It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This is my happy, it may not be much, but it's mine.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 03:09 AM
link   
Some of you know my sad tale of the past two years:

- Unable to be hired anywhere due to a misdemeanor.

- Having to lose my pride and go on food stamps and finally give up my apartment for Housing.

- Trying to start my own house cleaning business and no one having money for that luxury (except one person, which is gold to me)

- losing school half way through my bachelors degree due to my loans drying up.

- my rabbit dying 2 days after finding out about the loss of school.

I'm happy to report that Monday (9/16/2012), I'll be calling my lawyer to make the court date to travel up North to get (try to get) my misdemeanor sealed so I may work like a real person and finally have this shadow of the far past off my back. I'll finally be defined as me rather than that misdemeanor. Wish me luck, because while the paperwork to get it sealed is making its rounds, any one can deny it. If they deny it, I'm very much screwed.

I'm also happy to report that I chose to leave Devry after this class with 5k left in my loans. I was originally going to take two more classes in my major and then self teach. but I decided that was dumb. So, upon looking around, I found the community college up the road offers Phlebotomy (blood drawing). It's 13 credit hours at only 74 dollars /credit hour. That's a HUGE difference to Devry's 604/credit hour. In 2 semesters I can be a Phlebotomist, working in a hospital (preferably) or clinic. I have wanted to work in the medical field since I was a child. Don't know why I put it off so long. True, this is not what I wanted - I wanted to be a surgeon - but as life shows, I'm thrilled to have my dream job no matter what it is: I'm going to be working in a hospital or clinic! That just makes me beam to no end.

The only thing scaring me is one thing: I'm calling them Monday as well to see if I can take classes with this misdemeanor. Something tells me that no one would hire me with that hanging over my head. So I'm terrified the judge - or someone along the route as I described earlier - will deny it and I'll be denied my dream workplace, future, and everything. Oh, I'll appeal, do NOT misunderstand. I'll appeal as many times as I need to.

I'm trying to hold to positive thoughts but it's still brutally terrifying. I really really want the chance to live my dream, get off food stamps and housing, and BE someone again. I'm so tired of being defined by my mistake of the past (cashed a work check and only after I was arrested a year later found out the boss had forged it. Supposedly it was us workers' faults for cashing it. Because as everyone knows, all workers should know if their employment checks are forged or not, apparently.) But yeah, I'm so scared. And it takes from 4 to 8 months from the day one files for sealing for it to fully go the circuit and you to find out if it was sealed or not.

I tell you, if it does not get sealed, I'm going to be mighty depressed.
If it does get sealed, however, I will feel reborn. I truly hope it's the latter. I'm tired of feeling like less than human for everything going on (or not going on) in my life.

Just had to let all this out. I hope I didn't glitch my chances of success by talking about this before anything happened. :/ I've seen more people - and myself included - talk about something amazing happening and then it falls through.

Still, I get a chance to work in my dream workplace. Oh MY god. That alone just makes me thrilled.
Took almost 40 years but yanno, things happen when they're meant to. My fingers and toes are crossed that this will be sealed. Talk about a new lease on life.

thanks for reading

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 03:16 AM
link   
reply to post by sarra1833

Give it your all and don't worry about the outcome, worry about the effort you put into it. Peace.

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 03:22 AM
link   

Here is a link that may help you find some answers and options... Vocational Rehabilitation. They deal in work, schooling, and overcoming problems like the ones you are facing. It's been awhile since I last read up on it all, but I think they might at least be able to guide you to resources.

~Heff

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 03:23 AM
link   
I wish you the best of luck. You have had many hurdles in your life, yet you keep going at it. It is very admirable.
Stay strong!

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 03:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide

Here is a link that may help you find some answers and options... Vocational Rehabilitation. They deal in work, schooling, and overcoming problems like the ones you are facing. It's been awhile since I last read up on it all, but I think they might at least be able to guide you to resources.

~Heff

Many thanks, Heff. I'll definitely bookmark that site and check it in the morning. I'm about ready to pass out. Been a long day.

I appreciate it greatly.

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 03:30 AM
link   
To everyone else, thank you. I believe in the power that positive thought holds; especially when given by others, strangers or not. I tell you, when this works out (and I say when instead of if) I wouldn't mind finding out how to work with others to let them know my story, struggles and how not giving up can be the best thing ever.

I've learned a LOT in the last few years. I got wiser, it seems, the worse my situation got. Kind of proves that the bad truly does happen as lessons to learn and a means by which to grow.

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 03:33 AM
link   
Aw Heff, that site is just good for Military Vets, which I am not.
Thank you though. The thought means a lot to me.

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 03:39 AM
link   

I may have Googled you the wrong link. The Vocarehab program also works with a lot of other people. I'll get a better link if that one is vet specific.

~Heff

It's state by state... Just Google your state and then "vocational rehabilitation" and you should get a valid link. If not U2U me and I'll ask my friends in the local office to get some info for you.

edit on 9/16/12 by Hefficide because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 03:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide

I may have Googled you the wrong link. The Vocarehab program also works with a lot of other people. I'll get a better link if that one is vet specific.

~Heff

It's state by state... Just Google your state and then "vocational rehabilitation" and you should get a valid link. If not U2U me and I'll ask my friends in the local office to get some info for you.

edit on 9/16/12 by Hefficide because: (no reason given)

You are definitely gold.
I'll be back on tomorrow as I keep nodding off now. Hehe. And yeah, that one was Vet specific.
No worries. It happens. I so appreciate the help. That is one thing I learned while on gov't aid; pride gets shot - but accepting help and/or asking for it is a treasure. It's still hard for me to ask for help, of course, but yeah. It's just not me for some reason. I'm so glad and grateful you're offering this. I hope it will be a help. Thank you for caring, Heff. I know we're strangers but I'd hug you if possible in pure gratitude. Every little bit means SO much.

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 03:48 AM
link   
I'm sorry, I don't know how to help you, but I wish you the best of luck.

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 03:54 AM
link   
Ever hear of a guy named Barry Keenan? He made millions building real estate. Oh, and he also kidnapped Frank Sinatra's son at the age of 21 and did about 5 years in Federal prison. It was never a secret who he was or what he did.

If you're serious about a small business you should check out your local small business development center. The counseling is free and confidential. It's mostly volunteers from other small businesses who give mentorship and advice on how to get your business off the ground. Plus they are aware of Federal, State, and Local incentive programs for small businesses.

top topics

join