It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

would you say that, now we are more closer to ww3 than during "Cold war"? JUST A QUESTION, no info

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 03:03 PM
link   
So With all that is going on and taking place around the world with protest, riots, rumors of wars, passive-agressive doings of countries to each other and economy is dipping. Prices going up and jobs going down.

All in all, things are # right now. Really #ty acctully.

I was born 1987 and while I have READ much about it, and seen several documentries on the subject of the cold war, I was never around to acctully be part of the feeling and what people thought would happened then. I know that ww3 was like a push of a button away at sometime.

But what about now? Would you say that we are now living in a time where ww3 is more realistic to take place than it was during the cold war?
edit on 17-9-2012 by Nettlas because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Nettlas

This is indeed a very volatile time. The next few weeks and months are going to be a nail biting experience with everything thats going on right now

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Nettlas

When you put everything into perspective you start to see that something is really wrong. The way people are going about things, the paranioa coming from Israel which looks as though it will not be going away until they get there way. I don't think it is a matter of if anymore, more a question of when.

The next few months are going to be interesting and I don't care what anyone else says, I find it interesting that what is going on is running parralel with 21/12/2012... Maybe the date is significant for a man made disaster in the Middle East or something.

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   
I was born in 1952. We had duck and cover drills in grade school. The worry was always there for years. I was very young when the Cuban Missile Crisis happened and I was scared spitless. I have to say though, that I think it is much worse now. The world is "more" insane than it has ever been.

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Are we closer to WW3?
Most assuredly!

I'm pretty sure that the closest we were previously was during the Cuban Missle Crisis.

I think the difference is that during the cold war we knew who the enemy was and everyone had a pretty healthy fear of what would happen if a real US/USSR war broke out. I don't think anyone wanted a war, as we knew that would be the end of the planet.

Now it seems like we have embraced war. We have been conditioned for the last 11 years to desire revenge on terrorists or nations that support them. Lies and disinformation have created a fog in the minds of many that now believe that war is necessary, and after all we could just wipe out the whole middle east with our mighty armed forces.

I think there are people that are fearful because they see what is really going on, and the potential for a global war. Unfortunately I know way more people that don't pay attention or don't care as long as they get their Starbucks everday they are happy. Attitudes have sure changed in the last 20 years.

Man, I never thought I'd miss the fear of the Cold War era.

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 04:01 PM
link   
I lived through the blockade period.
Comparitevly, we are not even close.
There were nights we went to be not knowing if we would ever wake up.
Times are tense but this was 2 nuclear powers going toe to toe.
I cannot comprehend letting Iran have atomic weapons and going through that again.

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Born in 1973, remember the late cold war, Reagan, Star Wars, "the day after" "red dawn", a brief return to "duck and cover" in 83, disguised as extra tornado drills.

I would say we are closer to a conventional WWIII, and maybe a limited or regional use of nuclear weapons. I don't think we are closer to an all out exchange like we were.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 01:50 AM
link   
I think yes.

Someone linked to a film about the process it would take to get to nuclear war, and the main focus was unsuprisingly culminated in an invasion of Iran and a naval battle in the Strait of Hormuz, which was the touchpaper that started it.

Also, the BBC Docu-drama 'Threads' (Which I honestly think is the most horrific film I've ever seen) also had the cause of WWIII's nuclear armageddon being Russia and the US fighting over Iran, from using two tactical warheads to a full exchange.

The resource rich middle east has always been where the last big war will be fought, because when everything starts drying up thats the only place we are going to keep our precious cars and industry going from.

One of the sad truths is, while in the cold war the principle of MAD between two superpowers kept everything in a balance, with the self-destruction of the USSR the US has pretty much been granted posistion as the only superpower (arguably), and as such has been carrying out reckless actions that they would never have tried during the cold war.

The fear is, these reckless actions have made the idea of using a small scale nuclear weapon more 'feasible' in military strategy, small tactical weapons and those new bunker busters make the idea more and more attractive for dealing with a hardended base.

join