It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FBI Investigate Dead Body In NIN Music Video 'Down In It' [1989].. Nine Inch Nails

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 05:13 PM
link   
[color=737373]Obviously, this is nothing new, but it was new to me, and I think it's hilarious.

The Nine Inch Nails Video for the song 'Down In It', was released in 1989. Apparently this story first aired on the Tabloid News TV Show 'Hard Copy' on March 5, 1991, after the year long investigation had finally been solved.

I transcribed most of it, but it's probably better to just watch the vid. I did leave some parts out, but aside from the 2 comments in [[...]], I didn't add anything. So what I typed was what they said. Just keep that in mind when you see how ridiculous some of it is...

[color=EDB79D]Detective Wood ~
"These two people standing over the body had a distinctive type of uniform on. As I recall: Black pants. Some type of leather jacket with a design on it. One is wearing combat boots, and the other is wearing black leather shoes. Hair cut real short. So if it was a homicide, I was thinking it was possibly a gang-type homicide."

[color=FFC875]Narrator ~
"It all began one peaceful Michigan morning when a farmer named Robert Reed woke up to check on his corn field. Farmer Reed looked up towards the sun that morning, and saw something strange floating across the sky. It wasn't the usual flock of Canadian Geese. It looked more like a UFO, if you ask him. As the wind carried the craft down to Bob among his corn, he saw it was a cluster of weather balloons attached to a Super-8 Movie Camera."

[color=FFC875]Narrator ~
"The State Police took this particular camera, and they gingerly removed the film. They watched as the images came to life. They expected to see some corn fields, and maybe a cow or two, but instead, they began to see what appeared to be a cult-killing."

"It appeared that the body looked like it had laid there for some time, so that didn't make sense. You know, the body's been dead for some time and 2 people are standing over it, unless they had just found it or something. Then you had the 3rd person who was running away from the 2 that were there."

[color=FFC875]Narrator ~
"The seasoned Police Investigators studied the bizarre film for clues, for some indication of where this strange scene had taken place. Then they noticed the flashing lights above the crosses. They figured out that the lights were on an elevated train track. Someone recognized it as the famed 'Chicago-L'. Detective Wood sent a copy of the film to Chicago Police for immediate investigation."

"Chicago Detectives managed to pinpoint the exact alley, where this scene had been filmed, but there was no answer to the identity of the victim, or those around him."

"Nobody could determine whether this action was a homicide, or what it was. So the Chicago P.D., then sent it to the FBI Laboratory to have it enhanced. That's when the FBI got involved."

[color=FFC875]Narrator ~
"At about the time the FBI was called in on the case, which was about a year after the film was found, the Chicago Police got a tip that helped identify the victim in the case."

"As it turned out, his name was Trent Reznor. Now you may not have heard of Trent Reznor (I know I hadn't!), but if you're a kid you may have his picture on your wall. You see, Trent Reznor emerged as an underground rock star last year with a band called Nine Inch Nails."

[color=789BAB][[They show a couple short low-quality clips from live performances of 'Suck' & 'Sin', which are followed by.....]]
....[color=FFF7AD]I know. I know. It's more like Nine Inch Noise, but when police found the name of the victim, they also solved the mystery at the same time. They found out that Trent Reznor had masterminded and directed his own death."

[color=CF9DB8]Some other Douche ~
"A year after a filmed murder scene landed in a corn field hundreds of miles from Chicago, Police and FBI narrowed the case down to the victims identity. [color=FF94D1]They can be excused for wishing they had never found him."

[color=FFC875]Narrator ~
"It was a mystery that could have come from the mind of David Lynch, only it wasn't a fictional Twin Peaks, or a twisted Blue Velvet imitation of small town America. This one was for real."

"A cluster of weather balloons had carried the Super-8 Movie Camera more than a hundred miles from downtown Chicago, across the Great Lakes, to a farmers field outside of Burr Oak, Michigan. The camera contained film that seemed to have recorded a killing, [color=FFF7AD]a cult-like murder with a body surrounded by weird looking men in strange outfits."

[color=FFC875]"The Michigan State Police, The Chicago Police, and the FBI spent more than a year investigating the case, trying to determine who the victim was, and what had happened to him. They even sent out flyers to area schools, hope of generating leads. Then one day they got a tip that blew the case wide open."

"After the police got the art student's tip, they were shocked to learn that the weird images on the film had nothing to do with a gang killing or a satanic ritual, but was something many people feel is just as insidious."

[color=FFF7AD]"The film that was found in the corn field was meant for an underground rock video starring Trent Reznor. This is Trent Reznor: A man with a flare for wearing jewelry in his nose, and who has total disregard for what police have to go through every day of their lives. Ya see, Trent Reznor is very much alive."

[color=63A2FF]Trent ~
"About 6 months ago, my manager got a call from an investigator in Chicago, who thinks that I might be dead. So there was talk of me having to go to Chicago, to prove that I'm alive, but I never had to do that. I think they felt a little bit silly, which was good."

[color=FFF7AD]Narrator ~
"When the Chicago Police were approached about the case, they didn't have anything to say about it. And when we found Trent Reznor on the road before a concert, he didn't have any regrets about the wasted year of police work that could have gone into solving some real crimes. In fact, he found it all amusing." [color=789BAB][[and rightfully so. lol]]

[color=63A2FF]Trent ~
"When the news came through that this was some sort of a cult killing, and that I had been killed, this great story, my initial reaction was that it was really funny, that something could be that blown out of proportion, and this many people working on it. And I felt kinda good that the Police had made idiots of themselves."

[color=FFC875]Narrator ~
"Did he say Idiots!?!"
"Don't tell that to retired cop Paul Wood."

Down In It (Shred)

edit on 9/16/12 by BrokenCircles because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 05:24 PM
link   
I like how they seem to blame him for a year of wasted tax dollars.

And that "underground rock star" now has an Academy award.

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Investigating the death of a living person. Sounds like typical police work

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Hawking

Just imagine if it had been the 'Broken' Video/Film. They probably would've had to strike up a Nationwide manhunt for that one.

Originally posted by 369821

Investigating the death of a living person. Sounds like typical police work
The best part is that it was 3 different agencies: Local, State, and Federal, and for over a year.

I came across this↓vid also, Fake Hard Copy Story, which is actually a Promo for 'The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo'.

I don't know for sure if Trent actually had anything to do with that Promo, but considering that he worked on the Score for that movie, I assume that Trent was probably involved in one way or another.

edit on 9/16/12 by BrokenCircles because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Gingerly removed it?????????????:S

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 06:22 PM
link   
That's hilarious.

I almost choked on my coffee. You should be more careful with what you post. A guy could get hurt.

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by shadowreborn89

Yeah, I wasn't exactly sure what 'gingerly' meant. I had to search that one. Didn't matter much though, because I already thought it was funny even before I searched for the definition... lol

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by watchitburn

OR, maybe, just maybe, you should be more careful with your coffee.

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Oh dear, oh dear..

And all they had to do was switch on MTV.

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 12:31 PM
link   
I think I may have to set this up as my Firefox Home Page. I can't get enough of it. I just now read it all again, and it's still cracking me up......

top topics

join