It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Never Judge an ATS Thread Title by its Wording...........

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 12:30 PM
link   
When a new thread appears here on ATS, do you disregard it due the wording in the subject title?

Don’t get me wrong, during the last couple of years I have also been guilty of this like so many other ATS members, but over time I have tried my best to show respect to read and take onboard threads that have been offered to us….

There are some subjects I can honestly say that I have no interest in and I have tended to lean towards the subjects that I do like. But over time I have learned that many of the thread titles are worded in a way that deflects away from the subject that they are really trying to focus upon….

Yes, of course, some threads are totally misleading and on occasions seem to take you on a journey you wished that you had never taken, but there is always the nugget of gold thread amongst the rivers of knee deep faeces…

On some occasions I cannot even understand what the hell the title of the thread even means…

On some occasions the title is written in such bad English that you don’t even give it the time of day....

There are the threads that seem to have been written by people who have just got out of bed two minutes earlier and are writing them on the toilet…

Then on other occasions there are threads that have been well detailed, explored and put across in a manner that you know full well that the member who posted them has worked very hard indeed to give you all the relevant details you could ever need…

My heart aches sometimes for the ATS members that have added threads and you know full well that they have gone to a great deal of time and trouble to put a great thread together, but unfortunately have hardly any response….

Then you have the other threads that seemed to have been bodged together in two minutes over breakfast with hardly any work put into them, yet they are inundated with responses, plus copious amounts of flags and stars….

So I suppose what I am trying to say is don’t judge a thread by its title, at least click on it and see what nuggets of gold can be found and give the thread the respect it deserves…..

You never know what you may find….

Cheers

Davethebear…………….

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 12:32 PM
link   
So, as a starting contributing member, I ask you, what are your advices? Can you give me some tips and hints, please? That would be nice

addition: Did my embarrassing writing mistake in the title of my youngest thread triggered your response here??

On some occasions the title is written in such bad English that you don’t even give it the time of day....

edit on 17-9-2012 by StareDad because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by StareDad

Just follow these simple guidelines and ask these questions about your thread:

"Is what I am about to post a genuine attempt at civil discourse/debate about the topic or, am I trying to scream at the world and force my personal beliefs down everyone else's throat?"

"Is this thread I am creating an honest attempt at civil discourse/debate about the subject or, am I trying to sow as much hatred as I can about the evil ___________s to wake people up to the fact they are scum?"

"Is what I am about to post a clever attempt at sounding like I am seeking honest, civil discourse/debate about the topic so I can claim innocence when my thread gets removed and I get banned or, is it truly my attempt at understanding and learning?

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by redbarron626

to be honest, I think all those points are one. I agree with you on it but for me it´s common sense, same for you of course.

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Good advice. I often do not eve click on a thread I am so turned off by the title. That isn't fair to those who go to the trouble to make a thread, besides, it is not like I couldn't learn a few things.

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by StareDad
So, as a starting contributing member, I ask you, what are your advices? Can you give me some tips and hints, please? That would be nice

addition: Did my embarrassing writing mistake in the title of my youngest thread triggered your response here??

edit on 17-9-2012 by StareDad because: (no reason given)

I suppose what I am trying to say above is look at each individual thread and give it the merit it deserves either by responding and asking questions that you see fit to the thread....

If it is a thread that you feel deals with a topic in a well laid out fashion, then add either a flag or a star if you wish. If the thread does not present you with anything you feel worthy of a response or a For S, then just leave it alone and go onto the next one.....

There are many threads that lead members up the garden path, there have been a few of late. But unless a good argument, examples or proof are put forward, then don't don't just Fand S it just for the sake of it...

I suppose that is what I put my experiences down to over the last few years.....

My thread has got nothing to do with whatever thread you have posted lately.....

cheers

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Iamschist
Good advice. I often do not eve click on a thread I am so turned off by the title. That isn't fair to those who go to the trouble to make a thread, besides, it is not like I couldn't learn a few things.

True, but one only has so much time for reading. I would say that we will continue to miss good stuff because we do not have time to check. Very important how we word the title.

on the other hand we do know that we can get more flags and stars with lines like...

My grandfather is married my mother and I am my brothers child!

or Nibiru is incoming and there is no place you can hide...see pictures now!

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Char-Lee

True, but one only has so much time for reading. I would say that we will continue to miss good stuff because we do not have time to check. Very important how we word the title.

on the other hand we do know that we can get more flags and stars with lines like...

My grandfather is married my mother and I am my brothers child!

or Nibiru is incoming and there is no place you can hide...see pictures now!

Exactly Char-Lee[....very, very true...........but we have to try and sift as best as we can.....haha

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Char-Lee

Yes there are those threads. Frankly these days those are the ones I pass up. I have found the more sensational the title the less likely I am to find substance. I agree with the OP that doing that can be a mistake on occasion.

Time is a big issue here. I can come on just to 'check it out' and 2hrs later....................I subscribe to threads I am interested in, but cannot read at the time, one or two I have had on myATS page for, well, to long and they still aren't read.

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 01:19 PM
link   

reply to post by Char-Lee

Yes there are those threads. Frankly these days those are the ones I pass up. I have found the more sensational the title the less likely I am to find substance. I agree with the OP that doing that can be a mistake on occasion.

Time is a big issue here. I can come on just to 'check it out' and 2hrs later....................I subscribe to threads I am interested in, but cannot read at the time, one or two I have had on myATS page for, well, to long and they still aren't read.

Yeah Iamschist, I totally agree with you there, time is always against us......

That is why the subscription button is a good thing to have, at least you can go back to it at a later date...

Nice one......

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Well said, davethebear. When I have the time, I give nearly all new threads (and some older ones) the benefit of the doubt and at least read the OP to see what they are offering.

It is a hard thing to create a thread and put yourself out there, knowing there is a chance that people will pick it to death and post snarky one-liners, or dismiss it entirely. There are a few members on here who will completely derail the thread and shoot the messenger because there is a spelling error or things aren't worded exactly as they think they should be.

Treat other posters as you would want to be treated.

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by FissionSurplus
Well said, davethebear. When I have the time, I give nearly all new threads (and some older ones) the benefit of the doubt and at least read the OP to see what they are offering.

It is a hard thing to create a thread and put yourself out there, knowing there is a chance that people will pick it to death and post snarky one-liners, or dismiss it entirely. There are a few members on here who will completely derail the thread and shoot the messenger because there is a spelling error or things aren't worded exactly as they think they should be.

Treat other posters as you would want to be treated.

Thanks for your response.........yeah, exactly, don't disregard or derail it before it has been given a chance regardless of spelling errors or terrible thread title..........cheers

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Unfortunately, in our impatient world, title is everything...

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Signals
Unfortunately, in our impatient world, title is everything...

Yeah, unfortunately Signals, that is very true........

top topics

join