It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Antidepressants and behaviour change?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 04:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by wantsome
The only time I would recomend medications when the illness effects your ability to live life. Becareful because there are doctors out there that love to push meds.

This. (And some of the rest)

Wantsome gives some really good perspective and advice; I've read other posts from the person and they always give quite a balanced opinion on this subject.

To be honest, and some people are going to kill me for this, I'd recommend against casual research of some of these things. There are many horror stories and so many negative side effects these types of medications can have ... but sometimes it's what you need. If you're at a spot in your life right now where your mind is negatively affecting your life then it may be a risk/investigation that is right for you. Often hearing other people's stories is just going to fill you with fear.

So long as you aren't replacing your efforts to better yourself with pills alone I think if it's needed and helping then it's right for you.

The one thing I would say about 'trying' to be happy ... so long as you're honestly trying to be happy don't be down on yourself. People say 'try' or 'just do it' but it's a training thing. Your brain wasn't trained by the world to be depressed in a day, so you're not going to train it to be happy in a week, month or even years. It comes though. (And I'm saying this knowing how much 'advice' can suck when you're depressy)

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 05:01 AM
link   
My Antidepressant .nfo

Diagnosis: Psychotic Depression
Drug: Deptran (Doxepin)
Dosage: 200mg daily (2x50mg tablets in morning; 2x50mg tablets in evening)
On since: 2009

I can hold down a job for longer than 12 months since taking them, I can hold down a relationship for longer than 2 months since taking them. Prior to that I could not achieve that sort of commitment. I have not been arrested on any indictable offense since prescribed (DUI is not indictable), nor have I seriously harmed anyone since taking them. I have stopped IV drug use, reduced alcohol to once a week and my life is better off in general.

But I am now an emotionless robot, who is a slave to bigPharma.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 06:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by mysterioustranger
Youre kidding rt? Its SUPPOSED to change your behavior...from depressed and/or anxious to a happier frame of mind.

And if you ever stop taking them, they will send you insane.

Then they say "look, he stopped taking his medication"...

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 06:40 AM
link   
reply to post by NuclearPaul

A lot of people (including people in this thread) have stopped taking medication without going the wrong side of postal.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 06:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by RABiam
Yea, Ive been told by a doctor that i could gain some kind of benefit from Paxil. I think i took 1 pill and never took them again. I told him i wasnt depressed or anything and he still wanted me on paxil for months....what a waste.

There's a lot of profit to be made by getting people hooked on drugs you supply them.

Why do you think he wanted to get you on them so badly?

Some people honestly believe that doctors help their patients. I believe they help those who control them.

edit on 18/9/12 by NuclearPaul because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 07:10 AM
link   
reply to post by NuclearPaul

Youre right about that. Sadly, in a lot of cases...go OFF the meds...and youre right back to the same old depressive PTSD-bi-polar-sczoid situation all over again.

Some need the meds and get better but stay on them, others take them UNTIL they get better...and of course...some refuse to take anything at all....and stay depressed.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 07:36 AM
link   
reply to post by plutoxgirl

Im a medical professional EMT, Cert. Pharmacy Tech and 1st Responder...and Ive taken all the meds you can think of in my past. All of them.....Its been 7 years since I needed anything...and Im doing quite well.

As an Emergency Responder...every single person I respond to has to be handled carefully until I know what they are on and why they are taking it. Even though they may be severely injured...some of them come out swinging.

My point is that of course you would notice behavioral changes as thats what is intended by the meds one takes. Yes, they will change your behavior. Some, only while you take them...others wont work at all...and still others get you better only while one continues to take them. You and your Dr. has to find that medium that works for you.

Ill leave it at this: If prescribed for you? Take them until you feel better. See your physican then, and ask to either continue them, change them to something else, or to stop taking them. Then you can come up with either a maint. program or gradual Medication Exit Strategy to wean yourself off the meds. In some cases...hopefullly not for you...one has to take them forever.

Remember, these types of meds can be hard as they put you thru personality changes. Good luck to you.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 08:22 AM
link   
There are many ways to get rid of depression using minor diet changes. The system used in moderation can correct the problem. It is important to know what is the cause of the problem and that is genetically related. Start by looking at the what someone related to you who is not experiencing problems is eating. This is very hard to explain without examining ones diet, sometimes eating too much of a foodgroup causes problems similar to eating to little. Some foods and organic based minerals can alleviate problems of mania and depression. As with drugs, overeating these foods can cause side effects. I've been studying all the problems for a little while and testing on myself to see the effects. It is interesting how this works.

I can't help anyone other than telling them the properties of things. A person has to try everything on their own. It appears that many medicines side effects are evident because the body senses the presence of the chemical in the medicine and makes digestive enzymes to digest the organic base of which the medicine was derived. The bodies created enzymes are not used and they create a separate problem. As an example, Prozac has organic fluoride in it plus maybe a hint of chemicals found in nutmeg if I remember right. So having a cup of tea each day and a piece of pumpkin pie every couple of days may replace it with fewer side effects. other deserts have nutmeg also. If you find yourself staring at a something in the store, wonder why your subconscious is making you do it. These organic chemicals are slowly taken out of the digestive system when in food, titrating the body by using them. Eating these foods containing similar chemistry while on the meds can boost the amounts in the body and screw up the dose. I don't like meds for this reason, before I ever take longterm meds again I will investigate their actions and try to figure out how to naturally correct the problem.

Studying the basis of the meds and the knowledge of the bodily changes that occur is something I have interest in. I tell you, I have made mistakes that changed my comprehension just by eating a food without a required companion food. To be content is necessary but is in opposition to intellect some times. Trying to find what interferes with the fruit of the tree of knowledge's interaction with the tree of life's health benefits along with keeping oneself calm and content is definitely hard. Spices we cook with is very important as is timing of food consumption. Alchemy is not an easy field to study as it relates to the human body.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 10:20 AM
link   
I also think the meds affect people differently. Thats why I was curious on hearing how it affected other people than me.

I am not comparing myself to anyone, I just like to hear other people's stories because Im interested in this kind of thing, therefore why i asked it on a forum, to hear stories from all kinds of people from all walks of life.

I love investigating how the brain works, etc. and the personality disorders and such. I like to understand people.

Im thankful to my psychiatrist, he is really an awesome person, and he is NOT like some other psychiatrist I met which are only there to give you pills. My psychiatrist advice me to take the antidepressants only for a while only, and told me to just go counselling.

I seriously dislike people who bash all doctors and put everyone in the same bag. My father is a doctor himself and he has plenty saved lives with convetional medicine. And no, he is not a psychiatrist.

Regarding pills, well I can talk about ESCITALOPRAM (i think its called lexapro in some other countries), yes they did help me. I feel much less depressed than I did before.

I have really no bad side effects or anything, other than SOMETIMES feeling a bit more agressive.
I have a very strong personality, character, so I dont know if the pills kind of exacerbate my traits. But I also sometimes feel a bit more cold- hearted. But I dont know, this could be as well the result of different things I have lived in the last year and so.

Apart from that I noticed my dreams have increased tremendously. I dream a lot, like movie types. When I wake up, I can write almosta movie script.

Other than that, its all fine.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   

I took antidepressants my senior year in high school for about a month. I cannot remember what brand it was, but I have never been the same since.

My mom was the one who made me take them, convinced I was crazy, however I was just a normal teen. I used to be able to get excited about things before taking them. I could get peppy so speak. I didn't like how they made me feel sadder when I could have felt joyous. Basically it leveled me out, but happy times were unattainable.

I stopped taking them and felt withdrawals. In the ten years since then, its still hard for me to become excited. I'm more morbid, but I have found that I am able to experience joy again. That took years.

Get off them and eat right, exercise, and surround yourself with good people. I also took saffron and it helped back then.
edit on 18-9-2012 by fictitious because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by plutoxgirl

Originally posted by Char-Lee

Years ago when I went through a very bad time in my life my depression became overwhelming, I took Prozac and it helped tremendously I took it about 3 months, but later a Dr prescribed paxil, I had a very bad change in feelings, no longer interested in sex, tired and just very different.

What I learned...I began to run, slowly I started walking and over a year began to run a min of a mile a day. when running I never ever experienced depression again. Running is a total cure but we are all lazy so pills are the way we go. I would never take pills again as some of the changes in my personality were permanent.

The Prozac saved my life at the time so I still recommend them, just not as a long term solution.

Glad to hear you overcome it

Yes I heard running is a therapy for many people.

What you said about the changes in feelings. Thats interesting!
And thats what I was talking about, feeling different OTHER THAN the expected switch from sad to happy.
I didnt have a change in libido and dont feel tired.

I sometimes feel more agressive. And some other changes, like bitter?. Its hard to explain exactly.
I just feel weird sometimes. But yes not that depressed than if im not with the pills.

edit on 17/9/12 by plutoxgirl because: (no reason given)

I think adrenalin is the total cure for depression. I wish others would try it and see if it is not just me.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
There are many ways to get rid of depression using minor diet changes. The system used in moderation can correct the problem. It is important to know what is the cause of the problem and that is genetically related. Start by looking at the what someone related to you who is not experiencing problems is eating. This is very hard to explain without examining ones diet, sometimes eating too much of a foodgroup causes problems similar to eating to little. Some foods and organic based minerals can alleviate problems of mania and depression. As with drugs, overeating these foods can cause side effects. I've been studying all the problems for a little while and testing on myself to see the effects. It is interesting how this works.

I can't help anyone other than telling them the properties of things. A person has to try everything on their own. It appears that many medicines side effects are evident because the body senses the presence of the chemical in the medicine and makes digestive enzymes to digest the organic base of which the medicine was derived. The bodies created enzymes are not used and they create a separate problem. As an example, Prozac has organic fluoride in it plus maybe a hint of chemicals found in nutmeg if I remember right. So having a cup of tea each day and a piece of pumpkin pie every couple of days may replace it with fewer side effects. other deserts have nutmeg also. If you find yourself staring at a something in the store, wonder why your subconscious is making you do it. These organic chemicals are slowly taken out of the digestive system when in food, titrating the body by using them. Eating these foods containing similar chemistry while on the meds can boost the amounts in the body and screw up the dose. I don't like meds for this reason, before I ever take longterm meds again I will investigate their actions and try to figure out how to naturally correct the problem.

Studying the basis of the meds and the knowledge of the bodily changes that occur is something I have interest in. I tell you, I have made mistakes that changed my comprehension just by eating a food without a required companion food. To be content is necessary but is in opposition to intellect some times. Trying to find what interferes with the fruit of the tree of knowledge's interaction with the tree of life's health benefits along with keeping oneself calm and content is definitely hard. Spices we cook with is very important as is timing of food consumption. Alchemy is not an easy field to study as it relates to the human body.

Very interesting all you say

Im a slim person, and Im a vegetarian but structured vegetarians routine bores me. lol. so I just eat what I feel like at the time I feel like to.
I have to admit I like diet coke a bit too much :p

And yes I am very healthy, I dont gain weight or anything. Plus yes I excerise as well. I love it, endorphines are awesome.

Its weird because I am not the typical depressed person.
I think I have the depressive gene or something.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Char-Lee

I think adrenalin is the total cure for depression. I wish others would try it and see if it is not just me.

I think theres some truth to this! I dont know if its the complete cure, but it makes you feel great definitely.
adrenaline- and now you said that. I remembered I had a period where I loved going to the amusment park, to rollercoasters and such, cuz It made me feel very alive.
Yes I like things that make me experience big emotions!
I always wanted tried bungee jumping. Hehe.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 01:30 PM
link   

This stuff is very complex. Either the reasoning behind it is hidden for reasons of monitary gain or not many people are putting it together. I think it's because if they said this stuff right out it would get people off of meds and that is not what doctors are for here in America.We put all our faith in those who profit from us being sick. We created this mess in society. Our Economy is very reliant on the medical industry and all it's side industries, Look at all the good paying jobs throughout the country that they support. What a mess, if the cure for cancer from happening was found and released to the public the United States economy would crumble. Good thing nobody will believe the truth. Pretty soon we will all work for the medical industries and their affiliates or will be sick patients who spend everything left on health care costs. No in between. They will keep us alive till our money is gone.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Char-Lee

Boosting the adrenaline has to be done in the right way or irrationality may result. Constantly using adrenaline without replacing needed nutrients can lead to long term problems.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
reply to post by Char-Lee

Boosting the adrenaline has to be done in the right way or irrationality may result. Constantly using adrenaline without replacing needed nutrients can lead to long term problems.

I was suggesting natural adrenal boost from athlete activities. If we added a healthy diet with the running or other high level aerobic activity in a day I am thinking there may be a cure for most emotional ups and downs, a stabilizing effect.

I personally have a thing about pills and don't take anything unless very necessary and for a short time only.

I had no idea so many hormones are effected by running also...
www.livestrong.com...
edit on 19-9-2012 by Char-Lee because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by plutoxgirl

Regarding pills, well I can talk about ESCITALOPRAM (i think its called lexapro in some other countries), yes they did help me. I feel much less depressed than I did before.

I have really no bad side effects or anything, other than SOMETIMES feeling a bit more agressive.
I have a very strong personality, character, so I dont know if the pills kind of exacerbate my traits. But I also sometimes feel a bit more cold- hearted. But I dont know, this could be as well the result of different things I have lived in the last year and so.

Apart from that I noticed my dreams have increased tremendously. I dream a lot, like movie types. When I wake up, I can write almosta movie script.

Other than that, its all fine.

That's my experience as well with escitalopram (lexapro). Exactly as you put it.

I'm a really sensitive and empathic individual, to the point that seeing any living being suffering makes my heart ache a lot. This usually sends me into bouts of anxiety and depression that -if not taken care of- can spiral downward quite hard.

I've been prescribed with paxil (paroxetine), which I took for a year, then went off it a year after. My behavioural changes were the most dramatic with this drug, as I felt my sexual drive shoot off the charts, but I also became absolutely self-absorbed, egoistic and very aggressive. I quit Paxil cold turkey and had the worst three weeks of my life, waking up in the middle of the night drenched in sweat, with nasty and very realistic technicolored nightmares and feeling dazed out during the days, with my brain "zapping" every now and then.

A year after quitting paxil I fell into a depression again and this time I was prescribed Prozac (fluoxetine). In my experience this has been the "best" antidepressant I've had. It made me feel great, without the anxiety, the crazed sexual appetite, the bloated ego or the aggressiveness and impatience that I felt with Paxil. It removed all forms of obsessive-compulsiveness and coming out of it was also quite mellow.

Finally, after one year being depression and antidepressant-free, I relapsed and was prescribed Lexapro (escitalopram). For me, it wasn't as strong as paxil or as efficient as prozac. It did the job. I snapped out of my depression and could focus again in living my life without the constant anxiety and irrational fears that sometimes would overcome me. On the con side, as you said, it did make me more impacient and quite aggressive, feelings I usually don't have. it also blocked a significant part of my sensitivity and empathy towards other people, although maybe that was for the better. It kind of made me more indifferent and cold.

Anyways, looking back, I think that dealing with depression is something that shouldn't be so hard and stygmatized as it is. It's an illness. You didn't ask for it. There was probably nothing you could have done to avoid it, very much so as a diabetic was born into his condition . You just have to do your best to deal with it and overcome it.

Thank goodness we live in a time and place where we have medicine that can help us through.

I hope my brief account of hell helps you in something.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   
edit on 19-9-2012 by rigel4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 05:09 PM
link   
enjoyed reading this thread, i have been taking escitalopram for a long time .. 10 years

I noticed that some of you mention a cold and indifference that has taken them, thats how i feel, cant cry or get emotional.

Also sex drive has almost gone completely.

Should I change to something else?

edit on 19-9-2012 by rigel4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 05:15 PM
link   
I refuse to take anti-depressants on the grounds that they're man-made poison.

I had read somewhere that fluoride is one of the key ingredients in anti-depressants.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join