6 NATO jets destroyed in Camp bastion incident

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 08:00 PM
link   
An organized group of 15 militants dressed in US Army uniforms attacked a NATO base in Afghanistan killing 2 and wounding 8 while also destroying 6 jets and damaging 2 others. 14 of the 15 attackers were killed while 1 was taken into custody by coalition forces.

6 NATO jets destroyed in Camp bastion incident | Pajhwok Afghan News

KABUL (PAN): Six jets were destroyed and two significantly damaged during Friday’s insurgent attack on Camp bastion, the largest NATO base in Afghanistan, the International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) said on Sunday.

Three Coalition refueling stations were also destroyed and six soft-skin aircraft hangars damaged to some degree in the well-coordinated assault involving 15 militants, a statement from the NATO-led force said.

NATO troops engaged the attackers, killing 14 and wounding one who was taken into custody. Two Coalition service members were killed while eight military personnel and one civilian contractor were wounded.

None of their injuries are considered life-threatening. Well-equipped, trained and rehearsed, the attackers were organised into three teams, penetrated at one point of the perimetre fence.

Wearing US Army uniforms and armed with automatic rifles, rocket-propelled grenade launchers and suicide vests, they targeted fixed and rotary wing aircraft parked on the flight line, hangars and other buildings.

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 08:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Swills

I wonder what kind of aircraft, were destroyed?

I expect to see more of this, unfortunately. I am actually surprised that even though they were dressed the part, these "terrorists" were able to get into this base. Could they have had help?

S&F

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

I dunno what aircraft bite the dust but I do know they cost millions upon millions of dollars each, so that's gone. I'm shocked at how easily they got access to the base while dressed as US soldiers, so yeah, I smell something very fishy indeed.

With the recent protest riots and terrorist attacks in the Middle East since the anniversary of September 11 I too suspect we'll see more violence with each passing day. Tensions have been mounting for decades and have only been increasing with each passing year getting worse and worse, so whether planned by design or just the natural flow of things, I think the S is about to HTF.
edit on 16-9-2012 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 08:15 PM
link   
I'll believe it when i see it,same thing i said about Osama
pics or it didn't happen
edit on 16-9-2012 by all2human because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

They were Harriers. Link to article.

www.foxnews.com...

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Swills

An organized group of 15 militants dressed in US Army uniforms attacked a NATO base in Afghanistan killing 2 and wounding 8 while also destroying 6 jets and damaging 2 others. 14 of the 15 attackers were killed while 1 was taken into custody by coalition forces.

Who in the hell did this????

I thought Obama killed Osama and the world was at peace, Swills????

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Good evening!!!!

I have my laptop set to 8 international sights; mostly Middle Eastern, trying to make some sense of our contemporary world. Mind boggling indeed.

Here is a current link to the news from an Afghani paper:

www.pajhwok.com...

Worth the read!!!

Namaste...

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by JMech

Thanks for the info. It seems that its either 2 or 6 jets destroyed. Regardless, its unsettling that they could get into a base, and destroy these aircraft.

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 08:24 PM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

Agreed. I read somewhere they were wearing U.S. uniforms also. Not good.

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 08:25 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

Everything is fine, go back to sleep. We have peace in the Middle East thanks to Obama.....

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by JMech

Agreed. I read somewhere they were wearing U.S. uniforms also. Not good.

It might have been in the OP?

Just a guess!

This isn’t a new tactic. It just goes to show that the enemy there is well organized and determined.

edit on 16-9-2012 by seabag because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Swills
I think the S is about to HTF.

I think when the economy crashes, you will see the wars come.

Just my humble opinion, and one I wish wasn't true.

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Swills

Wearing US Army uniforms and armed with automatic rifles, rocket-propelled grenade launchers and suicide vests, they targeted fixed and rotary wing aircraft parked on the flight line, hangars and other buildings.

Sounds just like the Viet Cong when they attacked US airbases in South Vietnam. These guys knew they weren't going to survive, but they found a dark, quiet spot on the perimeter, cut their way thru and then ran in all different directions, looking for targets of opportunity. Fiercest kind of fighter.

His name is Chuck, cause he don give a fu--! Scariest kind to deal with too. In Vietnam the base could be shutdown for days while they search every inch to see if there are any left hiding. I had a friend who said that he was stationed on one of those bases as security. It was his job to go poking around in every dark corner...

His buddy was killed when he opened an airmen's locker where a guerrilla was hiding and dude blew both of them up with a grenade.

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 08:50 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

Well it is there also
. Sorry I gloss over stuff sometimes. Thanks.

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 09:01 PM
link   
you'd be surprised what constitutes a "base" in afghanistan.

and it was selected because it was vulnerable.

and that's the whole point of war isn't it.

to kill and destroy each other.

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 09:03 PM
link   
reply to post by JMech

The devil is in the details, friend!

With Regard to the OP asking “Could they have had help?” I think the answer is NO. When you go to those lengths then you obviously understand the strengths and weaknesses of the enemy.

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

The Devil is in the details, indeed. It wasn't I who was asking if they had help, that was Sonny, I just smell something fishy

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 09:18 PM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

Speaking of which have you ever heard the story of Battle of Bunker Hill 10 at the Bien Hoa Airbase on January 31st 1968 between Vietcong attackers and US Air Force Security Police?
26 out of 30 SPs were killed or wounded but they killed 139 Vietcong and preventing them from overruning the base.
www.airforce-magazine.com/MagazineArchive/Pages/1985/January 1985/0185valor.aspx

As for this particular attack ... I bet a free lunch that they had help from Afghan turncoats ... this is another one of those "insider attacks" but this time they brought in Taliban and Al Qaeda fighters from the outside as well. Very tough to defend against this unless we want to have NATO troops assume all security duties.

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by sonnny1
reply to post by JMech

Thanks for the info. It seems that its either 2 or 6 jets destroyed. Regardless, its unsettling that they could get into a base, and destroy these aircraft.

It's 6 destroyed and 2 damaged. Speculation is that Prince Harry was the target of the attack, as this is the base that he is deployed to with his helicopter unit.

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 10:14 PM
link   
reply to post by ChrisF231

Took me forever to find some footage. I couldn't remember the name of the damn place. It was Tan Son Nhut airbase. I think it was during Tet...
Anyway. Silent personal home movie camera. I never saw this before, but he said he was there.

Never heard of the Ben Hoia story. Crazy stuff. Wouldn't be too hard. Everywhere in Afghanistan is surrounded by hills. Hillbilly Mujahideen (or whatever they call them today) sit up there looking down on the valley floor (or an airbase) for just as long as it takes to find a weakness. Time is on their side. Primary requirement is patience and a notepad and pen.

Ever see a flick called "The Beast"? About a Russian Tank lost in Afghanistan.

Edit: I guess they changed the name... its older but its got some interesting detail... here go:

edit on 16-9-2012 by intrptr because: YouTube

new topics
top topics

<<   2 >>

join