It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are we about to enter an ultra-conservative time period?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 02:37 AM
link   
This is just something to think about, I want to get a feel for what people think and see for themselves.

Is it possible that religion will resurface as a driving force in society?
Is it possible that there will once again be pressure to be part of "the machine?"
Is it possible that feminism will collapse, and men will once again treat women as objects?
Is it possible that atheism will collapse as well?

I think all of this might happen because neither atheism or feminism took into account the nature of the masculine, instead preferring to deny its existence.

Thoughts anyone?

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 02:49 AM
link   
Everything possible is.

I certainly hope not.

Is it possible that there will once again be pressure to be part of "the machine?"

I have never seen that pressure gone in the first place.
But I guess it also depends on what kind of "the machine" you are referring to. Perhaps we are thinking about two different concepts.

Is it possible that feminism will collapses, and men will once again treat women as objects?

I think it is possible. But just because feminism collapse, does not have to mean that women will be treated as objects. I have seen very different levels of feminism, from the rights to equal salary to the "kill all men" versions. I believe in women rights to equality, but still, men and women will always be different in many ways.
That is how we are created.

Edit:
I grew up in a home with my father working very hard to provide for the family and my mother staying at home taking care of us children, cooking and taking care of the household (working just as hard).
I am raised with the "fact" that that is how a good, healty and stabile family works. Some women would argue against this as something going against the feminist "agenda", but I do not see any problem with a situation like the one mentioned above.
Just because a man and women have these basis, does not mean that there is no respect, love or equality in the relationship. I believe it is healthy for the kids to have a mother whom is at home, supporting them and setting up a solid family and foundation. In a sense, the women this way provides a very important role.
The man provides economical stability and the women provides a mental stability for the children.
It all comes together creating what I think children needs to grow up and becoming good individuals.
Though when it comes to the first years of a child´s life, I think it is very important that both parents take turns to be at home 24/7 for longer periods, but not all people are lucky enough to be able to have the luxury of doing that.

Personally I would love to be a permanent stay-at-home-dad, with the wife working. Does that mean I am a feminist?

I think Sachyriel answered this question very good.

edit on 17-9-2012 by LiberalSceptic because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 02:54 AM
link   
The question immediately brings up thoughts of Sharia Law mixed with parts of the Patriot Act.

No I don't think it's possible for it to resurge into the mainstream here because too many have opened up to the point we are at now, and it is only getting stronger as time passes by.

Maybe not the same idea within Middle Eastern nations where they are raised religious all round.
edit on 17-9-2012 by yourmaker because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 02:56 AM
link   
Atheism can not collapse as it is not an organized religion, it is the lack of a belief in God. You can't collapse that which does not exist.

Perhaps you mean it is driven underground?

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 03:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by darkbake
This is just something to think about, I want to get a feel for what people think and see for themselves.

Is it possible that feminism will collapse, and men will once again treat women as objects?

I think all of this might happen because neither atheism or feminism took into account the nature of the masculine, instead preferring to deny its existence.

Thoughts anyone?

What I think about those questions.

Religion doesn't have to resurface as a driving force, it is already what drives most things in society. Just look at the state of the world today, If it gains anymore drive, not only will we still be killing each other because of it, we will destroy society completely.

The machine? We are all cogs in the machine in one way or another, whether we realize it or not. No need for pressure. I don't see that changing.

Feminism doesn't need to collapse. Alot of the world still sees women as object or property and women don't have the right to do anything but breed or get beat.

As far as atheism collapsing. With the way things are headed as of right now I could see that happening.The world is going up in flames because of religion as we speak. There may come a time when there is no other option than choosing a side.

Those are just my opinions though.

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 03:07 AM
link   
i would say it never actually stopped, the fore fathers of the US made it
blatantly clear that they did not intend for the US to have a connection
to a religion of any kind, this was perverted not too long afterward tho
and all these claims that the US is a christian nation blah blah blah
ignore this simple fact.

we are still in the midst of a cold war with many religions and a hot
war with some as well, why is there any mention of god on our money?
why do we have idiotic laws against gay couples having civil unions?
why do pretty much all candidates for office have to be part of some
religion or another? why do people still believe that god thinks this
country is special? etc etc etc

but yes i will say im also afraid of things slipping backwards allot and
religion being an even bigger factor in things yet again. and that will
be a sad day for sure. its sad really that we as humans are more moral
than any of these gods people claim to believe in. that alone should
show that flawed human thinking was what created all religions.

ive said this before in another thread, i in some ways wish that if you
want to be part of a religion then you should have to submit to a court
of law based on that religion, i think this alone would be more than enough
to dissuade people from holding onto those insane beliefs, the first
time they had to murder their child because he disobeyed them would
be about all it would take id say.

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 03:07 AM
link   
reply to post by darkbake

Tough question. I think it would be more likely that religion would return than the other three outcomes. Heck, look at the world and you'll soon be saying prayers left and right.

But I'm curious about something. What's your time frame? The next five years? The next hundred? That would make a big difference.

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 03:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by bloodreviara

ive said this before in another thread, i in some ways wish that if you
want to be part of a religion then you should have to submit to a court
of law based on that religion, i think this alone would be more than enough
to dissuade people from holding onto those insane beliefs, the first
time they had to murder their child because he disobeyed them would
be about all it would take id say.

This is already happening. Billions of people in many many countries follow sharia law. Same here, do you swear to tell the truth, the whole truth, so help you God? Sound familiar? It doesn't dissuade people at all. They eat it up like it's candy.
edit on 17-9-2012 by billy197300 because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-9-2012 by billy197300 because: add

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 03:23 AM
link   

it sounds a bit like a return to the iron age

i'm off to fetch my axe, can i be the vikings?

seriously though, i hope not, not too much anyway... for me, advances in science and technology are the root/catalyst behind the changes in society you raise - things changing is a given as that's life, but i feel religion could well adapt a bit and as an outsider i feel that is probably happening in the US.... also, in many parts of the world religion is still clearly a major driving force in society.
i dont see athiesm or feminism taking much of a bash really either, obviously "everything possible is"

but i dont see the collapse neccessary to bring this about as being just around the corner.....

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 06:57 AM
link   
Thanks everyone for your input, this turned out to be an awesome thread with a lot of good discussion and productive thoughts. I'm impressed : )

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 08:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by skalla

for me, advances in science and technology are the root/catalyst behind the changes in society you raise

This is true. Scientific discoveries gave us pretty much everything that makes modern life modern: sanitation, plumbing, medicines that keep us from dying very young, electricity, computers, telecom, etc. Unfortunately, the religious right in the US has the view that all of science is an attempt to disprove the existence of their very narrow god, and so is an evil which should be suppressed. The public in general do not believe that kind of crap, thank god. They know that if it weren't for science and technology, they wouldn't have pretty much anything that makes their lives easy and pleasant.

Feminism on the other hand has not fared so well. Feminism has become such a dirty word that there is an actual movement to clean it up and try to re-convince women that they're more than sex objects and baby factories who must at all costs ensure that they are sexually valuable to males. Admittedly there are very few women who wouldn't object vociferously indeed to such a characterization, but actions speak louder than words. Patriarchal misogyny is still very much alive and well, and feminism is on life-support. This comes largely from the movement's hijacking by some women who very much hate men, and for whom equal is not good enough. And they're loud bitches, at that. So when the religious right continuously identified feminism with "immorality" of all flavors, and then made sure that such "immorality" was largely sanctioned against and villified in the public mind, it wasn't so difficult for the general public to start agreeing that feminism was just a bunch of angry, spoiled lesbians who thought they were better than all men and het women. Ironically making things like abortion, het female sexuality, and other common-woman issues into reasons that a woman could be scorned by her loved ones with no further discussion.

As for atheism... I do not believe that atheism is any more a positive force than any other heavily dogmatic belief. And it has gotten to be quite heavy. I shall leave it at that.

I can understand why the OP would start such a thread. I used to see that kind of thinking in action every day where I grew up. I still have the lingering paranoia that everyone is like the people I grew up fearing, and that our society is one misstep from living in The Handmaid's Tale. I would like to think that such a world will not exist, because the majority of people, if not a little blind to the things that go on around them, at least will not accept obvious injustices and destructive oppression to actually rip through their lives without enough protest to shut 'er down.

edit on 17-9-2012 by lycosa because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Highly unlikely that we are about to enter an ultra-conservative time period.

Religion's hold on the greater worldwide population is continuing to diminish as youth adopt a more secular lifestyle and those who were once religious begin to lean more towards mere observance. In other words, religion as a tool for control is becoming less effective and more and more people are starting to see a secular lifestyle as the more attractive choice.

There is already immense pressure to be "part of the machine" but it is no longer a religious machine. Today's machine is economic slavery. Religion is becoming outdated and redundant for billions of people around the world and this trend is growing.

Feminism has been a double-edged sword for women. If Feminism were to collapse, I do not see it affecting their ability to enjoy the rights and freedoms they currently enjoy in most parts of the world. Feminism's original goals were reached and it has become a redundant movement ever since. It currently serves as an agitator.

It would take a highly extravagant global event to convince the growing number of irreligious people around the world to adopt the belief in a deity.
edit on 17/9/2012 by Dark Ghost because: formatting

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sachyriel
Atheism can not collapse as it is not an organized religion, it is the lack of a belief in God. You can't collapse that which does not exist.

Let me introduce you to "Atheism Plus", which is a bit more than a lack of belief in God. The lines in the atheist community are being drawn, with one side looking more and more like a religion every day.

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by adjensen

Originally posted by Sachyriel

Let me introduce you to "Atheism Plus", which is a bit more than a lack of belief in God. The lines in the atheist community are being drawn, with one side looking more and more like a religion every day.

Agreed. Any word with an 'ism' as a suffix implies there is an ideological purpose or system. If one requires the label 'atheist,' he is indeed making claim to a belief system.

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by darkbake

Thoughts anyone?

1) It depends on your definition of religion, doesn't it? I don't think religion as we know it will resurface as a driving force in society, though it will always be around. I think if we look at environmentalism, humanism, spiritualism- those things can be turned into a religious thing quite easily. Keep your religion so long as you are also adhering to the x,y,z dictates of society. So, I would say it is quite possible.

2) Pressure to be part of 'the machine' is huge. The trend away from individualism has been going on for a while. It's okay to be an individual so long as that doesn't impose on the whole- is the driving theme. Working together, being dependent on the government, etc.

3) As far as feminism goes- I think most of the world never embraced feminism to begin with. So, women as objects and legal non-persons isn't anything new. I see a world where everyone (including women) have personal freedoms, your personal life will still be your own, but your public life will be dictated by how well you plug into the machine. Standards of dress may be imposed on everyone.

4) Atheism will never go away. Same concept as religion. You will be allowed to be an atheist so long as you also adhere to x,y,z dictates of society.

So- I envision a world where everyone can believe and do as they please on their own time, but must give a nod to faux modesty and whatever values (sacred cow de jeur) is foisted upon them in the public sphere by TPTB. It won't be sold as conservative- but as fairness and conservation/austerity. Example, we can't have the poor feeling bad because they can't afford expensive clothes, so all women must wear black abayas (or whatever). We can't sustain our population and environmental concerns are so huge that we must give up our homes and move to smaller apartments in cities (UN agenda 21).

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Why are you even questioning whether it's possible or not. Everything is possible, so all the possibilities you have listed are prone to happen one way or the other. As for the question that you have put on the thread title, it certainly would not happen again. This is because society has made sure that the rights of religion, sex, and masculinity has been eased to accept the more feminine approach.

You are wrong about that the feminism does not take the approach of the nature of masculine. That would be against the nature of the feminist. They are an incorrect feminist and only seek social justice. A real feminist, would take the approach of both. Unless human civilization crashes and everyone loses all their knowledge and memory. The likelihood of atheism crashing is very slim, but it is in the nature of the human mind to understand it all. So that does not stop the fact, that religion could be an uphold to people. All in all, do not worry about silly things like that. Masculinity and religion had it's time in human history.

It all began in the womb and it will continue going back to it.

join