It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Name of an old TV show?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 04:23 AM
link   
I am trying to remember the name of an old TV show/movie I had seen 20 to 30 years ago. The details and images are still strong in my mind but I have never been able to find any mention of it on the internet .

The show went along like this.
A family was visiting Egypt. They went in a pyramid. While looking around one of the burial chambers, they dropped the flashlight. And it went out. Next thing they knew, they was along side a long road in someplace they did not know. It’s like they found a portal into another universe. They walked along the road trying to hitch hike. Finally made it to a moderate size town. No one in the town knew anything about the place they said they came from, or any of the countries or places they knew. They tried living in the town (because they had no choice), but they was having problems. They couldn’t find any medicines. They found out that the reason no one needed any medicine was because everyone there was some form of artificial life form. A high advanced form of human like androids. While exercising, like doing pushups, they had pads under them that would give them an electric shock. That shock would give the normal residence added power, but it was quite painful for the unlucky travelers.

Every time they had a chance, they would go back out to that long road, and look along the side trying to find the place where they appeared, to see if they could find their way back home.

Every episode would be a continuation of their struggle in the parallel universe.

During the ending there is a music track that played while the a picture of the setting sun was seen going down over the desert landscape. Every time I hear a song similar the old music pops back strong in my mind, but I have never heard the exact song played on the radio that was used in that show.

Any ideas about the shows identity would be greatly appreciated.

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 04:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Mr Tranny

You mean something like this:

Otherworld

In the first episode, the Sterling family (Hal, June, Trace, Gina, Smith) take a tour of the interior of the Great Pyramid of Giza at the same time as a once-in-ten-thousand-years conjunction of the planets. Inside, they are abandoned by their guide, and as they try to get out, they are mysteriously transported to another planet which may or may not be in a parallel universe.

On this other planet, (called 'Thel') which is inhabited by humans, there are no familiar countries or states. The area they are in is divided up into self-contained "Zones," each with a wildly different style of government and way of life, although the province of "Imar" (ruled by a Praetor) appears to be the central seat of government for this entire Earth. Most of Thel's history is not revealed, although the pilot episode contains references to 'territories', android creators, and 'wars of unification'. It is thus unknown whether Thel is an alternate universe version of Earth, or another planet entirely.

source

Peace
edit on 16-9-2012 by operation mindcrime because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 04:31 AM
link   

PS: didn't know the series but Google search term "tv show 80's piramide parallel universe family" got me to this result.

All hail Google!!!

Peace

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 04:39 AM
link   
Im from Australia and I have no idea. I know most of the sci-fi shows from that era. My guess is that it was short lived, as in only 1 series or it may have been a mini series.

Perhaps googling sci fi shows by decade would help. I know these sort of lists exist, I have used them once or twice. Search for both TV series and mini series for the sake of completeness.

P

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 04:41 AM
link   

Now I feel sorry for killing this thread before it even got to be 10min. old. So instead let's reminisce on old forgotten, cancelled series from the 80's....

Anybody remember this one?

Nobody I know has seen this series when I ask them but every Wednesday night, 20:00 it would air in my country and I didn't miss one episode!!

Peace

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 04:44 AM
link   
Land if the lost maybe?

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 04:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by navione
Land if the lost maybe?

Could be.......

Peace

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 04:46 AM
link   

It is the 1985 TV series (Otherworld).

edit on 16-9-2012 by caladonea because: edit

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 04:47 AM
link   
reply to post by operation mindcrime

That’s it!!

Dang that gets the memories flowing!

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 04:51 AM
link   
All hail you tube as well:

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 04:59 AM
link   
It's funny... I've been watching the Original Series of The Twilight Zone recently (still working my way through) and it doesn't look too dated... the stories mostly hold up, the music is fine.

But watching that youtube intro of this show... it sounds and looks awful, so dated. (I mean the intro looks sounds awful, I'm sure the show is great)

There's something about stuff done in the 70's and 80's and actually even early 90's that makes them appear so much more dated and cheesy than some of the much older shows.

Weird.

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 05:31 AM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

Yeah the quality seems poor although I can't remember it as being this bad...

Peace

PS: OMG...I suddenly remember my crush on Erin Gray

HubbaHubba....

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 06:37 AM
link   
The only obvious thing that I see in the you tube versions is they have a totally different start and ending scene and song from when they aired on the TV station I was watching when they first came out.

The original ending I remember has them following a line of monoliths through the desert, while the sun sets, and the credits role. It wasn’t the quick short ending that the youtube videos have. It was a lot longer slower credit roll…. With that music playing in the background.

OK now I have found the movie, but I still haven’t found the music that it used in the original ending. But at least I have somewhere to start.

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 06:44 AM
link   
reply to post by operation mindcrime

Exactly... and then compare to

Maybe it's the dated music that makes the 70's and 80's shows seem that way?
The music dates them more than anything.

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   
In the case of that old Buck Rogers show, it's the aesthetics that date it, such as the costumes and the set design. And some of the music was disco.

A far cry of the Bill Bixby The Incredible Hulk.

But I still enjoy watching those old shows. What I get a kick out of, though, is watching the at that time top of the line technology. All those cars were pretty much that year, or at least most of them. The computers were the best there is, such as the old computer tape computers, and so on.

It's a hoot watching all that old technology that was then top of the line stuff.

edit on 16-9-2012 by EvilSadamClone because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-9-2012 by EvilSadamClone because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   

It's funny... I've been watching the Original Series of The Twilight Zone recently (still working my way through) and it doesn't look too dated... the stories mostly hold up, the music is fine. But watching that youtube intro of this show... it sounds and looks awful, so dated. (I mean the intro looks sounds awful, I'm sure the show is great) There's something about stuff done in the 70's and 80's and actually even early 90's that makes them appear so much more dated and cheesy than some of the much older shows. Weird.

Rod Serling was the man. The Twilight Zone is one of those shows that stands the test of time, a testament to this is the fact my 15 year old son loves the show after I turned him onto it. I'm amazed that a show that's filmed in black & white that first aired in 1959 manages to hold a 21st century teenagers attention. That alone speaks for itself. One of the best shows ever created hands down.

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nucleardoom

Rod Serling was the man. The Twilight Zone is one of those shows that stands the test of time, a testament to this is the fact my 15 year old son loves the show after I turned him onto it. I'm amazed that a show that's filmed in black & white that first aired in 1959 manages to hold a 21st century teenagers attention. That alone speaks for itself. One of the best shows ever created hands down.

Totally agree, amazing show

One the absolute best.

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Twilight Zone definitely one of the best, ever. If you ever have the opportunity, check into The Outer Limits. It has a more SciFi outer spacey theme, and while I think Twilight Zone was superior, Outer Limits is worth a watch.

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by yeahright

Indeed... I have the series (original 60's series) on DVD... I will be watching as soon as I'm done with TZ.

Also watched a a lot of the 90's one too...

X-Files too.

Anything weird and wonderful basically

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Okay, last one -

One Step Beyond. May be the "scariest" of the three.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join