It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Archaeologists Excavate Ancient Maya Center at Chan Chich, Belize

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 05:49 AM
link   
And another Maya center is ready to be excavated after being tucked away for years.
Hope this one will bring new artifacts, historie and mystery to the already big catalog of Mayan culture.

popular-archaeology.com...
Original source

Tucked away within a dense jungle shroud near the Guatemalan border in Belize are the remains of a largely unexplored ancient Maya center known as Chan Chich.
The site is best known to the public and to tourists as the location of a top-ranked eco-lodge by the same name.
Less known, however, is evidence of a likely array of ancient temples, tombs and artifacts that still rest mostly unseen beneath thick vegetation and rubble that has cloaked their features through centuries of time.

But unfortunately and as allways, the looters have allready been there.

Like so many other Maya sites, it was a target for looters. When rediscovered, three structures thought to be temples showed strong evidence of looting -- vertical slit trenches were dug into their sides.
A large temple in the site's Upper Plaza area, perhaps the main temple, showed clear signs of intrusion into one or more burial chambers. This temple features a painted frieze that skirts around a low interior ceiling.

Excavation of the site has allready been done back in 1996, but further work on the site will continue in 2013.

In 1997, the Chan Chich Archaeological Project excavated a Terminal Preclassic/Early Classic period Maya tomb at Chan Chich, Belize. Tomb 2 represents the earliest royal tomb in the Three Rivers Region of the east-central Yucatan Peninsula and has striking similarities to Burial 85 at Tikal, the tomb of the dynastic founder Yax Ehb' Xook. . Tomb 2 is also an example of an early royal burial pattern that may be more widespread than believed but has been overlooked due to excavation bias.

And if you would like to take a small vacation near the site, that can be arranged.

Chan Chich lodge, Belize

Located deep in the forested northwestern corner Belize, Chan Chich Lodge is an elegant and luxurious retreat set amongst the plazas of the Chan Chich Maya ruins and surrounded on all sides by unexcavated pyramids and the largest contiguous forest north of the Amazon basin. One of the most remote and unique properties in Belize, Chan Chich offers excellent value and a wonderful array of nature–oriented activities.

edit on 17-9-2012 by Mianeye because: Spelling and such

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 05:55 AM
link   
wow. nice find.

One can only wonder what happened in the past which have shaped our course of life through out our history.

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 06:06 AM
link   
Theyre gonna find new calendars

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 06:21 AM
link   
This could get interesting...and as noted, what do they call Calendars excavated in 2013? A day late and a dollar short?

I don't care about looters, personally. What I'm waiting for them to find or find evidence of has nothing to do with jewelry or whatever bobbles the people back then thought worth stuffing their tombs with. The history inscribed on the walls ...that won't likely have been carted off. It takes theiv...err....Archeologists...of the 21st century to loot whole walls and parts of structures. So...eventually, and hopefully soon (I'm not getting younger!) they start finding some real records of history before that 12 thousand year(ish) mark.. I'm dying to know more than myth and rumor....and somewhere, something has to have recorded it better than we've seen yet. Here's hoping for this site showing more.

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 07:55 AM
link   
Awesome find op!!!

I await the day we find out the maya were connected to Atlantis!!!

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 08:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Mianeye

Great thread OP. Very interesting.

S&F

Rev

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Its sad that many governments around the world do not allocate enough budget and resources to preserve and study the remnants from the ancient civilizations. Good post. S&F.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 12:52 AM
link   
If I had the money, I'd do it... Probably. I'd have to get accepted to the school, but I think I could do that. Sounds fun, or like an interesting adventure at least, even if the work I'd be doing, I'm guessing, is mundane most of the time. Honestly, I'd like to accidentally get "lost" and have to do some "looking around" to find my way back. Not the most scientifically organized, which it sounds like the work offered is, but I'd post findings here!

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by japhrimu
If I had the money, I'd do it... Probably. I'd have to get accepted to the school, but I think I could do that. Sounds fun, or like an interesting adventure at least, even if the work I'd be doing, I'm guessing, is mundane most of the time. Honestly, I'd like to accidentally get "lost" and have to do some "looking around" to find my way back. Not the most scientifically organized, which it sounds like the work offered is, but I'd post findings here!

You sound like a natural field survey person....but you are correct much of archaeology tends to be mundane and tad boring...but ultimately quite interesting!

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 01:07 AM
link   

new topics

join