It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is medical science built on shaky foundations?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Are you sure this is not a method Transfer error?

Working in a pharmaceutical lab, i help out with the Method Transfer team, who get patents for drugs and they try to convert it our companies specifics, and often the results fail until they find the right ratio for stability.

Millions of dollars goes into this process, from obtaining the patents to converting to the companies policies.

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by luciddream

I assure you, it is not I who created the title, but the article author. And he is pumping for an initiative of his design to address the assertion (which I find most alarming) The majority of reported biomedical research cannot be replicated!

For some this issue seems to be about fidelity to the scientific method as we are taught to understand it. Not so for others who appear to recognize the "use" to which authoritative sounding words like "university research" and "research data indicates."

The truth is the expedient results are those clung to, marketing takes care of the rest. When the pharmaceutical companies of decades past realized that their 'carte blanche' to charge whatever they want for their products might come under some form of regulation, their solution was to buy up all the hospitals they could... and slowly starve the smaller ones left behind.

Prescription drugs began to be nationally advertised on commercial television, and suddenly, doctors were featured in lengthy TV shows.. sometimes their own shows.

Perhaps we are blinded by the glitz of the media presentations.... and exploiting "bad" science is by no means limited to medicine... but few industries benefit quite so much from it as they. even the doctor's are subject to being "sold" on research they take for granted as "good."

The dissenters are amusing, but I am afraid they are the voices many seem to want to hear. No one like the idea that disparate research (poorly executed to begin with) can be conglomerated and used to make a point which is far from sound... and then featured on numerous media outlets as "news."

edit on 20-9-2012 by Maxmars because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by luciddream
Are you sure this is not a method Transfer error?
I'm no expert but I think method transfer is one of the last steps in drug manufacturing, which involves developing specific drug making methods in one facility to be used at all manufacturing facilities. You probably know more about this than me.

The research discussed in the OP is apparently before any trials even start, so it's not even close.

<< 1   >>

join