It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Antidepressants and behaviour change?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Im interested in reading whether people here who have taken anti-depressants have noticed a change in their personality/behaviour. Which antidepressant? and for how long have you been taking the pills?

I've been on anti-depressants for a few months . Before I started taking them, some people were warning me about it, the big pharma bussiness blah blah, but none of those were suffering with depression themselves. Its very easy to talk and say, well if you are depressed "do this and do that"- it all sounds so easy!

I dont choose to feel depressed many times. I think I've suffered it all my life, but always manged it pretty good, I know how to mask it up, always did, and it was cyclic -sometimes it wll go away -but after some # happening in my life It was a trigger that put me down in a hole.

And the pills did help me while other alternative things have not.

Of course they are not 'the solution'.

But Im curious whether other people have felt the pills have affected their behaviour in some way or not.

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Youre kidding rt? Its SUPPOSED to change your behavior...from depressed and/or anxious to a happier frame of mind.

This IS what they are intended for, you know?

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 01:03 PM
link   
I have a very rare health condition called Acromegaly which was diagnosed in 2007....

But with years leading up to my diagnosis I had always been a person who suffered a great deal of depression due to my medical condition I never even knew that I had.....

My depression is due to a hormone deficiency related to the Pituitary Gland and unfortunately cannot be altered no matter what anti-depressants I take, therefore it is something I have to live with...

But the simplest way of putting it is that everybody's body is different, what may work for another with medication may not work for another....

But please be careful with anti- depressants, once you are on them it is very hard to get off them, I can say that by my own personal experiences.....

On another note, it may be worth looking into some kind of counselling therapy. I have worked within counselling services for many years and you will be surprised as to how counselling can work over time....

All the best to you.......

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 01:04 PM
link   
i take paxil (sp) for anxiety for my OCD which on occasion had left me with some depression over the years. i have had neither anxiety or depression since i started taking it 9 months ago. i'm on 20mg a day which is a low dose but it works well for me.

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   
While i was on cymbalta and abilify for 3 years i had huge weight gain and then one day i just stopped cold turkey and never looked back, they cover up your problems, they dont take them away

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by plutoxgirl

Years ago when I went through a very bad time in my life my depression became overwhelming, I took Prozac and it helped tremendously I took it about 3 months, but later a Dr prescribed paxil, I had a very bad change in feelings, no longer interested in sex, tired and just very different.

What I learned...I began to run, slowly I started walking and over a year began to run a min of a mile a day. when running I never ever experienced depression again. Running is a total cure but we are all lazy so pills are the way we go. I would never take pills again as some of the changes in my personality were permanent.

The Prozac saved my life at the time so I still recommend them, just not as a long term solution.

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by davethebear

My depression is due to a hormone deficiency related to the Pituitary Gland and unfortunately cannot be altered no matter what anti-depressants I take, therefore it is something I have to live with...

Says who?

You're doctor I'm guessing.....

Sorry about your situation. With the access to information we have now there is zero reason to just take someone at their word - especially when it affects your whole life and the person telling you it's "hopeless without drugs" is benefiting financially from that advice!

(Not all doctors are bad. Not saying that. Some just care a lot more than others)

Interesting you mentioned the Pituitary... have you considered sungazing? I can't attest to this personally but I would suggest you research the topic, as those who are into that activity swear that it "wakens" a calcified Pituitary.

*this is not medical advice. I'm simply pointing out something I read which seemed relevant. Peace

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Hello! I have been taking anti depressants ( Prozac) on and off for a few years, each time because I experienced post natal depression ( I have 3 children) and am quite open and happy to talk about the subject because the effects for me are so positive!
I took Prozac for 6 months at a time after giving birth to each baby but a year ago, when my son was born, fully aware that I would be likely to suffer PND again, I decided to start taking it again! I did ' test myself' by weaning myself off it for a couple of months recently but I can see traits in my own personality that are in need of the ' numbing' effect that Prozac gives me!

Firstly I tend to be more negative about life in general when not taking the drug! I would define my personality as 'highly sensitive' therefore I tend to 'feel' everything that happens to me too much. To illustrate I become easily upset if someone beeps their horn at me when driving, to the point of tears. If somebody, ie at the supermarket when serving me is dismissive or rude, I take it very personally and I begin to define my self esteem on other people's reactions to me, but to an extreme level! I become extremely critical of life in general and don't have as much patience with my children! I also fear driving/ flying for worry of what could happen o me or my children! This is without Prozac.

So taking Prozac for me 'numbs' all of these feelings, almost completely! I honestly don't feel any negative effects. My behaviour therefore changes dramatically in that I am alot more balanced, patient and positive. I am aware though that there are underlying issues in my life that contribute to my negative feelings that could be dealt with perhaps alternatively, the major one being that am living as an expat in a middle Eastern country with my Midfle Eastern husband and family. Although I love it on the whole ( I can say that now I am taking Prozac, see! ) it can be challenging culturally on a daily basis. I need that balance to be able to cope. I also suffered a pulmonary embolism 6 months ago which very nearly took my life, thereforei am still coming to terms with that issue and the almost disastrous effect it could have had on my family. Again, balance is a word I would use to describe how it changes my personality / behaviour. I guess without it I am unbalanced, slightly irrational and plagued by negativity!

Just my experience and a subject I am interested in. I do believe there are times in our life when we need a little help to get us through, sometimes treatable by more natural methods, but I am happy to use ' big pharma' for now to help me through and give me what I need!

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by HIWATT

Says who?

You're doctor I'm guessing.....

Sorry about your situation. With the access to information we have now there is zero reason to just take someone at their word - especially when it affects your whole life and the person telling you it's "hopeless without drugs" is benefiting financially from that advice!

(Not all doctors are bad. Not saying that. Some just care a lot more than others)

Interesting you mentioned the Pituitary... have you considered sungazing? I can't attest to this personally but I would suggest you research the topic, as those who are into that activity swear that it "wakens" a calcified Pituitary.

*this is not medical advice. I'm simply pointing out something I read which seemed relevant. Peace

Hi HIWATT...............I can honestly say that I have never heard of sungazing, I have no idea what that term means, but I shall definitely have a look and see what it is all about..... obviously I am under a few doctors and endocrinologists and at times they are lost due to the rarity of my Acromagaly, but I am always open to better my health situation......

thanks again, I will let you know what I find out........

If you are interested, here is a link to a thread I added recently....

www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 17-9-2012 by davethebear because: additional info

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by mysterioustranger
Youre kidding rt? Its SUPPOSED to change your behavior...from depressed and/or anxious to a happier frame of mind.

This IS what they are intended for, you know?

????????????????????????
DUH
I was obviously NOT talking about changing the frame of mind from depressed to a happier one. READ clearly i said behaviour change, which has nothing to do with happy/sad WHICH is the obvious expected effect.

Dont come to my thread like a know it all, assuming Im asking a ridiculous question like one to your answer would be.

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 06:00 PM
link   

I have a very rare health condition called Acromegaly which was diagnosed in 2007....

But with years leading up to my diagnosis I had always been a person who suffered a great deal of depression due to my medical condition I never even knew that I had.....

But the simplest way of putting it is that everybody's body is different, what may work for another with medication may not work for another....

But please be careful with anti- depressants, once you are on them it is very hard to get off them, I can say that by my own personal experiences.....

On another note, it may be worth looking into some kind of counselling therapy. I have worked within counselling services for many years and you will be surprised as to how counselling can work over time....

Thanks for sharing !
Never heard of that condition.

Interesting of the counselling therapy.

I went to a psychologist some time ago, like only once. lol. but she wanst a good one. And I dont feel again opening up myself to a complete stranger and wait on their opinion.

Best to you as well.

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 06:01 PM
link   

I took anti-depressants (zoloft) for 6 months while in High School, was very depressed mildly suicidal. I medicated with the zoloft at a low consistent dose at a standard Rx. It helped greatly, mostly by returning my "normal" daily mood to a a good baseline. Once I was back at that line I was able to get off the pills. I know a few people who were on anti-depressants for years and also were helped.

However, the side effects are weird and all over the place often. If you don't HAVE to have them, don't take them.

-This does not constitute any formal medical advice as I am not a medical professional and not qualified to give such recommendations.

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Char-Lee

Years ago when I went through a very bad time in my life my depression became overwhelming, I took Prozac and it helped tremendously I took it about 3 months, but later a Dr prescribed paxil, I had a very bad change in feelings, no longer interested in sex, tired and just very different.

What I learned...I began to run, slowly I started walking and over a year began to run a min of a mile a day. when running I never ever experienced depression again. Running is a total cure but we are all lazy so pills are the way we go. I would never take pills again as some of the changes in my personality were permanent.

The Prozac saved my life at the time so I still recommend them, just not as a long term solution.

Glad to hear you overcome it

Yes I heard running is a therapy for many people.

What you said about the changes in feelings. Thats interesting!
And thats what I was talking about, feeling different OTHER THAN the expected switch from sad to happy.
I didnt have a change in libido and dont feel tired.

I sometimes feel more agressive. And some other changes, like bitter?. Its hard to explain exactly.
I just feel weird sometimes. But yes not that depressed than if im not with the pills.

edit on 17/9/12 by plutoxgirl because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 06:32 PM
link   
I appreciate everyone sharing their experiences, I like to read what you have to say.

I know if I feel different I have to talk with my DR. etc etc However- I just like to investigate and come up with conclusions myself as I do introspection/observe myself closely. So was wondering if others members noticed some changes while on pills OTHER THAN the normal expected effect of "less depression".

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 06:46 PM
link   
I'm not going to get into any personal experience here as I'm not comfortable with that in a public forum.

I will say that I am drug free

My exgf on the other hand. Sheesh. what a mess. She has been on one form or another of anti-depps/psychotics to "treat" anxiety/depression for a longgg time. Approx. 15 years. Her doctor told her flat out that she would have to be medicated for the rest of her life if she wanted an semblance of a normal life.

THAT should be criminal advice. But she took it and now she's screwed.
Past attempts at coming off them were shall we say "unsuccessful" ... however now her financial situation has changed to where she can now not afford her meds. She said she feels 1000x worse then she did before starting the "medication" and I'm now speaking with her on occasion trying to convince her not to do anything stupid

I caution anyone thinking about taking any form of these drugs to thoroughly research them before proceeding. There are MANY discussion forums on the web specifically tailored for topics about this.
You may not end up a horror story, then again..........

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Yea, Ive been told by a doctor that i could gain some kind of benefit from Paxil. I think i took 1 pill and never took them again. I told him i wasnt depressed or anything and he still wanted me on paxil for months....what a waste.

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 07:54 PM
link   
I have schizophrenia and I've taken a lot of meds over the years. I can not stand antidepressants they make me serioiusly loopy. Everybody reacts differently to meds because not everyone is the same.

In most cases antidepressants will help if your depressed. In some people they don't help at all. They make me overly happy it feels unatural to me.

I've taken Zoloft Paxil Prozac and Lexapro. From my experiance each had different side effects. Paxil gave me motor mouth I could not shut up. Zoloft made me obsesive compulsive. Lexapro gave me headaches so did Prozac.

Medications aren't for everyone. If you can get by in life without them do so. Myself I need to take meds to control hallucinations and my meds do work.

The only time I would recomend medications when the illness effects your ability to live life. Becareful because there are doctors out there that love to push meds.

My doctor is a MD at a hospital and I see him through a out patients resource. Call your local hospital to get recomendatoins for a doctor.

Stopping meds can cause problems. It's best not to stop all at once if you've been on them for a while. When I quit taking antidepressants I crashed and ended up more depressed then when I started.

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by plutoxgirl

Thanks for sharing !
Never heard of that condition.

Interesting of the counselling therapy.

I went to a psychologist some time ago, like only once. lol. but she wanst a good one. And I dont feel again opening up myself to a complete stranger and wait on their opinion.

Best to you as well.

Yeah, counselling is a good option for many things, but you have really got to want to do it for it to be of any benefit........Obviously you have to be open and truthful with a counsellor in order for it to work, it has to be some one that you feel comfortable with and from my own experiences and clients I have worked with you have to give it time.......You should be the one doing the talking not the counsellor in order for you to reflect on what you have talked about in order for your mind to work out the reasons why you are feeling the way that you do in order to put things right..........

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 08:43 PM
link   
The trick is to find the right med at the right dose, what works best for you. It doesn't matter how others react to the meds as everyone is different. It is a lot of trial and error until you find what works for you.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 04:03 AM
link   
I am taking Celexa due to some, let's call them "anger/rage issues" and it has helped a lot. I am an all around more calm person and I can think better before I react to situations. The only thing I have noticed aside from the intended effect is a decrease in what was previously an overactive sex drive.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join