Antidepressants and behaviour change?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 08:42 AM
link   
reply to post by VaterOrlaag

Organic Fluoride is definitely a chemistry utilized by Pharmaceutical companies to create antidepressants. It works by replacing iodine in the thyroid and other parts of the body with fluoride which settles people down. It does lower liver function which reduces our detoxification process. Drink lots of water
It will help to detox you

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by RadioKnecht

That's my experience as well with escitalopram (lexapro). Exactly as you put it.

I'm a really sensitive and empathic individual, to the point that seeing any living being suffering makes my heart ache a lot. This usually sends me into bouts of anxiety and depression that -if not taken care of- can spiral downward quite hard.

I've been prescribed with paxil (paroxetine), which I took for a year, then went off it a year after. My behavioural changes were the most dramatic with this drug, as I felt my sexual drive shoot off the charts, but I also became absolutely self-absorbed, egoistic and very aggressive. I quit Paxil cold turkey and had the worst three weeks of my life, waking up in the middle of the night drenched in sweat, with nasty and very realistic technicolored nightmares and feeling dazed out during the days, with my brain "zapping" every now and then.

A year after quitting paxil I fell into a depression again and this time I was prescribed Prozac (fluoxetine). In my experience this has been the "best" antidepressant I've had. It made me feel great, without the anxiety, the crazed sexual appetite, the bloated ego or the aggressiveness and impatience that I felt with Paxil. It removed all forms of obsessive-compulsiveness and coming out of it was also quite mellow.

Finally, after one year being depression and antidepressant-free, I relapsed and was prescribed Lexapro (escitalopram). For me, it wasn't as strong as paxil or as efficient as prozac. It did the job. I snapped out of my depression and could focus again in living my life without the constant anxiety and irrational fears that sometimes would overcome me. On the con side, as you said, it did make me more impacient and quite aggressive, feelings I usually don't have. it also blocked a significant part of my sensitivity and empathy towards other people, although maybe that was for the better. It kind of made me more indifferent and cold.

Anyways, looking back, I think that dealing with depression is something that shouldn't be so hard and stygmatized as it is. It's an illness. You didn't ask for it. There was probably nothing you could have done to avoid it, very much so as a diabetic was born into his condition . You just have to do your best to deal with it and overcome it.

Thank goodness we live in a time and place where we have medicine that can help us through.

I hope my brief account of hell helps you in something.

Heyyy WE do sound a lot alike

Thanks for sharing!!!!!

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by rigel4
enjoyed reading this thread, i have been taking escitalopram for a long time .. 10 years

I noticed that some of you mention a cold and indifference that has taken them, thats how i feel, cant cry or get emotional.

Also sex drive has almost gone completely.

Should I change to something else?

edit on 19-9-2012 by rigel4 because: (no reason given)

wow 10 years is really a lot of time.

I didnt experience any change in my sex drive and I can still get very emotional and cry.
The only effect I noticed more than anything is Im more agressive SOMETIMES. And sometimes a bit coldhearted.
But I've only taken this drug for a couple of months. And I plan to drop it as soon as I start counseling with someone efficient.which is quiet a job on its own to find a good one ;
hehe

anyway- if you feel like this, I think you should talk to your doctor, and discuss the options of changing to something else.
There are some natural things as well, homeopathy that can help depression if you are willing to do a inner job, with it, etc. Alternative medicine.
Just saying.
Best of lucks
edit on 20/9/12 by plutoxgirl because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by davethebear
Yeah, counselling is a good option for many things, but you have really got to want to do it for it to be of any benefit........Obviously you have to be open and truthful with a counsellor in order for it to work, it has to be some one that you feel comfortable with and from my own experiences and clients I have worked with you have to give it time.......You should be the one doing the talking not the counsellor in order for you to reflect on what you have talked about in order for your mind to work out the reasons why you are feeling the way that you do in order to put things right..........

Yessssss, well its hard trying again after a bad experience. The woman I went to was like a
I hadto sum up my whole fckn life in 1 hour and I told her really personal and imporant things that happened to me and she was like very light about everything. I felt she just wanted my money and wasnt really listening to what I was saying.
After that I didnt feel like going again to another "professional" stranger, and AGAIN talk about my life and stuff, so instead I was taking the pills which are helping me yes. But sure, I will find a counsellor, a good psychologist, eventually.
Because pills arent obviously the solution to anything. Its just a temporary thing to drop off as soon as possible.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 08:18 PM
link   
I have struggled with anxiety and depression since childhood. I finally took a medical doctor's advice in my early 20s after getting married and started taking Prozac. It did help with the depression but also completley eliminated my libido and I began having episodes of uncontrolable rage leading to violence so I stopped and took something else he prescribed before it ruined my marriage. I think it was Elavil or something similar to that name, I can't remember because it messed with my memory and appetite. After a year of being treated with it I couldn't stand the different person I became and decided I would rather be sad so I stopped taking it too. I just dealt with it for about 8 years untill I was having suicidal thoughts so frequently I was scared so I went back to the Dr. I stressed that I wanted help finding more natural treatments but was reassured that all I needed was another anti-depressant pill. I began taking Cymbalta and almost immediatley felt like a happy new person. Too happy, nothing could bring me down, my teenage daughter started walking all over me because I had a new found 'okay, whatever, it's all good' attitude. After a few months I realized that the happiness I was experiencing was totally fake, nothing in my life had changed other than I just didn't seem to care about anything anymore and was strangely happy all the time. It just didn't feel real or right. I shared this with the Dr and she blew me off basically. I was also seeing a therapist at the time and when I shared this with her she also just blew it off and said 'Well what do you expect? You wanted to feel better right?" This didn't sit well with me, yes, I wanted to feel better but not just a drug induced happiness, I wanted to BE well, not just feel like I was. So I stopped taking that as well. The only side effect it gave me was excessive sweating, which has still not gone away after 3 years of being off of it. That is very irritating!
After getting off that drug I decided to change my lifestyle to try and heal myself since I'm not a big believer in putting chemicals into my body to heal because I don't believe that's what they do and we were not meant to have them in there anyway.They just mask the problem in my opinion.Then one day as I sat on my bed crying because I was so sick of being sad all the time, a song I learned at church as a child popped into my head "what goes in is what comes out" I thought about what I put into my body, thought about all the crap foods I ate (I was also just becoming aware of all the nonsence that is in what we eat) and tried to imagine what those foods did to my brain. I couldn't think of anything positive it could be doing to me so what I did was try to eliminate processed foods as much as I could and do my very best to avoid anything GMO. I went as all-natural as I could and I also started meditating and healing and balancing my chakras. I was not a believer in any way, shape or form of this practice when I started. I figured that since I wasn't a believer in chemical medications and I'd tried them anyway that I might as well try a more natural route and just see what would happen. That was almost 2 years ago and I can honestly say that it has worked for me. I have a different outlook on life, react to situations differently and feel overall healthier. I do not feel that I suffer from the anxiety and or depression anymore and I havent had a panic attack in the two years I've been practicing this healthy lifestyle.
Yes, everyone is different and react to different treatments differently too but I swear that this changed me. I never knew I could be without the sadness. I was feeling like would be with me forever but now that has all changed. All I had to do was fill my body with what was intended to be inside of it and clear my mind enough for it to open up and let me find the way to heal myself.
I wish you the very best and hope with all I have you are able to find a way to heal and be a healthy and happy person.
Peace & Love

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by wantsome
I have schizophrenia and I've taken a lot of meds over the years. I can not stand antidepressants they make me serioiusly loopy. Everybody reacts differently to meds because not everyone is the same.

In most cases antidepressants will help if your depressed. In some people they don't help at all. They make me overly happy it feels unatural to me.

I've taken Zoloft Paxil Prozac and Lexapro. From my experiance each had different side effects. Paxil gave me motor mouth I could not shut up. Zoloft made me obsesive compulsive. Lexapro gave me headaches so did Prozac.

Medications aren't for everyone. If you can get by in life without them do so. Myself I need to take meds to control hallucinations and my meds do work.

The only time I would recomend medications when the illness effects your ability to live life. Becareful because there are doctors out there that love to push meds.

My doctor is a MD at a hospital and I see him through a out patients resource. Call your local hospital to get recomendatoins for a doctor.

Stopping meds can cause problems. It's best not to stop all at once if you've been on them for a while. When I quit taking antidepressants I crashed and ended up more depressed then when I started.

Get this.. a very close friend of ours called one evening last yr crying and yelling for me to come over ( ex Rn in an ER) anyway, he was on Zoloft due to "job related stress" , was doing pretty well, then after an appointment for whatever reason his Dr added Abilify. He was curled up on the floor crying ( literally on his kitchen floor with his cell phone) after his 2nd dose of Abilify and in a real mess. I dont mess around with this kind of thing and called the paramedics. Seems some folks react BADLY to abilify. He also went inpatient and discovered he wasnt stressed from his work.. he was diagnosed as BiPolar 2 and had a psychotic issue ( his behavior really seemed similar to schizophrenics Id dealt with before) on the zoloft and abilify. As in it made him worse.. and he is still worse.. now treated with Resperidal, Trazodone and Effexor. He never required this sort or amt of medication previous to this Dr prescribing Zoloft and abilify wrongly.
I really believe that sometimes these meds they push on you due them being the latest buzz can perm alter some folks if they are wrongly diagnosed. He isnt working now, where he was able to hold a job previously very well.
I really dont think this is super common, but it happens and its horrible when it does.
I say if you NEED it .. take it. I am no Dr.. and certain conditions require help medicinally. I will never tell a person not to take a psychiatric medication regardless of the latest bandwagon. Simply put, they can be an aid or a poison.. a person or the persons loved one or friend has to be an informed advocate.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 10:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Advantage

Zoloft incorporates nutmeg chemistry into it if I remember right, along with possibly organic fluoride or...Tea. Tea and pumpkin pie seems like a better way to control it.
Gotta eat anyway, might as well enjoy the medicine.
Has the same weight gain side effect as Zoloft has though

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 11:29 PM
link   
Thought i would update to say, its been more than a month i dropped my anti-depressants. I just woke up one day and knew i didnt need them anymore. So u threw them out. Didnt have withdrawal or any side effect.
I know this isnt recommended by doctors but it worked for me.

I think it also helped i'd been doing some "inner work". Not any counselling. Just me applying some spititual knowledge. Plus the reasons i was feeling bad/worried had turned out all good so yeah...
Bye to my lexapro pills!

new topics
top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join