It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Really Enjoyed My Sermon Today

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 12:34 AM
link   
Anyone who knows my ATS moniker probably knows that I am a Christian and preach some Sundays. I really enjoyed myself today. The lead pastor was out and I had three weeks to prepare. I was going to teach on patience and as I was driving in decided I would preach on something else. I decided to preach on being in service to one another, what we as the church are called to do. The church has a very targeted audience and I am there to preach to the one's that don't fit the target. It is like being the opening act for U2, people are going, yeah, when does the headliner come on. LOL. Tough gig.

Anyways, I had this idea. I decided to interrupt the worship service (usually 30 minutes) and have someone get me coffee. 30 minutes before the service began, I called the worship leader and told him I wanted to interrupt him and try something different, he trusted me and said go for it. I did. I am sorry if your church isn't fun, God wants us to learn and be joyful, I love pushing the envelope I interrupted the singing and said that I needed a cup of coffee and asked if someone would go get it for me, a young lady stood up and said yes. I gave her $5 and told her how I wanted the coffee (two sugars and one cream). After she left I told everyone that they had just seen the most Christian act of the day, she saw a need and met it. I liked my approach. I preach before a audience that speaks a different language, tough gig; but, they got it.

It was fun and I enjoyed myself and people really got it. They don't come to hear me, they come to hear our Pastor; but, I got them and it felt great to know that I had conveyed something to them. The other elder called me tonight and told me how I made him thing about things. It felt great. I don't know if this belongs in the religion section, I almost considered the rant section, I couldn't find a joy section.

There is a woman in our church, she does not want to hear anyone at any church other than our Pastor. She tolerated me at first, at best. Somehow I got to her, she decided she liked me and what I have to say. Language is quite a barrier, I need a translator. Today she said that she was always happy to hear me and had no problems with me at all, everything I did was okay with her. It made my heart smile.

You don't have to believe in God, like me or agree with me on anything, I just wanted to share my joy with you. I never felt the call to preach, I agreed to do it because there was a need. I cannot say that I love it, I do it and I mean it and I give my best. I am firm in my faith and not afraid to defend it, I prefer defending it, I can do that. I do not feel inspirational and I do not feel called to preach; but, if I am going to preach I want it to matter.

I asked the congregation why I should be there. I asked them how I could be of service to them when they were there to hear someone else. I told them that it was there church and that I felt like a stranger, that I needed them to tell me what I could offer them. I come away from every sermon asking myself how I could have done better. I felt good about this one, I think I hit a home run. I know I could have done better; but, a home run is acceptable.

I never wanted to preach, I never felt the calling; but, it is surely a great feeling to know I got it right for once.I don't feel great because I was perfect, I feel great because I didn't completely fail. Any success is good. I hope you can share my joy with me.

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 12:53 AM
link   
Failure is fertilizer for success! Keep doing what makes you happy and be successful at it.

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 12:55 AM
link   
reply to post by alphaskunk

Thank you.

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 12:57 AM
link   
I like your style.

Sincerely,

A Visual Learner

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 12:58 AM
link   
That was good. Visual demonstration always has a bigger impact on people than talk.

You might have been able to expand that to include your original thought of patience. Pointing out that the people displayed the virtue of patience while you made your coffee order. Might also have been a good time to talk about tolerance, understanding and forgiveness for interrupting the service.

People react favorably when someone points out the positive things they have done. Keep it up. You're on the right track.

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 12:59 AM
link   
reply to post by AQuestion

I'm happy that you are happy and proud.That's great,your doing what you love and believe in....I'm not religious ,Although I support all peaceful purposes....this is ironic because the pastor from the baptist church gave me a car today for letting his flock park on my lot for the last few years.That was very unexpecting...any ways,why don't you record some sermons?....

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 01:10 AM
link   

Dear AQuestion,

Don't worry about what you will say, the Spirit will provide the words. Hmmm, seems like I've heard that somewhere, oh well.

As you pointed out, you were serving as well. It's really hard to describe the excitement and peace, pride and humility, that comes with giving the proper service at the right time. I'm sure you know that comes from a soul composed to do God's will, then taking the opportunity given to do it.

I can't tell you how happy I am for you, O servant of God. Stay strong, faithful and loving. You have many people still to touch.

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 01:10 AM
link   

Failure is fertilizer for success!

Did you just make that up?...I'm gonna throw that one in the books

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 01:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by SarnholeOntarable

Failure is fertilizer for success!

Did you just make that up?...I'm gonna throw that one in the books

Denis Waitley my friend.

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 01:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by N3k9Ni
That was good. Visual demonstration always has a bigger impact on people than talk.

You might have been able to expand that to include your original thought of patience. Pointing out that the people displayed the virtue of patience while you made your coffee order. Might also have been a good time to talk about tolerance, understanding and forgiveness for interrupting the service.

People react favorably when someone points out the positive things they have done. Keep it up. You're on the right track.

Dear Eyegore (N3k9Ni),

I did tie it in with patience, I talked about being patient in developing faith. I talked about faith being an action, I talked about how if they really believe then they will forgive and help others when they see a need. For the first time ever, I am excited about giving my next sermon. I really felt that I connected with people, I mean, I am a good public speaker; but, comedy and church are hard. You don't get a bad day, you get a failure. If I don't hear laughter and see understanding through half of my messages, I think I failed. I would rate today with one of my happiest days of my life. When I met a young woman was one, when I said goodbye to her and got to see her talents, her essence were two more. I felt really good about this, I felt joy and I have not felt that often. I had a great day and wanted to share it with others. Peace.

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 01:18 AM
link   
Brother, You just revved me up and I wasn't even there.
Keep the faith and keep doing what you are doing.
Thanks for sharing!

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 01:22 AM
link   
S&F,

How many forget that Christ himself washed the feet of his followers.

Service as it where is just as important as all other things Christians are called to do.

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 01:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by charles1952

Dear AQuestion,

Don't worry about what you will say, the Spirit will provide the words. Hmmm, seems like I've heard that somewhere, oh well.

As you pointed out, you were serving as well. It's really hard to describe the excitement and peace, pride and humility, that comes with giving the proper service at the right time. I'm sure you know that comes from a soul composed to do God's will, then taking the opportunity given to do it.

I can't tell you how happy I am for you, O servant of God. Stay strong, faithful and loving. You have many people still to touch.

With respect,
Charles1952

Dear Charles1952,

(59 for me). It was amazing for me, I felt so blessed. To have an elder tell me that I blew their mind was special. I love the Lord, am not afraid of anything other that being rejected by him (I feel pretty safe on that one, he said he never would reject me or anyone else); but, for the first time, I felt I conveyed that, his love. I feel so fortunate to have conveyed that. I like being his tool. LOL. As for touching people, I want to go to slab city and die. ROFL, I never get what I want' but, I get what I never knew I wanted. I never thought that I could preach. LOL. I am not pious and I cuss, smoke and drink. I love fighting to teach christians how to be Christians.

A couple of bible stories for your amusement and their understanding. A non-Jew asked Jesus for a favor, he said that they were as a dog, they were non-Jews. They replied that even dogs got table scraps he said they were saved by their faith. Anyone can understand real love. We all understand love, we all understand good and evil, hate and love, it is the justifications for our biases that get in our way. Peace.

new topics

top topics

join