It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Arctic summer ice to dissapear within 4 years!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 06:48 PM
link   
I don't know too much about these issues, but this looks scary!

One of the world’s leading ice experts has predicted the final collapse of Arctic sea ice in summer months within four years. Read more: www.smh.com.au...

He goes on to say

Wadhams says the implications are ‘‘terrible’’.

But doesn't go into what the implications are? Can anyone share their expertise?

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 06:53 PM
link   
It's certainly not good, if true.. the currents have a big hand in seasons .. and seasons have a big hand in agriculture, and agriculture has a big hand in human existence..

I'm on the fence.. I think the deniers and the believers are both equally correct.. in other words.. I think earth is naturally heating .. our core will lose heat over time.. the planet is DESTINED to cool over time .. but I think we're not helping to slow that process..

One thing is for sure.. we're only temporary inhabitants of this planet.. there's absolutely nothing we can do to make this a permanent home.. long after us, but if humanity is to live.. we need to brighten up and leave the planet.

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 06:56 PM
link   
I realize I have to elaborate .. I contradicted myself .. it seems..

But we will heat before we cool .. it's going to be a dramatic effect.. we will heat due to greenhouse gasses, loss of polar ice will cause dramatic weather changes.. and then eventually we'll see more moon like conditions when the atmosphere is destroyed.. but that's LONG ways away.. we are close to the sun.. it's good for us now.. but it won't be when we lose the protections we have in place... When I say moon like.. I mean dramatic heat .. and dramatic cold..
edit on 9/17/2012 by miniatus because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by miniatus
but if humanity is to live.. we need to brighten up and leave the planet.

I'm pretty sure the government has some kind of emergency protocol, where they would be taken to the space station. However a more permanent solution is needed for the billions on the planet. Dont have enough ships to get them off fast enough. Curiosity is on Mars for a reason. If all the planets are heating up, when this one gets to hot, we simply bounce over to the next warm planet. If the planets start cooling, well we bounce inward

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 07:00 PM
link   
If the climate changes enough to melt all the summer sea ice away, I fear that the thawing of the Northern Canadian tundra will not be too far behind, the potential for all the methane to be released in a huge amount, too me becomes an even larger issue. One I fear we do not have any sort of contingency plan for... Four years not too long to wait and see I guess, unfortunante, but we have all seen the writing on the wall for some time. Oh mankind what have we done......

SaneThinking

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by RABiam

but if humanity is to live.. we need to brighten up and leave the planet.

I'm pretty sure the government has some kind of emergency protocol, where they would be taken to the space station. However a more permanent solution is needed for the billions on the planet. Dont have enough ships to get them off fast enough. Curiosity is on Mars for a reason. If all the planets are heating up, when this one gets to hot, we simply bounce over to the next warm planet. If the planets start cooling, well we bounce inward

Taking them to the space station would let them live for a limited out of time at best.. without constant supplies from earth that is just a fancy tomb.

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 07:04 PM
link   
It is rather funny how each year the models or means of study are always updated to be worse than previously expected.. Ive been watching this unfold now for quite some time now.. and it really keeps me laughing.. Think this last year was bad in terms of weird weather? try to enjoy next year

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Taking them to the space station would let them live for a limited out of time at best.. without constant supplies from earth that is just a fancy tomb.

No doubt. I don't think the world leaders would head to the space stationed unless supplies from earth are almost completely diminished if not completely gone. A permanent solution, id figure is somewhere in the works, maybe not for billions on the planet but maybe 500,000 as per the guidestones of GA

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 07:28 PM
link   
I may be wrong here, but from my understanding, if the ice all melts and we get a lot of fresh water mixing with the salt water, it actually lowers the temperature of the ocean and could in fact lead to a new snap ice age.

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by RABiam

No doubt. I don't think the world leaders would head to the space stationed unless supplies from earth are almost completely diminished if not completely gone. A permanent solution, id figure is somewhere in the works, maybe not for billions on the planet but maybe 500,000 as per the guidestones of GA

I just think that's not the case... I think that is fantasy..

We want to think that.. but ultimately I think they are just as doomed as we are in that case... sure they MIGHT try launching to the space station, but that's a sad death... I think it's more likely .. in that sort of gloom/doom story.. that they would be deep underground with rooms full of preserved foods ..

We are lovers of conspiracy theory .. and wishful thinking is the seed of that.. we want to believe something more exists.. even if it's the powers that be that control it hiding it from us ... we just want to believe it ... but that's not likely

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaesDaemar
I may be wrong here, but from my understanding, if the ice all melts and we get a lot of fresh water mixing with the salt water, it actually lowers the temperature of the ocean and could in fact lead to a new snap ice age.

Bingo .. the heat before the freeze... as I poorly eluded to..

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 08:28 PM
link   
I don't doubt there's some uber paranoid rich people out there with luxurious bunkers.. but if the worst happens? they will die too .. it will just be a little longer.. and probably more drawn out and worse in the long run

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 08:54 PM
link   

We are lovers of conspiracy theory .. and wishful thinking is the seed of that.. we want to believe something more exists.. even if it's the powers that be that control it hiding it from us ... we just want to believe it ... but that's not likely

The government has contingency plans for almost everything, no matter how crappy, expensive or even likely the scenario. They have contingency plans for contingency plans. You may call it fantasy, but i would consider it somewhat intelligent to be looking for solutions outside of earth. If Earth becomes totally ruined, and we lack an escape plan off, mankind dies. We have to look, even if it is fantasy for now

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 01:09 PM
link   
it's not going to go well. i don't know what will happen exactly but it's not going to be fun. the climate scientists warned us years ago and here we are going downhill fast. the sad thing is the climate change deniers have won over the media so it's hardly talked about anymore. the big corporations would have to lose a boatload of money to make the changes necessary... which they won't do.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 04:25 PM
link   
The thought of spending my final years trying to survive an ice age is a no go in my book, so I'm out of here if that happens!

As for going off to some other planet - is that really feasible with out current technology? So many 'ifs and buts' - we think we've sussed what will happen then another factor comes into the equation.

Watch this space!

new topics

top topics

join