It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pigeon with broken wing

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 03:30 PM
link   
My 14 year old daughter and her two friends found a pigeon with a broken wing and I really dont know how to care for them (since i know the responsibility will fall on me after a few days)

Does anyone on here have any Ideas, will it heal eventually or should I have just let it go and let nature take its course?
I know pigeons will eat almost anything but is there anything in particular that I should get for it?
Any info will help

edit on 16-9-2012 by Juggernog because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Can only suggest a safe, quiet, for the moment enclosed place with some comfort (hay, straw, dry grass), shallow, stable container of water, and a pile of birdseed - and / or defrosted peas / sweetcorn. Very important though not to give it nything with salt in.

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Put it in a box with paper towel or similar in the bottom. Don't feed or water it. keep it in a cool dark place. Call your nearest wildlife rescue organization. If you can't find one in your area. Call animal control for and ask them where one is. Don't tell them why. They will usually want to come and take it to destroy it or demand that you do. If you can't find anybody to rescue it then get back to me here and I'll go through plan B with you.

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 03:47 PM
link   

edit on 16-9-2012 by Berzerked because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Care for a broken wing.
www.ehow.com...

What to feed a pigeon.
www.pigeonweb.net...
edit on 16-9-2012 by Night Star because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 03:56 PM
link   
I appreciate the links, Ill check em out.. green peas, really?

edit on 16-9-2012 by Juggernog because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Juggernog

As someone who has volunteered at a wildlife rescue centre for a few years now and has delt with countless injured bird rescues I emplore you to not feed it until you have talked to a rescue centre. They don't feed you when you get into an emergency room and there is a good reason for that.

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by dainoyfb

argh, I already fed it some bread and water. I figured pigeons eat just about anything lol.. Ill try and do that tomorrow.

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Bread is dangerous for most birds. There is actually a program in our community where people go around to the parks and ask if they can swap the bread people are feeding to the birds with proper grains. Birds only eat bread because it tastes good to them. People feed it to birds because they have it in easy reach at home.

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Grain.. as in regular bird feed? If not, where would I buy grain?

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   

There are specific feed mixes for pigeons. See if there is a bird supply store in your area. If not the lower link that Night Star provided is a good guide. I'm afraid you are going to have to do some looking around your neighborhood for supplies. You can also ask the local nature club or birding club. Most members buy seed for there back yard bird feeders and can probably recommend places that also sell pigeon feed.

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Well, we have a petsmart here so Im sure they can help... I initially suggested that we should just leave it for natures will but they insisted (teen girls can be convincing..lol) Thanks for your help man

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 06:58 PM
link   

You have been so helpful. I had no idea that bread wasn't good for birds. I feed them seeds or suet myself. Is peanut butter ok? I hve been wanting to make the rolled pinecones in peanut butter and seeds.

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 08:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Night Star

I see a lot of the birders in my area that are really in the know about and concerned about bird health and they pretty much all feed peanut butter, usually in a small hanging log with a bunch of large holes drilled into the side. They mix the peanut butter with lard so that it is much easier for the birds to handle. I suggest that you make a trip down the organic isle and pick up a jar of 100% peanut butter. It's not doing birds any favors when we feed them toxins such a sugars, corn syrup, preservatives etc that is found in most regular peanut butter these days. We shouldn't be consuming most of that stuff ourselves.

I would suggest making a quick mental list of what birds could be visiting your neighborhood and look into which foods each type eats. In my area I take the suet down in the warm season because the species of birds that eat it here migrate away and it just goes rancid.

While I'm on the bird food topic, if you are planning on hosting humming birds please consider planting flowers that attract them rather than using the typical sugar fluid feeders. That stuff is pure junk for them and they will live on it because they have found an easy source of "food". Again its not doing them any favors.

Great to see some bird/nature enthusiasts chime in here!!
edit on 16-9-2012 by dainoyfb because: I added reply code.

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Thanks so much!!

Now back to that pigeon. How's he doing????

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Bread tends to clog birds up if they have too much, but a small amount of wholemeal is OK. I'd like to reiterate what I said before though, especially over the peanut butter - avoid anything with salt in it.

On feeding and the emergency room - in the case of something that could be left for a little while as distinct from something that needs surgery immediately to save a life - if a bird goes to a rescue centre and they think it might have eaten, they could just postpone any surgery/anaesthetic for 4+ hours. There is also such a thing as a pre-anaesthetic test because some animals react to anaesthetic - not sure whether they do this for birds. My experience of human emergency rooms is that, unless immediately life-threatening, nobody does anything much for more than that length of time anyway, and you might just as well have had that cup of tea you so much wanted, in spite of what it says in the first-aid books!

I took a hen to the vet today - not a broken wing, but something else that required minor surgery. She hadn't eaten anyway but the vet gave her a morphine injection before he treated her, which isn't dependent on whether she had eaten or not. She did, and is doing, fine. (There is another vet who thought hens automatically ought to be culled if there is anything wrong with them, who no longer gets my custom.)

All the best with your care for the pigeon.

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Night Star
Thanks so much!!

Now back to that pigeon. How's he doing????

Well... Sadly when we woke up this morning he was dead. Most likely had other injuries

I tried though

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Awwww, poor birdie. Well at least you tried. Rest in peace little bird.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Sorry to hear the news, OP. Sometimes that has happened here in the past, sometimes not. Can only try, and it's wonderful when an animal/bird recovers. I know vets lose them, too - people with a lot of knowledge.

Just in case anyone in your family has taken it hard, there's a website called Rainbow Bridge that might be helpful.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 12:23 PM
link   
It might have been a cat maul. We loose almost all rescues that are the result of cat mauls because of the amount of bacteria that enters the birds body.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join