It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Romney To Outline How He Would Govern

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 03:31 AM
link   

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Mitt Romney will seek this week to explain more about what he would do as president, a strategy shift intended to change the trajectory of a race that President Barack Obama appears to be winning.

The shift comes as Republicans openly fret about the state of their nominee's campaign and press Romney to give voters a clearer sense of how he would govern. It also comes as polls show Obama with an edge nationally and in key states, and amid reports of infighting at the Boston-based campaign.

The new ads will highlight Romney's plan to create 12 million jobs, cut the deficit and allow the nation to become energy independent. Wisconsin Rep. Paul Ryan, Romney's running mate, will focus on the debt and deficit in a series of campaign appearances. It's all aimed at giving voters a clearer picture of what Romney would do as president, advisers said.

Then violence erupted in Egypt and Libya, prompting Romney to put out a statement criticizing the Obama administration before it was known that an American ambassador had died in the attacks. Romney doubled down on his criticism in a press conference the next day.

That drew criticism from both Democrats and Republicans alike. Several in his party, including Arizona Sen. John McCain, have urged Romney to give a major foreign affairs speech laying out his critique of Obama.

The new push follows a Sunday story on the Politico website detailing infighting among Romney's senior staffers. Campaign advisers worked to downplay those tensions, and to insist the campaign is still on track.

Source

Another tantalizing development in a string of rapid breaking news lately. Is Mitt finally going to lay out some cement statements about the policies he would pursue if elected?

To be honest, given other developments of late, I have not been paying much attention to domestic politics for the past couple of weeks. I was not even aware that Romney was falling behind. I can only wonder if this is just another knee-jerk, poll based trick - or if it is the point where we finally get down to some meat and potatoes facts?

I cannot wait to see what these ads have to say - if anything. November is fast approaching and, with the state of our world today - this election could determine much more than many of us think.

~Heff

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 03:53 AM
link   
I'd love to say that it is about time but I think this 'new strategy' is probably too late to save him. Early voting has already started in at least one state and that is going to pick up in other states over the next few weeks. By the time election day rolls around, 1/3 of the votes will have already been cast.

And, I when I look at and ponder all the polls, I don't see that there are really any more votes to gain. A nominee can only hope, at this point, not to lose ground. In the swing states that still are iffy polling wise, more than half are showing economic upturn (I think it is something like 6 out of 9 have lower than national average unemployment). If that is true, then a lot of constituents that he hopes to sway are much better off than they were four years ago under Bush.

I could add more but that stuff is all pertinent now and yesterday. Maybe Romney's idea to actually put forth some plans rather than just attempting to affirm the votes that he has by default (the anyone but President Obama camp) will actually sway some people. I'm rather tired of his empty campaign blurbs. It is about time he stopped preaching to the choir and offers something of substance.

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 04:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

This cracks me up every time I see it. Not only does he insult gay people and veterans in the span of 3 minutes he also says equal rights for everyone is unconstitutional. Wow. I honestly don't see him winning if he keeps this kind of thing up.

edit on 17-9-2012 by billy197300 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 04:11 AM
link   

The thing is.. who could trust anything he says. I mean, he has zero credibility.. He has been pro choice for state funded abortions, then he flipped for the GOP. He was at odds with the NRA (to the point that thfey supported a Dem over him a decade ago) so now he is a lifelond NRA member. He was pro gun control, now he is against it. He was against Obama's healthcare plan now he is only against parts and is going to put his own healthcare plan (likely the one that Obamacare was based off of) into action. He says he will keep pre existing condition coverage (ya know guuuys, the good part!) while ending the individual mandate which is impossible as they rely on each other.

He just lies too much, not to mention being a big government, war mongering, neo con. Doesn't matter what he says he just doesn't have credibility. Not to mention we have never had someone this out of touch with the american people (he just said he though middle income americans (50,000 a year) make between 200,000 and 250,000 (and less lol) a year. Then he back tracked to say he meant house holds which makes the number.. well still waaaay off.

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 04:19 AM
link   
As of Sunday, Romney's up by 1 in Rasmussen with 7% undecided or third party. Check the weighting of any polls that show Obama with a significant lead. By that I mean, do they, as in one very recent poll, choose 13% more Democrats than Republicans? That's a totally ridiculous figure.

As far as Romney clearly spelling out his policies, that's a good idea. Everybody should do that. Has Obama clearly spelled out his policies? Has he offered any details on foreign policy, individual rights in America, how he will deal with the budget? He may very well have, I just don't remember seeing them. If you could point me to them, I'd be grateful.

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 04:23 AM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

I would love to see him spell them out because I honestly don't know if he can. However even if it comes to pass.. I just don't see how or why anyone would trust him. He is almost as bad as Newt (only because Romney hasn't promised Florida the Moon again) for saying whatever a particular crowd wants to hear.
edit on 17-9-2012 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 04:34 AM
link   
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

Dear GogoVicMorrow,

Hi, guy! Nice to see you again.

I would love to see him spell them out because I honestly don't know if he can. However even if it comes to pass.. I just don't see how or why anyone would trust him. He is almost as bad as Newt . . . for saying whatever a particular crowd wants to hear.
That's one of the problems with this election. Now, honestly, and you don't have to respond, couldn't you say precisely that same quote while thinking about Obama?

I'm pretty much willing to let all of this advertising, from either side, slide by, but what that leaves me with is Obama's record. He hasn't done a lot for individual freedoms and liberties, and that's important to me. I've heard people say that he is the best salesman the firearms industry has ever had, and that worries me. For whatever reason, he's been unable to fix the economy. Our status in the world looks definitely shaky, even more so than in 2008.

This isn't meant to sway people to Romney, but to try to explain why flip-flops don't mean as much to me this time around.

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 04:38 AM
link   
Interjecting here - just to voice a thought (Hey, if you work for Obama or Romney, read this because I'm actually a pretty bright guy at times! )... What I would love to see out of either candidate is a straight forward, no frills, no bells and whistles commercial that says:

"I did not allow a Super Pac to pay for this. I did not hire Madison Ave to spin this. I wrote this message myself... America is in a mess right now and these are some of the things I will try to resolve if elected."

If THAT message got played on my TV, I think I would probably make my November decision right then and there.

~Heff

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 04:47 AM
link   

And then they started in with the whole our poor wives are at home doing laundry with the kids fiasco. Which I am sure not only offended every woman in the US but, I just can't help but believe is an all out lie. You know those guys have an illegal mexican woman that can speak like three words of english that they pay a 2 dollar a day salary to doing their laundry and watching the kids. Seriously. Huh? Not WINNING doing things like that.

By the way, I don't endorse that moron that is hosting that show. It's just the only video of it I could find.

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 05:15 AM
link   
reply to post by billy197300

It came out quite a while back that Ann's tough stay-at-home mom job actually involved 5 "domestic helpers". That's just another nail in the out of touch coffin. I've been a stay-at-home mom. The only domestic helpers we had was the kids and they're not very good at it!

I think it's probably too late for Mitt. Hidden tax returns, offshore accounts, outsourcing, insulting entire countries AND groups of people, no laid out plan, out of touch, flip-flops... He's done more to help the Democratic campaign than any other candidate!

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 05:30 AM
link   

I cannot wait to see what these ads have to say - if anything. November is fast approaching and, with the state of our world today - this election could determine much more than many of us think.

Brief question. I would really like to know, why do you believe that the outcome of elections in november would have any real effect on internal or foreign politics, given that the guidelines for these politics have been thought out and designed long before both candidates had any significant political power.
In 2008 we had a candidate promising Hope and Change, only to follow these guidelines exactly to the point. Why would it be so different this time?

If THAT message got played on my TV, I think I would probably make my November decision right then and there.

Really? Knowing what you know, you would believe them?

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 05:36 AM
link   
reply to post by talklikeapirat

Originally posted by talklikeapirat

Brief question. I would really like to know, why do you believe that the outcome of elections in november would have any real effect on internal or foreign politics, given that the guidelines for these politics have been thought out and designed long before both candidates had any significant political power.
In 2008 we had a candidate promising Hope and Change, only to follow these guidelines exactly to the point. Why would it be so different this time?

A change in party - or balance of power could easily result in a rewriting of the script. As could a charismatic and motivated leader. There are historical precedents for this in fairly recent US history. Barack Obama appeared to have such a chance - but either failed at it, or lied about it to begin with.

Originally posted by talklikeapirat

Really? Knowing what you know, you would believe them?

Belief in politicians is a commodity I have very little left to bargain with. But hope that a POTUS might rise above the corruption and govern with integrity? That is still a remote, but potential thing. A second term Obama could suddenly become a powerhouse. A first term Romney might gain office, be debriefed, and find himself morally outraged by the truth of things.

Neither are probable but both are possible.

~Heff

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 06:02 AM
link   
Personally Romney is damaged goods. Part of me feels that a good portion of the GOP thinks putting Romney at the head of the ticket is the best way to destroy him and run him from politics for good. But the far right has taken hold of the reins and have taken to whipping their horse in this race, blood on the hind quarters be damned. They seem to think it is the horses fault that they are falling behind in the race when in reality it is the jockey. It is a sad state to watch.

But I guess as the saying goes, you just cannot see the picture when you are standing in the frame. I think the damage has already been done and unless President Obama makes a huge blunder or there is some October Surprise waiting in the wings, there is absolutely nothing Romney can say to change minds that have already been made up.

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 07:49 AM
link   

A change in party - or balance of power could easily result in a rewriting of the script.

This is in all honesty not meant to be offensive- But at this point in time, one thing is really hard to grasp for me about american politics , especially presidental elections.

This all reminds me of wrestling contests, all is staged and scripted. It is a pretty convincing show for the audience. But for those who know, that they are not witnessing a real fight, still to believe the winner is legitimate, appears to be (dangerously) foolish.

The epitome and the best example for me, was the Reagan Presidency, the man was an actor. He was given a script, he played his role and people believed him.

I dont think Romney has any moral integrity , that could be challenged once he is in office and that Obama is not the one he'd promised to be, should be undoubtedly clear.
They, like most of the presidental candidates in recent history, are like actors too, their egos make them susceptible to the delusion they would hold real power. That might be one of the reasons why they were chosen.

“The real rulers in Washington are invisible and exercise power from behind the scenes.” US Supreme Court Justice Felix Frankfurter

Power, even in Dictatorships, can not be be forcefully taken without some degree of compliance.

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 07:56 AM
link   
reply to post by talklikeapirat

I don't disagree at all with your words, or your disillusionment with our system here in the US. You've got it pegged. But there have been a few Presidents, over the course of our history, who simply refused to play the game. Some did so over singular issues, others just imposed their will and got what they wanted on more than one issue.

Both Roosevelts, Kennedy, and even Clinton ( to a lesser degree ) come to mind.

If the current trend towards destabilization in the world continues, then I truly do pray that we have a leader in office, when the time comes, who will have the fortitude to impose his will and make some positive changes happen - whether the status-quo crowd likes it or not.

It is not a patent impossibility. Such a man might end up losing power or even dying over such a stand. But it is possible for a POTUS to make one.

~Heff

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 09:24 AM
link   

It's a complex concept - one I cover in several of my authored threads. And the short answer is "Not entirely". We are raised to be proud - to attach labels to ourselves, ones that we cherish. Patriot, family man, hard worker, nice guy, whatever...

Once we begin to put stock in those labels, others are then empowered to trick us into things because they can use our own egos to manipulate us.

Our emotions are our Achilles tendon. Our weak spot. They are the open nerve that TPTB are experts at pushing.

Profound words- and i still salute you for the thread.
To delay once again that people would come to these realisations and draw the consequences, is one other reason why i think Obama were chosen.

I regard to be disillusioned as a very healthy state and i hope as many people as possible act on the lesson of the past, in the coming months.

Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.
Douglas Adams

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

Yeah, you could say the same, however I personally think we will be worse under a Romney presidency and I only have to deal with Obama for 4 more years guaranteed. With Romney I have a possible 8. Also, Romney is very very similar to Obama, except he is out to help a richer breed of people with our money. Do you know if it's true that Romneycare made Mass require a bailout (from Obama admin) because I had read that somewhere.

They are both the problem, but Romney is a more disgusting face of it. I don't want either of them, no will I vote for either, but I can honestly say I really don't want Romney, it's not hard to look at his statements and actions and see that we are in for trouble with him.

Flip flops should mean something when they are on issues that aren't even in regard to the economy. Abortion, gun control, etc. Oh I guess there was one economic flip flop, when he went from "repeal Obamacare" to "repeal Obamacare to replace it with Romneycare (the healthcare plan which spawned Obamacare). Romney is just saying what he thinks we want to hear. He can't promise pre existing condition coverage and promise to get rid of individual mandate (the gop's baby btw) at the same time.

Also, I admit, it honestly makes me a little nervous when the guy trying to create economic policy and tax policy sincerely thinks that the middle class makes 250,000/200,000 a year. Even with his lame backpedal of "i mean't households." Hell backpedal only brings it down from blind lunacy to a deep madness.
edit on 17-9-2012 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 04:19 PM
link   
While Barry is every bit the liar of Mittens, there is just a well-heeled liar quality to Mittens that just rubs me the wrong way to no end. When he had toured the greater Philly area and was in some inner city schools... it was just atrocious!

Derek

top topics

join