It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The perfect bug-out bag for those of us VERY confined on money

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Chlorine or iodine tablets? If boiling water isn't possible....ya gotta have it. You could drink dirty water but not bacteria infested water...

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by XxNightAngelusxX

I would also add a few water purification straws. They can be purchased for around $10, the better quality, military grade run about $20. I know that is not exactly cheap when one is on a tight budget, but water is THE MOST important part of your kit and straw is a lot less weight to carry than several gallons of water.

Another important item if you can swing it is antibiotics. While most are unavailable without prescription, penicillin and tetracycline can be purchased at farm supply stores. They are packaged in bulk for large animal care but if you do a little research you can learn the proper dosages for humans.If you have access to the Mexican border I believe that they are also still readily available there either over the counter, or you can get a scrip from one of the local docs on the cheap. All of your preparations mean nothing if you get a bad infection and can't treat it.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 09:53 PM
link   
cheap MOLLE packs

You can't beat cheaperthandirt.com when it comes to gear. Sure you can buy a backpack at Walmart for $30 but for $12 more with S&H you can have a great and durable MOLLE 3 day assault pack. It will be way more comfortable and outlast the cheap packs.

CTD.com is a great source for various survival and first aid needs as well. Good quality gear at a great price, check out their first aid kits as well.

Good thread though I wouldn't concentrate so much on carrying a large amount of water unless you are in a desert or arid environment. With a steel canteen and fire you can have plenty of drinkable water. Even a 30lb pack gets heavy after 30 miles of humping it through not-so-friendly terrain.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Another thing I remembered, that I still have in my first aid kit... Packets of yellow mustard. It's for burns, something I learned out of necessity when I worked at a burger joint. If you burn yourself, dab on some yellow mustard, works about as well as burn cream, but at a fraction of the price. So grab a handful of mustard packets next time you hit up Burger King or wherever, and throw them in your first aid kit.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by RedParrotHead

Sleep is important, so 5-Hour energies aren't exactly a priority. If you hold being awake more important than being asleep, then you'll be caught napping when it's least convenient. With that said, everyone might want to try carrying a box of pepper to spray/sprinkle around your area at night...anything that comes sniffing through for grub will, at the very least, alert you of its presence long before it's near enough to do any harm.

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 03:26 AM
link   
The first thing that is missing in your bug out bag is clothing. Keep in mind, that clothing is your first form of shelter agiant your environment. If it is winter time and you only have a t-shirt and shorts in your bag, that's bad news. Same thing if its summer and you got a wool shirt, pants and thermal undies packed. Clothing for a 72 hour bag should be packed for the season, and evaluated and changed regularly. Also, don't forget plenty of socks (at least 2 extra pair, and in winter they should be wool).
The "survival saw" you talked about is flimsy and not good for any actual cutting tasks. Yes, it will work if you have all day to sit around cutting wood. It IS, however, useful for making snares, but the cost of the saw vs the cost of snare wire is debatable as far as wich is the better deal. In a survival situation, you will have many needs to take care of throughout the day. A better alternative would be a folding saw, or you can buy a survival chain saw, basically a chainsaw blade that has straps that fit around your wrist. This gives the added advantage of you hands/fingers not tiring out from using said saws.
You also did not include a cover in your bag. My best recommendation would be a survival tarp with a reflective surface. If you have a fire and a little know how this can keep you warm in the coldest of climates.
Cordage. Be it paracord, tarred bank line, you need something to bind things together with, make repairs to clothing/cover, make fishing line or trot line, ect, ect ect. To many uses for cordage.
The last critique would be fire starting methods. Cig lighters are great, you got that dead on. However, they do not work if they get wet. You need more than one fire starting method. I love the waterproof match posts, I make them with wax, as previously described in an earlier post. Fero rods work wet or dry, and provide sparks hot enough to ingnite even wet tender with a little prep and effort. Also, credit card sized Fresnel lenses can ignite dry tender, and save precious resources like lighters, matched and fero rods. Flint and steel is also good, but you usually need something like char cloth to get an ember. To me fire is #1. You can do so many things with fire from purifying water, keeping your core temperature up and scaring away predators. In my opinion, if your serious about survival you MUST know how to make fire, from rubbing sticks together to lighting a match, and you must practice these skills untill you are an expert.
As far as medical, you got the basics pretty well covered. I would only add that superglue is good for deeper cuts that make require stitches, and that an 8 dollar bottle of one a day vitamins will serve you way better than 5 dollars worth of energy shots.
As far as gathering food, well, the number one is the sling shot. Get a Daisey at walmart for 10 bucks. Then get 3 extra bands at 2 bucks a piece, and a pack of either sling shot ammo or marbles. If you master this tool, you will not go hungry.For fishing, a 5inch piece of pvc with line wrapped around it, and some hooks, sinkers and lures stuffed into the pipe will work wonders. It takes a little practice to learn how to use it, but if you've ever been out fished by a guy with a tin can you know its effective. If you haven't well, you will be one day (lol).
SO: HERE is my bug out bag, with prices for those who want to know:
Large ALICE pack with frame, 30 bucks at the surplus store.
1 survival tarp/blanket - 20
20 feet para cord, cut off a hundred foot roll - 3
Tared bank line, 1,649 linear feet with a 106 lb. breaking strength - 18
Swiss army fero rod - 12
Tin filled with cotton balls soaked with pet. jelly - 1
Daisy slingshot, extra bands and ammo - 20
3 heavy duty trash can liners - idk lest say .10
Steel U.S.G.I canteen with cup - 5 bucks at surplus
Compass - 25 (don't cheap out on this one)
2 #100 body grip traps - 30
Duct tap - 5
Fresnell lense - 1 buck online
med kit - 40 bucks
Food - 40 bucks
Great thread! Lots of great ideas. Im not saying everything I say is right, just giving a critique based my my philosophies and experience. Just remember, the best bug out tool is your mind and what its got stored in it.
-Matt T, afewgoodwomens fiance!.

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 09:21 AM
link   
If you are a woman and others in your group that are "on-board" are women except for 1, what is the best cheap weapon? We have bows & are getting pretty good with them. We are going to buy a few crossbows here soon, so we can practice with those as well. I know we need at least one gun & I want to make sure we get the right one. I figured if most of us in the group ( would like all) can use a bow, we can stay under the radar when hunting food if we need to. We could also protect ourselves with the bows. I figure if SHTF we would want to draw as little attention to ourselves as possible. So, either hunting for meat with a bow or fishing would be a good way to do that.

I love all the ideas and bought my bag at an Army Navy store. I think I paid $30 for it. It has a big compartment with a little one hanging inside (it's not little, I have 5 days worth of MRE's inside it.) on the outside it has 3 smaller storage compartments. I made water poof matches, cotton balls with p.jelly, I also made wands for my grandson's bday party and kept the shaving as dry timber, I have a bag of lint with some candle wax. I got a lot of my gear for Christmas. I also have a Coleman water pouch backpack (I think called a camel back??), with things I might need to get out a lot. I plan to piggyback my packs.

Gum, Gum, Gum, it is small and cheap. I don't see it listed to often and if you have to walk a couple of miles without water, gum could make a difference.

Another tip I didn't see is to buy a food saver and make your own MRE's. They don't last as long as a bought MRE so use the food and replace items. Like bags of precooked chicken, tuna, beef, Ramen noodles, drink mixes. Just check your dates. I have made them and write exp dates on the front and I just remember the date the first item is to go bad. I even made my grand-kids some. I found flavored water pouches and stuck them in with other favs of theirs. I stuck small candy and suckers in them too.It all compacts really well. We just need to figure out a way to get bread or crackers in the packs. Have been thinking about buying some of the bread/crackers from a site that sells the MRE's. The real MRE's are around $100, you don't get that many either. I just hope we never have to use out BOB's

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

The mustard thing works really well. I burnt a 1/3 of my stomach and my mom comes running in and sees it, runs to the fridge and gets the mustard. I said no way! Then I let her because she is normally right with those old things. the smell was strong because of the area being so big. The burn left as fast as she put the mustard on. After a bit the smell was making me sick so I cleaned it off. It didn't hurt anymore, I still blistered. I don't know if it is to keep you from blistering or not but it sure takes the pain away. I love this thread and wish I could flag it. I have no idea why that little blue flag it is not on my page. Is it like starting a thread and you can't flag things until you have 20 post?

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Great thread! Lots of good information here.

I can only think of one thing to add at the moment... I keep the lint from my clothes' dryer in my bag. I figure it's free and makes great kindling!

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 01:10 AM
link   
I agree with your scenario. But I disagree on some level. See when you bug out you want to bug out in style. High fashion on the road is important. So unless you have like a Northface, or Heli Hanson backpack and the top of the line gear then you'll basically be a nobody amoungst the bugout bugs! And how do you expect to get a date when you don't have top of the line lobster n steak MRE's and a flast of the finest aged whiskey. Like if you're gonna do this, you got to do it right. That way you won't feel down and out. You'll feel like almost a king of the bugout bugs. And essencially you'll be going out in style.

See this is essecially how you want to go bug out....

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 05:37 PM
link   
One cheap way to get those little necessities that you may need is to check out the freebie websites. They will send you everything from food items to over the counter medications. Most of them are completely free, you can find excellent coupons as well.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 01:00 AM
link   
some good ideas ,but the beef jerky wont last more than a few months,then it starts to go bad,as will the traile mix, they are made to sell ,not last. most all grocery food has no perservatives in it (thanks to bill clinton) for food that will last MRE's or the canned or freeze dried survivals food,make sure it has REAL meat in it not just soy subsitute. not cheap but it will feed you when you need it too.i agree making fire is most important ,but it can easily give away your position to the bad guys too. there are 2 striker type firestarters on the market both work good and can be used one handed will last for thousands of fires.magnesium fire starters are great but will wear out, save them for when tinder and such is all wet..wire saw work good when new but just dont last long,a folding saw is needed, i like my Gerber, has a wood blade and a bone blade..for snares the auto parts stores sell a small roll of SS wire, reusable but you will need a pair of needlenose pliers for the SS, if you have strong fingers and hands might get by with carbon steel bailing wire..if with a group carry a bow saw with extra blades and bolts to run through holes , you can make a frame from a flexible stick and use saw blade to cut grooves, bend stick and insert blade into grooves and you have made a field made bow saw.In the winter. NO COTTON clothing of anykind!!!!!!!!!! cotton just absorbs mosture and you turn into a frozen human popsicle.wool or synthetic in the cold.Yes i know burlap underwear sucks bigtime but hey it will keep you awake!!!!!! If you cant afford or find a good backpack ,gym bags and such are also are avalible at thrift stores, they should last long enough to get you to your BOL.Some womans purses are made from canvas and have strong straps , i use the smaller ones with zippers for tool bags and storing tow straps in the truck..smaller people (kids) need smaller bags to carry. add a used boy scout handbook, all good info their.put together a small sewing kit with extra buttons..use nylon thread , cotton is weak ,waxed dental floss has a lot of uses.all rope and boot laces should be nylon, nothing stronger and long lasting too.cheap polypropylene rope is too slick, the knots come undone too easily and its too stiff also, nylon is very flexible and the knots stay tied untill you undo them.stay away from mexican pills, mail order ones are fake,some canadian pharmacy 's are fake they are really in mexico too. i get antbiotics from pet supply shop here in USA,fish meds, mail order,same stuff made for humans.if you have normal vision ,you will need magnifing lens or glasses to thread needle and cut out splinters and stitch up deep cuts.,if a near sighted person is in your group make them medic, they can just remove their glasses instead..P38 can opener, you might not need it to open your cans because you didnt bring any ,but you might run across some and need the can opener.Old hickory kitchen or butcher knife 4-6 inches blade ,these knifes have been tested on some knife sites under hard use testing ,and have come out intact and in good shape after being beat up very hard.,cheap to buy and easy to find only problem with these knifes is none have a hand guard to keep your fingers from slipping over on to blade during a stabing or thrusting move, so just dull the first inch of the blade in front of your fingers,,get a tough sheath to go with it,you dont want a cheap sheath , a very sharp knife could cut through sheath if you fall and then cut into you deeply A Crystal radio reciever can be made small and light, with ear piece and no batteries needed.one camo hankerchief use as face mask and as water filter
edit on 24-9-2012 by madokie because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by samara11278

I keep dryer lint too. I pack it into empty egg cartons and melt down wax scraps to pour over the lint. When it hardens, you have a perfect firestarter. They work well enough to start a quarter round on fire (dry and in the woodstove) . Just make sure you put newspapers under the cartons because the wax seeps through.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 01:23 PM
link   
nice thread.
one thing i'd like to point out, i don't carry a tent or tarp.
i keep one of these close.
gore-tex bivy bag.
link to pic
they can be used without a sleeping bag if hot out, or with for an extra layer, keeping dew off you, or
keeping you dry through storms.
i highly recommend.
someone mentioned cheaper than dirt.
i find mainemilitary.com even better.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Everyone could use a good bug out bag, not just us conspiracy theorists.
Everyone is susceptible to some type of natural disaster where they live that may even temporarily drive them from their homes. I have been assembling mine and changing things out over time. The most vital to each individual will depend on the ultimate destination and means of transport to that destination. Keep in mind your physical abilities as well, I could and did carry a 100 pound pack long distances, and lived out of it for more than a year. After 10 years of comfy living and 2 kids, I'm not sure I could do that any more, I haven't tested myself either. Cover your basics and you should be alright.
I won't list the entire contents, I focused on water, food, warmth,1st aid, tools,sanitation and some basic comforts (happy kids mean a few more minutes to collect your own thoughts).
1. Water: small pot to boil, water purification tabs, and something to carry the purified water in, ie waterbottles, baggies, whatever will do the trick and is CLEAN
2. Food: for me it is essential that I carry pre-packaged snack crackers and trail mixes, I can hunt and forage and walk hungry, but I know little ones won't. I also have some mountain house meals that I found on sale and don't have to be rotated as much, if ever. I also carry plant ID books and other methods of gathering food.
3. Warmth:Fire capabilities (lighters, matches, firestarters and strikers) Extra dry socks, space blankets, ponchos, hats and gloves, as well as wool blankets and a tarp. I have the added bonus of easily accessible well stocked pre packed camping gear.
4. Tools: A good knife, small handsaw & shovel are vital, as well as a small sharpening stone, and don't forget a can opener if you pack cans, it's not a bad idea anyway.
5. Basic first aid speaks for itself, but make sure you have anything that your family uses regularly. I am sure most people don't need baby tylenol, but I don't dare leave home without it.
6. Sanitation: TP, hand sanitizer , etc. It is nice to smell good, but I don't want to get sick of E. Coli.
Keep it cheap, go to thrift stores and garage sales for tools and other supplies. Check the freebie sites, you would be amazed what you can get in small sizes for free, but be diligent they change constantly. My honey chuckles at me when a wave comes in, it rats me out that I spent most of the day on the computer.
Shop sales and use coupons for the things you need to buy. First, look around your own house though. Get creative, how many things can serve a dual purpose? Keep them somewhere specific if you are unable to pack it due to regular use, then if the time comes to evacuate then it will only take a matter of minutes to add it to your bag.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 07:45 PM
link   
NVM
edit on 24-9-2012 by Gridrebel because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 08:37 AM
link   
reply to post by kaidec

you might try either the ruger mini-14 or colt car-15 in .223 lightweight.. low recoil can use for hunting or defense..
personally Ive neither need nor use for firaarms .. though do hava some familiarity with them... others here could probably recommend more up to date firearms for what you need..

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by XxNightAngelusxX

I thought of this after having recently acquired some at a local food pantry: Tea Tree Soap. Here's a link that explains the benefits of natural tea tree oil, the main ingredient in the aforementioned soap:

Tea Tree Oil
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 12:36 AM
link   
The cheapest bug out bag I can create is almost free.
Its all come from hotel consumables, McD and a few things you have to buy.
Its a down to earth but got all the stuff I think I will need.
I'm not an expert on the subject but as a challenge to myself and everyone heres my take. It is a challenge for you guys to value, materialise, size and weigh it cause size varies

Survival education is strictly suggested
The Hotel Room Amenities Way
Poorman Firestarter and Waterfinaliser

Glass Bottle - dry items, magnifying glass
Empty beer can/small stell canister - cook water, storing dry items
Soap - clean up of course
Matchstick dip in wax (treated as mentioned in other post)
cotton buds - firestarting
Swizzle stick - first aid/fire fuel
Pages from phonebooks/phamplet/brochure/scratchpad - firestarter and fuel
Polyethylene disposable gloves plastic -
Cigarettes lighter
A few drinking straw + cigarette butt - water filtration
sanitary bag/grocery plastic bag - pack them all into this.
sewing kit
Big black garbage bag - still unused of course - enviroment shield (poncho/bodywarmer)
Hot Beverage Condiment Kit - need to drink coffee too
Dental floss - fishing anyone ?
toothpicks - who cares, its almost weightless, just carry it
paperclips - fishing hooks
A stick of candle - fire starting & keeping
Chlorine/bleach - pour out the conditioner, fill the small bottle with these
Hotel symphoo bottle - washing stuff
Few sticks of cigarettes/a pack - water filtration, fire starting
Clothes of course.

When at McD, grab the condiments packs, the fishes need some seasoning too, dont you think ? There actually so many free items, what important is the how to. Bear Grylls and Dual Survival help a lot.

As you can see, all these items are available when you check in into hotel. Sure it crappy but see the title. Just meet with the housekeeping staff and you'll get this for free and plenty.

Scenario used to create this pack - I was washed away by a flashflood (and its still raining) during my stay in a hotel resort. Pretty imaginative eh ?

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Many things have been covered, however I can add a few extras.

Condoms- They are small and you can carry a large amount of water in them. (Place inside a shirt or jacket to add extra strength when carrying)

Charcloth- You can make this from denim jeans. Place squares of the fabric, a few inches square or so, into a coffee tin, put a hole in the top and place in a campfire. Remove when it stops smoking, DO NOT OPEN TILL COOL, it may spontaneously combust. This is fantastic for tinder and will burn better than cotton. Keep dry.

Encrypted usb drive with copies of essential documents- You don't know where you will be or what you will be doing when tshtf, you may have to end up proving who you are. You can also carry other items on the drive including contact details of people and such.

Ebook reader- Cheap as, charges from a 5$ solar panel, lasts months without charge, can be filled with maps, books.. information of every type. You can also keep documents on here, however most do not support encryption. Tablet PC's do, although they will be flat in a few days.

Multitool- Nuff said. Priceless and cheapish on ebay

Mess kit- Just store your mini kit inside one.

Sugar- Keeps you going. Other sachets can be of use as well.

Toilet paper- Yeah. Don't forget it.

Metal ruler/Slim jim- For breaking into cars/buildings in an emergency

Drain hatch openers- Get underground.

Dosimeter- Quartz filament dosimeter from ebay. Measures cumulative radiation exposure

The number one thing I have to say is to read. Learn. At random points, I query myself as to what I would do at that very moment if TSHTF in various ways. Can you make a smoke bomb to cover your escape? Do you know how to make an electric fuse? How much bleach can you use in water to purify it, and still leave the water safe to consume.

Best thing you have is your brain.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join