat with a blow torch.

a miss too

i once cooked some hard sausage, with a propane gas range and the taste was pretty yucky and mettalic

seems to me much of the uproar and "illegality" has more to do with not paying the queens taxes and tarrifs
than any supposed health concerns from the same douches that stamp "Approved" on GMO's and pink slime meat
edit on 17-9-2012 by DerepentLEstranger because: added edit and comment

edit on 17-9-2012 by DerepentLEstranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Can't be buying meat that hasn't been passed through the middle man.

It can't be because it's dangerous, if people were dying from it they would know.

It's not about safety, it's about taxes.

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 09:24 PM
link   
isn't that what they made the Rib-wich out of?

pure ratty goodness

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 10:14 PM
link   
The Cane Rat (Thryonomys swinderianus) is not a rat, it's a totally unrelated species, more closely related to Guinea Pig than Rat. They are farmed in Africa, where they're called Grasscutters to distinguish them from real rats. In the wild they live by river banks and eat grass, unlike like filty rats that eat refuse and carry disease. I've seen this mix up happen before and it really p****es me off. There's several projects ongoing to breed Grasscutters (some EU funded) for biggger size and litter size.

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Rat / Grasscutter etc etc...............don't see much of it on supermarket shelves?

I guess it's a western thing?

Korea - Dogs
French - Horses

etc etc

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 11:23 PM
link   
What's cane rat taste like? Is it good? Maybe I should check out what it tastes like before commenting on this.

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 11:43 PM
link   
If you slapped an "organic" sticker on the rat meat people would be claiming that this is oppression from Monsanto. If nobody is getting hurt why not buy and sell rat meat?

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 11:56 PM
link   
Rats, I missed that sale.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 12:09 AM
link   
From the source:

Confronted with BBC London's evidence, Islam Halal Meat; Punjab Halal Meat and Fish and Dalston Butchers denied they were selling illegal meat.

The manager of Great Expectations, a food store which sold two Ghanaian rats to the undercover BBC researcher, said: "I don't sell rats, I never sell rats, I don't sell rats.

"I don't have any rats, why you come to video me?"

The manager of Adom Trading, another shop that sold bush meat described as a Ghanaian "grass cutter" rat, also denied selling it.

"What you are saying is a lie, a 100% lie, I don't sell rats.
Somehow I didn't think it was from McDonalds.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 11:35 AM
link   
This is potentially hazardous, but not at all suprising. For a start, in feudal Britain, and later on, such as during the second World War, and continuing into the rationing period, there have been people trading in meat that either was not technically thiers to sell, or indeed, fit for human consumption. As trades go, it is probably one of the older illicit trades in our nation today, along side whoring, and outright theft. Despite our modern ways, the people whose job it is to ensure the quality of all food stuffs sold in our nation, are neither worldly, intelligent, or possessed of any particular imagination, which is why the system requires complaints to be made, in order for investigations and visits to be made to a premises.

If this sort of trade in illegally produced/sourced meat is to be stopped, then the system by which purveyors of meats and fish are regulated and kept clean, will have to be altered to remove the requirement for complaint, and be replaced with monthly, unannounced visits from the health inspectors to ensure that the people selling these illegal and potentially dangerous products, are always under threat of a visit.

The reason we cannot rely on complaints based systems to prompt a visit from the inspectors, is actually a very simple matter, comprised of a few key points:

1) Sometimes a supplier of meat will serve a particular section of a community, a particular demographic if you will, more than it does others. In the event that the supplier is providing a delicacy from outside the UK, which appeals to this demographic, they are hardly likely to complain about it, especially if it is the only place they know of where they can aquire said nosh.

2) The reality of the situation is that we are in the midst of some pretty dire economic circumstances here in Britain just now. If these potentially dangerous meats are being provided at decent rates per kilo, then I can well understand another element of the problem being that no one wants to cut off a source of cheap meat, and pay the ridiculous prices that some places will charge for a joint of lamb, or a good cut of beef.

3) Though the practice of selling unusual, and potentially hazardous meats to people for thier consumption may be something very much worthy of investigation, most people will not complain about something that they are not being effected by, certainly when it comes to food. For a start, it is not every person in the general public, who could tell a cut of meat from a cow, from one from another similarly sized animal, like a large deer for instance. One must therefore assume that with the case of the rat meat, that it must be quite difficult for a layperson to see it as being all that different to rabbit meat, or anything else, depending on the way it has been cut and presented. And, unless a family member, friend, or the complainant themselves has had a bad time with such meats, then it is highly unlikely they will speak a word of thier concerns, not wanting to get possibly innocent people into bother with an uncaring and hateful government, which destroys lives just as much as it protects them, while offering no apology.

4) On the subject of "smokies" as they are called, there is another point to be made. Now, I have never had any meat that was cooked with a blow lamp. But I have heard all sorts of things about the practice. Two in particular stand out in my mind. First of all, it sounds a bloody horrible way to cook something, and the slaughtering process which is often used on animals headed for that fate, is nothing short of pure barbarism, not carried out in a way which is conducive to the well being of the animal until its death at all. The other thing I have heard is that meat cooked in this way is quite tasty. There are gluttons out there who wouldnt give a god damn how the animal dies, as long as the meat is delicious.

All of these things together, mean that spot checks on a regular but random basis is really the only way any progress will ever be made on matters such as these.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Rat is good. Rat is yummy even. Where I live we eat guinea pig. Well I don't, but 'they' do.
Rat? Why not? Get over yourselves.

And if the meat is 'bad'? Why? Because it's unclean? Cause refrigeration is not needed for meat to the extent people may think.

And then there's 'hung' meat. Like goose - that you don't even think of eating until it's aged.

Now let's talk PRIME meat. I mean bovine. Aged? AGED bovine is something you can't even understand if you've never had it...but guess what? It's green on the outside before preparing. Yes, a greeny-blue.

Beyond that? You might as well try a couple a those rats and get to liking them - before you're forced into liking them because the economy goes completely belly up. Who knows someday you might ask the Missus - 'Want me to bring home a 'stick' or two on my way back from the unemployment line deary?'

peace

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by VoidHawk
Well it doesnt surprise me one bit.
Quite a few tv shows have been promoting the idea that rotten fish is actualy ok provided you cook it properly.

With corporations running our countries NOTHING that could turn a profit will be wasted, whether its rotten stinking fish or the rats that infest the slaughter houses.

there are some areas where fish is fermented in a box or cloth in the ground for up to three years sometimes and subsequently consumed with no cooking whatever.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 11:59 AM
link   
as long as they tell what type of meat it is i dont see the problem. now the smokies meat they are also talking about might be a different story

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Expat888
in some places rat is considered a delicacy ... not bad either when cooked proper ...

That's okay if you can find a govt inspector to okay it as fit for consumption. Why should a farm-raised steer need govt inspection when wild rats need it not?

This is a case of bush meat culture coming to the Isles along with the immigrants. Watch out, when they run out of rats to kill, your pets may be next!

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by jeantherapy

Originally posted by VoidHawk
Well it doesnt surprise me one bit.
Quite a few tv shows have been promoting the idea that rotten fish is actualy ok provided you cook it properly.

With corporations running our countries NOTHING that could turn a profit will be wasted, whether its rotten stinking fish or the rats that infest the slaughter houses.

there are some areas where fish is fermented in a box or cloth in the ground for up to three years sometimes and subsequently consumed with no cooking whatever.

Brits have such a variety of ways of serving herring.

If I had known about 'bloaters' when I visited the UK, I would have tried some.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 12:28 PM
link   
People want to eat it let them.

No ones business what they eat as long as they are not selling it as something else.

edit on 18-9-2012 by popcornmafia because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by CaptainBeno

Yummy!! I'd eat that!!

Immediately made me think of...

sautéed raccoons' assholes on a stick, dipped in butter

Anybody for 10 points?

Peace
edit on 18-9-2012 by operation mindcrime because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by operation mindcrime
reply to post by CaptainBeno

Yummy!! I'd eat that!!

Immediately made me think of...

sautéed raccoons' assholes on a stick, dipped in butter

Anybody for 10 points?

Peace
edit on 18-9-2012 by operation mindcrime because: (no reason given)

George Carlin

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by charles1952
From the source:

Confronted with BBC London's evidence, Islam Halal Meat; Punjab Halal Meat and Fish and Dalston Butchers denied they were selling illegal meat.

The manager of Great Expectations, a food store which sold two Ghanaian rats to the undercover BBC researcher, said: "I don't sell rats, I never sell rats, I don't sell rats.

"I don't have any rats, why you come to video me?"

The manager of Adom Trading, another shop that sold bush meat described as a Ghanaian "grass cutter" rat, also denied selling it.

"What you are saying is a lie, a 100% lie, I don't sell rats.
Somehow I didn't think it was from McDonalds.

Sure it is!! Ever heard of the mcrib?

NoM NoM NoM

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join