It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Art Of Paul Smith

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Paul Smith, the man with extraordinary talent was born in Philadelphia on September 21, 1921 with a condition which impeded his speech & mobility. "When typing, Paul used his left hand to steady his right one. Since he couldn't press two keys at the same time, he almost always locked the shift key down and made his pictures using the symbols at the top of the number keys. In other words, his pictures were based on these characters ... @ # $ % ^ & * ( ) _ . Across seven decades, Paul created hundreds of pictures. He often gave the originals away. Sometimes, but not always, he kept or received a copy for his own records. As his mastery of the typewriter grew, he developed techniques to create shadings, colors, and textures that made his work resemble pencil or charcoal drawings." This great man left behind a collection of his amazing artwork that will be an inspiration for many.

www.livingeachday.com...

In short, it's highly possible that this guy was the first ASCII artist even before there was ASCII.

What I don't understand is how he got color in some of those pictures he did because typewriters, at least as far as I know, didn't have that kind of color ribbons. So I don't know.

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by EvilSadamClone

Pretty awesome talent!

Back in the day, I fondly remember fiddling with my mum's typewriter, it came with dual colour ribbons which was not unusual.
The ribbon was either half black/half red and you could hold down a key to shift the ribbon height to produce the red colour. I also remember her halving a half black/half blue one as well. I don't remember a green one though but I guess they must have been about too.

Pretty cool though, hats off to the guy!

edit:
like this!

edit on 17-9-2012 by Qumulys because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Great artwork........Thanks for the thread.................cheers

new topics

join