It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "Three C's": Strong Attitudes of Non-Depressed Persons

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   

From the bad economy and a hectic pace of life to the seemingly endless bad news on a global level, it seem there are more reasons than ever to be feeling bad. But we can still take control of our own minds and do things to help ourselves when faced with anxiety, fear, panic, and depression.

I thought I'd share a little bit of wisdom I came across about a decade ago - something that's helped me a lot personally as I've had cause to ruminate on it in stressful times. In his book Change Your Brain, Change Your Life, Dr. Daniel G. Amen M.D. noted the results of a study done on "least depressed" persons - those who were likely to remain upbeat and strong in dark situations that brought depression to many others. The findings of the study showed that these people tended, across the board, to have three attitudes Amen called "the three C's." By reminding ourselves of these three attitudes and seeking to cultivate them within ourselves, we can strengthen our minds against depression, anxiety, and other dark mental states.

1. Capability: You realize you have a certain amount of capability to change and control your life. You are not merely a passive victim of events: there are things you can do to make your situation better. You may not be able to perfectly control your life, but you are not an amoeba being carried along helplessly in a river. By setting goals and consciously taking control of the various factors in your life, you can change what needs to be changed and steer your life where you want it to go.

2. Challenge: You look at difficulties and setbacks as interesting challenges or puzzles rather than as causes for despair and mental agonizing. You are able to view difficulties as something akin to a chess game or a puzzle – something that is interesting in its own right rather than dread-inducing. While it’s a bit facile to say “life is a game,” it is helpful to think of some of the challenges in life as games rather than as grim struggles.

3. Commitment: You are committed and connected to something bigger than yourself – something outside yourself. Maybe its your family or a loved one. Maybe it’s a religious or political ideal. Maybe it’s community involvement of some kind. There are many possibilities, but it has to involve living for something other than your own purely selfish needs. This feeling of connectedness and commitment provides strength in difficult times.

I don’t claim to embody these ideals in myself – but I try to. Sometimes its quite difficult. But even in highly stressful situations, I’ve found that simply walking through this list in my mind helps enormously. I hope its of interest and benefit for you, too.

Stay sane and happy, ATS, and don't let the doom get inside your bones. Fight your dispair. The foundations are starting to shake and it’s going to be a wild ride in the coming months and years. Be strong. I know you will.

edit on 9/16/2012 by silent thunder because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Those three words are going to apply to -all- of us soon, whether depressed or not. We will need to be committed to be capable to meet the challenges. Then there will be no time to be depressed.
I'm listening to Alex Jones (Sunday edition) and his guest Steve Pechenik, confronted another CFR member about Iran, our involvement, because US, Israeli and UK ships are gathering. someone is going to spank us with an ICBM strike if these eugenic devils go forward with this hellish insanity.
edit on 16-9-2012 by Eedjee because: oops

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

Number 1 (capability) is SO relevant in today's times. I'm sick of people acting like helpless victims and whining about situations that their own choices and actions got them in.

Number 3 (commitment) is also very relevant. Hedonism and narcissism are repulsive.
edit on 9/16/2012 by Charmed707 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Don't ask me why, but I don't "activate" until all hell is breaking loose in my immediate surrounds or with my loved ones. Until then, I bounce back and forth from elation and depression. I remain inactive.

I'm sure these belief systems work well for some, but me...meh..tried so many out over the years...not a single one stuck for long. I am who I am, and that's just not gonna change.

I'm flagging this one, however, because I know it will help some out there.

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Really good post, thanks!
I think capability is really hard sometimes - trying not to get into a passive victim mindset. It's very easy to dwell on all the negative things and forget that there are things I can change.

I used to go to a group therapy (dialectical behavior therapy) when I had insurance. It's mostly for people with borderline mood disorder but it also is good for people with schizo affective disorder which is what I have. The whole idea is changing your thoughts and perceptions and learning coping mechanisms. This post is similar to things we learned there and it really does help.

I might see about getting that book

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by moniesisfun

I'm like that too.

Also I think fear and anger attract things to you, that are bad. No matter if all heck is busting loose.

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 05:21 PM
link   
This is just my personal opinion.

But I don't believe in depression. I think it is an excuse weak minded people use to make them selves feel better or to justify their ineffectiveness. And doctors and pharmaceutical companies are backing it so they can make lots of money.

I just can't wrap my head around it. It doesn't make any sense to me.

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 05:52 PM
link   
You are on something

lets try to push our mind further

People need to read this thread and apply it to the letter
in a non stressfull way .. when you reach those "3 C's" you become fearless
its like you give yourself to life and let your destiny go with the flow of water in complete Faith
the secret to the ying and yang symbol is the center
so its important to keep a balance in your life or you will not be able to 100% focus
everyone has a "mission" to Love and Care for others .. all other missions are illusions
the is only 1 Creator .. the Father of all Hu/man
he wants us to understand how we should Love everyone the same way we want to be Loved
and the same way he Loves everyone egualy .. if you think you are superior ..
then it make you inferior because you dont understand the concept that everyone is egual
in fact .. all living thing in the universe are egual

since we are all imortal souls and we never realy die in the real world
each time we reincarnate into a new body on earth
we have the chance to continu our spiritual progress with no memory .. a brand new life
life exist so we can correct our past mistake and evolve ..
the human have a capability to Ascend like gods (god like syndrome)
thats why so many thinks they are gods .. its just a trick to filter the wicked souls
its in our DNA everything is calculated and you always start with baby steps and then bigger steps
the amount of "junk" dna we have .. where do you think is that coming from ?

we are all different aliens species that wanted to try having a mortal life
to further their progress at "ascending"
its more like 111 --> 1

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 08:47 PM
link   
A very useful thread with some good advice. It's true that embracing these "Three C's" can be a monumental challenge when one is in a depressed state-of-mind, but they are definitely worthy values to strive for.

Thanks for taking the time to compile this thread.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 10:08 PM
link   
S&F

1. Capability

This can be the most challenging, in regards to employment, since sometimes personal skill sets vs current demand can change. New skills can always be learned with patience. Many people look at capability as a skill or trade that must be learned. This is far from true. Work ethic, initiative, dedication, patience, determination, persistence, creativity, or any other human trait alone can be a capability. Never underestimate the adaptability and capability we all have.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 10:43 AM
link   
I found # 3 to be intriguing. Particularly the suggestion of connecting to some sort of religious establishment. I think it is funny to say that Science and Religion are incompatible. While they do conflict in many areas, I don't think that it is logically impossible for the two to coexist. Whenever the subject of science and religion are brought up-does it always have to degenerate into an intellectual holy war?

new topics

top topics

join