It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The perfect bug-out bag for those of us VERY confined on money

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 02:57 PM
link   
So, let's say you're a normal conspiracy theorist who's just getting by, living paycheck to paycheck, and can't afford to stock up with every pay check.

The first thing I recommend to those of us who can't afford to buy bulk time after time, is to buy the things you believe you need one at a time--meaning, set a list, and whatever is most important, put on the top of the list, and work on buying it first. For example--if water is first on the list, you buy a case of bottled water every time you get a little money until you have enough to keep stored away for yourself (or just enough for your bug out bags, in case you don't plan on camping out in your apartment or trailer). Buy your needs in baby steps.

But, I won't go into the bug-in scenario. Here's the general list of a cheap bug-out bag, which you can build over time, buying one or two essential things at a time until you have everything you need.

Backpacks can be bought for very cheap at goodwill and thrift stores.

You should carry one large bag, or two smaller ones.

1st bag -- tools and essentials. Ten big jerky sticks that you can purchase anywhere from 89 cents to 99 cents at certain cheap stores, like the dollar tree. Ten small pouches of trail mix. One large container of water, and if you have room for it, more back up water. At least one sturdy hunting knife. A compass. At least one emergency plastic raincoat, only costs a dollar, and folds into a tiny square the size of a wallet. A finger saw, only costs about three or four dollars, a small metal wire connected to two rings which you put on your fingers, and you can saw through almost any wood, or use for very effective fiber wire. Poker cards, for passing the time when you're on the go. Lots of lighters. Fingerless gloves or ordinary gloves, to keep your hands warm. Football gloves, in case you have to preform any extreme parkour or climb something, football gloves are rubber on the bottom and have excellent grip, and cost around ten dollars. Ah yes, and some kind of portable radio, a HAM radio, or, if you can't get ahold of one, maybe take your phone or ipod, because newer models of certain phones and ipods can pick up radio signals so you can keep up with whatever's going on in the public. A weapon of choice, something you can afford, and you're very good with, and preferably something you can hunt with, and that's great for intimidating.

2nd bag -- Medical and hygiene. Small travel deoderant, only 99 cents at wall mart, and other travel sized things can be bought there for the same price, like hand sanitizer and lotion. A full bottle of excedrin back & body, full bottle of asprin, and full bottle of ace painkillers. Gauze wraps, only about two to four dollars, depending on where you buy them. Box of Gauze pads, box of band-aids, and medical tape. Ear drops, eye drops, and antibiotic cream.

Yes, I realize I may have left out some crucial things, but I'm listing off what most people on a low budget could afford to buy. Of course, those of us on a crappy budget probrably couldn't get all of this at once, but like I said, buy in baby steps--one, two, or three things at a time, until you have as much as you think you need for yourself. Then, once your paycheck spikes and you get that promotion or a better job, you can add to your limited start.

This is just my idea of a good, affordable, last-case-scenario set of bug-out gear. I am in the "can barely afford to eat every week" boat, so I thought I'd post this as a tribute to anyone else who knows the feeling.

To those of you who are in the same boat, please, feel FREE to point out anything I may have left out or overlooked. I am looking for notes, and I am willing to share ideas.

What do YOU think the perfect limited budget bug-out bag should be composed of...?
edit on 17-9-2012 by XxNightAngelusxX because: Nonya dayum business

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by XxNightAngelusxX

Tarp, and some Campdry spray. In addition to your list, of course. But if you're grabbing backpacking gear and all that stuff, make sure it isn't the tourist-model "wears out in two weeks" gear...make sure it's designed for regular and extended use. Ask for assistance to get the best quality. No one wants to be stuck in the woods with useless or broken gear.
edit on 17-9-2012 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 03:16 PM
link   
You can never go wrong with a reel of fishing line and a couple hooks. Works for so much, including fishing.

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Additions:

1) Flint striker
2) Wax saturated cotton for kindling
3) Water-proof matches. Yes, they exist.

Good thread by the way.

edit on 9/17/2012 by this_is_who_we_are because: typo

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 03:23 PM
link   
S&F
Excellent post.
One point though, about deodorant and lotions. If you must have them make sure they are non-scented.
The purpose is to hide, not bring everyone to you because they can smell your deodorant a mile away.

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by RedmoonMWC

Hide? No, the purpose is to survive when money just isn't cutting it. Hiding has nothing to do with it.

Trust me...been there, done that. Both ways.

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 03:45 PM
link   
One thing that might help out the budget minded survivalist in regards to the waterproof matches:

Take an ordinary box of kitchen matches (I buy mine from the dollar store...Two, 300ct boxes in a pack for $1!) and get a cheap bottle of nail polish. Dip the matches in the nail polish and allow to thoroughly dry. Then place as many matches as you can in a used pill bottle! It really works!

What I did was just ask friends and family to save their pill bottles for me. I keep everything in them. I have even asked a couple of pharmacy's for empty un labeled bottles. Sometimes, they allow me to buy them from them. I usually get them anywhere from .25cents to .50 cents a piece depending on size.

Just thought I would pass that along.

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Thanks for the excellent points, guys. Very noted

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by mbernardin

That's actually a pretty awesome idea.

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 05:08 PM
link   
good idea ... though recommend get all the knowledge and hands on practical experience you can on how to survive ... only tools that really need are good fixed blade full tang knife ... fishing line .. fishhooks and a firestarter ... no point lugging around tons of useless rubbish ...
edit on 17/9/12 by Expat888 because: correcting translation...

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by this_is_who_we_are

3) Water-proof matches. Yes, they exist.

You can also make them on the cheap with regular matches, by dipping the match head into melted wax, such as Gulf Wax, so that the wax covers the entire match head up to the stick. For further protection, I put mine in a water-tight medicine bottle with the striking material from the side of the matchbox, though they were strike anywhere matches. Just in case.

I also tested them by dropping some loose matches in a glass of water for a couple of hours and seeing if they would still light. They did, even without being dried off. So it is pretty good method. I would recommend doing that instead of buying manufactured waterproof matches if you're on a tight budget.

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Anyone that forgets to put bug repellent in their bug out bag is asking for a miserable time in the bush.

My bug out bag consists of a shotgun, nine, ammo, space blanket and bug/sunblock lotion.

Apache style....

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Most important thing is liquids,you cant go far without staying hydrated..

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by lycosa

Excellent info! Thanks buddy.

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Here is some basic stuff for cheap.

1. Stainless Steel water bottle to make water safe to drink over fire

2. Fire Starter

3. Tomahawk Great multiool and can not be broken like a knife

4. Leatherman

5. Marlin Papoose with 1000 rounds

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 08:52 AM
link   
My best tip for gathering survival gear on a budget is to go to estate sales and garage sales. I have obtained the most excellent gear this way, for pennies on the dollar.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Also - on the cheap and small - I always assume that if a bug out scenario happens I'll need to be awake/alert for extended periods of time so I pack a couple 5-Hour Energy shots.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Add three feet of rubber surgical tube. It can be used as a tourniquet, syphon, all sorts of things.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Maps in a waterproof pocket.
Its just a thought, and how about joining your local orienteering club, and learning how to read the maps properly. i think this would be useful as they don't teach it in schools anymore.

love and harmony
Whateva

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Pain pills of every type and description because eventually you will need them.

And to fill the second line requirement.....more ammo!!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join