It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

AP - Black Pastors Say 'Stay Home' on Election Day

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

Black Pastors Say 'Stay Home' on Election Day

Some black clergy see no good presidential choice between a Mormon candidate and one who supports gay marriage, so they are telling their flocks to stay home on Election Day. That's a worrisome message for the nation's first African-American president, who can't afford to lose any voters from his base in a tight race.

First...It is always fun to see the headline on Newsmax and then hunt down THE ACTUAL AP HEADLINE..

Newsmax and your OP:
AP - Black Pastors Say 'Stay Home' on Election Day

The ACTUAL AP headline:
African-American Christians waver over vote
hosted.ap.org...

I mean if you are going to hack and spin the Headline...then don't use the AP to assign it credibility.

Now on to actual examples the article cites...

Bernard, whose endorsement is much sought-after in New York and beyond, voted for Obama in 2008. He said he's unsure how he'll vote this year.

"Unsure how he'll vote this year"...I thought he was "Staying home" and not voting...and "Unsure"?? That doesn't sound like outrage to me...

any other examples from the article?

It's unclear just how widespread the sentiment is that African-American Christians would be better off not voting at all. Many pastors have said that despite their misgivings about the candidates, blacks have fought too hard for the vote to ever stay away from the polls.

Hmm...this article is looking less like the headline Newsmax made up for it every minute...

Lets see what else...

Still, he said "I would never vote for a man like Romney," because Nelson has been taught in the Southern Baptist Convention that Mormonism is a cult.

Nelson planned to vote and has told others to do the same. He declined to say which candidate he would support.

"Because of those that made sacrifices in days gone by and some greater than others with their lives. It would be totally foolish for me to mention staying away from the polls," he said in an email exchange.

As a matter of fact, if you read the whole article, almost everyone they talked to looked to be continuing to support Pres. Obama and still planning to vote.

African American Christians have issue with Mormonism on two fronts...both religious and race, since Mormanism has a history of racism toward African Americans....PLUS the pastors even mentioned how it seemed frustrating that with Romney...questions about his church have been deemed off-limits...while President Obama was held to a much different standard with Rev. Jeremiah Wright.

No...when you read the actual article...President Obama isn't in any danger among African-American Christians and the get out the vote initiatives are still in full swing.

They just grumbled a little over his endorsing of gay marriage....That is why the word "Waver" makes sense, but Newsmax's edit of the Headline is disconnected from the article.

But hey --- Most folks only read the Headline...right??
edit on 17-9-2012 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-9-2012 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 05:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Your touching on gay rights and lawful union for gay couples.....to me thats a petty issue...even a nonissue of sorts as it does not immediatly effect the lives of the majority. Economic woes and warfare do...rising food prices do....affordable healthcare that makes sense does (and obama care does not make sense in its current model but we wont talk about that.), the fact that our money is useless at this point does.

Gay rights is not a issue that is needed right now for gay people to survive...all obama did was appease a voter base....thats about it....just like he did with illegal latinos leaching off the system.

In that respect you have not shown me what Obama has done to foster societal change for the better...in any respect....all you gave me was some petty issue about gay rights......which is great if youre gay....alas most of the country is not...and a fair majority doesnt really care in this day and age as it does not effect them.

gay people should be able to do what they want like anyone else....but thats not what Im talking about in response to your claim.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 05:41 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Personally, I would tell Black America, and ALL colors of America to stay home, or vote third Party. Not like minorities have anywhere to go, anyways........

Los Angeles and Washington — Friday's dismal job report included some bleak figures for black and Latino workers, which were harder hit by the economic recession and continue to struggle in regaining their footing in the labor market. Black unemployment now stands at 13.6%, up from 13% the month before; for Latinos, the unemployment rate rose to 11% from 10.3% in April.

In dismal jobs report, unemployment rate of minority workers rises

S&F

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 06:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Kastogere

Originally posted by Kastogere
Your touching on gay rights and lawful union for gay couples.....to me thats a petty issue...even a nonissue of sorts as it does not immediatly effect the lives of the majority.

Yeah, I'm talking about gay rights in the context of the OP and your question was about SOCIAL progress. It's WHY some people are (supposedly) thinking of staying home. Read the OP.

edit on 9/18/2012 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 07:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

What President Obama has Done for the Gay Community
No big surprise since Obama is gay himself, who do you think Reggie Love is????

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 08:11 AM
link   

I understood the context of the OP and what youre saying....I was merely commenting on the petty reason for telling people not to vote...when I can think of lots of other things more worthy to stay home for on election day.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 08:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Kastogere

Ah! I see. Sorry I didn't understand your point.

It may seem like a petty issue to you (and it doesn't affect me), but to people who think the government should dictate morals, or to gay people who want the same rights as straight people, OR to people who wish to distract the voters, I can see how they might consider it to be an important issue.

I agree with you that there are other, more critical issues to be dealt with, one being GET US OUT OF AFGHANISTAN, but to stray from the OP and go off into what "Obama hasn't done for you" is really not the topic of the thread. At all.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 08:42 AM
link   
I love the people here automatically assuming that these are right-wing evangelicals. The article lists two pastor's political affiliation...and they're both Democrats. You people are hilarious.

Originally posted by Kaploink

Originally posted by FlyersFan

Obama is pro abortion

Obama is pro-choice. Which means he believes it's up to the individual women to make decisions about her body.

Pro-abortion is a term used to make those that are pro-choice appear like they want everyone to abort their children. Which is in no way true. It's a purposely misleading label.
edit on 17-9-2012 by Kaploink because: (no reason given)

No, pro-choice is the misleading label. It's a fluffy, fuzzy term to created allow women to sleep at night while promoting abortion. Pro-choice meant, means, and will mean one thing: a woman's decision for herself about abortion.

/TOA

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 08:52 AM
link   
reply to post by The Old American

Originally posted by The Old American
I love the people here automatically assuming that these are right-wing evangelicals.

Nobody said that. They are Democratic Evangelicals. No one said they were right-wing...

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 09:00 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

This is so funny Fyers, here we are in the US debating our so call freedom of speech and the Constitution since the violence in the middle east and all the propaganda against US, and there comes the Ugly face of our own home base radical fundamentalist Christians telling people to stay home and give away one of their most value freedoms to chose a government, the irony, I guess when it comes to the truth colors of fundamentalism we are not better than Islam on how the religious groups or may I say the "clergy" control the masses

Irony indeed.

But hey, they can stay at home for what I care.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Even if those african americans stay home on election day doesn't mean they won't be voting.

The Democrats are probably already working on ID cards using their names to hand to illegal immigrants to vote FOR them.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 09:38 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 10:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Carseller4

I wish I could give you whatever the opposite of a star is.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Q2IN2Y

Sadly while a very sarcastic post, I have to say that been in the south in GA, he is actually telling some truth, the welfare state have increased dramatically under Obama and is affecting blacks and Latinos the most.

Government dependence, which is defined as the percentage of persons receiving one or more federal benefit payments, is at a staggering 47%, its highest level in American history, while 21 million households are reliant on food stamps. In fact, government spending on food stamps in 2010 ($68 billion) was double what it was in 2007, with the 2011 figure likely to be even higher.

According to the August employment report from the Department of Labor, the nation's unemployment rate remained at 9.1% with a total of zero jobs added to the economy during the month. Among demographic groups, Latinos had an unemployment rate of 11.3%, while African-Americans posted a rate of 16.7%. For blacks, that represents the highest unemployment rate for this group since 1984 and a rate more than double that of whites (8%).

Read more: www.americanthinker.com...

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
After the many black AND white kids and activists gave everything from time to their very lives to see the Black man in this nation get a vote and a fully equal footing, I say FOR SHAME on this guy to be calling for people to stay home and willingly toss what came SO HARD for more than one entire generation involved in the fight.

Choosing to simply not show up doesn't stop the game being called for someone...it just insures you, as a citizen, will have 0 chance to have any say in it. From City Councilman and local bond issue to the Electoral College delegate choices. It's throwing the whole game in protest of one race on the ballot...and people who would? Can just stay home EVERY election, as far as I'm concerned. Cherry picking participation is how politicians ran wild to get here.

Letting them run wild even further for lack of even bothering to try and say something by a vote.....is accepting whatever comes next with a handshake and a smile.

These pastors should be telling them to vote third party which is the only real way to limit the power of republican and democratic parties. If Christians and others don't realize by now politicians lie in both parties be it democrats or republicans. I see the "party" system as the way it is now as a systemic issue for democracy.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by skepticconwatcher

These are a handful of right wing Black Evangelical preachers.

You stand corrected.

Not much more to say. So, 2nd line.

/TOA

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Yea, I get that...but still in respect to the black pastors focusing on the gay issue and not on how Obama has actually made things worse for the lives of blacks to begin with outside of that.....

Yet I do agree with you.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheOneElectric
The ignorant can stay home, it won't affect the willing and those looking forward for social progress.

I don't want those ignorant votes touching mine anyways

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
reply to post by Q2IN2Y

Sadly while a very sarcastic post, I have to say that been in the south in GA, he is actually telling some truth, the welfare state have increased dramatically under Obama and is affecting blacks and Latinos the most.

Government dependence, which is defined as the percentage of persons receiving one or more federal benefit payments, is at a staggering 47%, its highest level in American history, while 21 million households are reliant on food stamps. In fact, government spending on food stamps in 2010 ($68 billion) was double what it was in 2007, with the 2011 figure likely to be even higher.

According to the August employment report from the Department of Labor, the nation's unemployment rate remained at 9.1% with a total of zero jobs added to the economy during the month. Among demographic groups, Latinos had an unemployment rate of 11.3%, while African-Americans posted a rate of 16.7%. For blacks, that represents the highest unemployment rate for this group since 1984 and a rate more than double that of whites (8%).

Read more: www.americanthinker.com...

Urrr

Welfare has increased because the economy went off the cliff

750,000 lost a month

Gee, you think more people are on welfare??? hummmm???

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   
It won't happen.

What's more likely to happen is tons of black voters show up only to find out they have been disenfranchised by GOP voter I.D. laws. In Ohio, in Pennsylvania, in Florida.

If these pastors truly cared for their flock, they would be helping to make sure they are eligible to vote - for anyone at all.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join