It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone feel like a "child" on ATS?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Nah. I usually feel like I've walked in on a group of drunk, Yan'kee jocks measuring peckers and vaunting about the how many yards they ran in their bastardised version of football.

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 10:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Silver Star

Dear Silver Star,

So in the end I just trotted off into the sunset. I'm still a little bitter about it (hence this post). Confidence isn't something that can be turned on and off at the flick of a switch - it is gained by other people reinforcing your views and on ATS that is achieved through the awarding of stars.

I have to disagree with you. Stars and Flags do not mean a post is better, it means more people agree with your sentiment. You can get flags and stars for posting hate, doesn't make it a good thread. I am frequently surprised when I get flags and stars and there are many who dislike me merely for being a Christian. So what? I am not afraid to be challenged and you shouldn't be either. Post, say what you believe and then back it up. Being challenged can help us to grow if we choose for it to do so. Your opinion matters, everyone's does, that doesn't mean that we have to agree on anything, the important thing is that all voices are heard and then everyone can decide for themselves what they believe. Keep writing.

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by RealSpoke
reply to post by intrepid

I don't mean have confidence to the point where you refuse to be proven wrong...but if you're afraid to post, that generally means you don't have the knowledge or confidence to debate the topic at hand.

Dear RealSpoke,

Questioning is the groundwork one needs to do to be able to debate. I like people who post honest questions, how else can they get their answers?

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 05:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by sled735

Originally posted by Consequence
Interesting. I mostly think that the people involved in elaborate conversations have "learnt" about the world through random conspiracy theory videos on YouTube, rather than from, well, reality.

I have learned something new since I joined ATS, and I'm over 50 years old. I learned that "learnt" is actually a word. I've seen it used so many times here, I looked in the dictionary, and there it was!

Now, if I can find where they changed the meaning of "were" to "where", and "where" to "were", and also, "then" to "than", and "than" to "then", I'll be flying high on catching up with the English language!

edit on 9/16/2012 by sled735 because: (no reason given)

I looks like you did not understand what I meant by "learnt"?

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 06:10 AM
link   
reply to post by EllaMarina

EllaMarina, I understand what you mean. I felt the same way and still do in some forums. There are forums here that are so much filled with intelligent information that I just stick to lurking them. And I'm 50...

What I do is participate in forums that are more easy going. Actually, that is one of the reasons why I welcome a lot of new members in the intro forum. It kinda forces me to communicate. That is also why I started to write in the short story forum. No trolls there, no superior intellect making me feel like a kid. All equal. Now I have ventured into the Debate forum, as it forces me to challenge myself. It forces me out of shyness. No trolls there either, just great members.

A child has learned to walk through little baby steps. That is how I overcame this problem that we seem to share. One day, hopefully, I'll feel like an adult on ATS

Just my take and I hope it could help you to participate a little more. You are not alone.

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 07:23 AM
link   

Yes I do. I have even told I cannot start a thread until I have a certain number of answers here,...so I have to answer things I would rather not....
But I love reading the posts and viewings links.

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by sled735

Interesting. I mostly think that the people involved in elaborate conversations have "learnt" about the world through random conspiracy theory videos on YouTube, rather than from, well, reality.

I have learned something new since I joined ATS, and I'm over 50 years old. I learned that "learnt" is actually a word. I've seen it used so many times here, I looked in the dictionary, and there it was!

Now, if I can find where they changed the meaning of "were" to "where", and "where" to "were", and also, "then" to "than", and "than" to "then", I'll be flying high on catching up with the English language!

I
I looks like you did not understand what I meant by "learnt"?

I'm sorry, Consequence. Actually, I just saw the word in your post, and it reminded me of looking it up in the dictionary. I hit the reply on your post by accident. I meant to just send a reply to the OP. Sorry 'bout that!

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 09:28 AM
link   

I'm twenty-ish and ATS's okay for me. No problem to report here.

Gonna take my lollypop now.

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 09:29 AM
link   
reply to post by sled735

Hi. We talked thru U2U last time, remember? I just wanted to know, off-topic I know, but here it is: You write novels too? It says "author" on your avatar.

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by EllaMarina
I don't mean it in the sense of being childish. More like... whenever I walk into any thread and read the post and the following discussion, I get the sense of walking in on an Adult Conversation. You know, how when you were a kid and listened idly to a group of grownups next to you, talking. And the subjects are so serious and far above me that I know I wouldn't be able to offer much in the way of input, and it's the same way here.

Despite that, I come on the site every day, because everything really is interesting. Maybe someday in the next century or so, I'll grow into the atmosphere.

Give yourself time and some credit. Most of the people on here like the think they "know" what they are talking about. Many of the older posters claim to be experts or try to sound like they have a clue but they are just rehashing some stuff they looked up on Google and then pawned off as their own.

The most valuable thing you could do is read most things with the same outlook as I have when reading religious scripture, in other words I say complete BS and fairy tales until someone proves it beyond all doubt.

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by swan001
reply to post by sled735

Hi. We talked thru U2U last time, remember? I just wanted to know, off-topic I know, but here it is: You write novels too? It says "author" on your avatar.

Yes, I wrote a novel several years ago. Won't get into it here. Don't want to derail the thread, but I spoke a little about it in this thread... www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Ive felt this too.

Its because when you come in and post a comment, the trajectory of the argument is already set, and the main players already preparing their statements, and anything that knocks the trajectory off just gets ignored. I've resolved whole threads in one post and literally seen the post sink to the depths of ATS while the participants rehash the same old points again and again.

Its because most people on ATS are trying to tell their story instead of listen to other peoples and are only trying to convert people to their philosophy instead of all the community of ATS collaborating their brilliant minds together to try and find the true philosophy and answers.

Its because as soon as someone makes a new thread everyone just throws their two cents in and leaves instead of the way it used to go where people would drop their ego and put their heads together to try and come to the truth, putting all the two cents together, getting a thousand bucks and investing it wisely, so to speak.

And its somewhat due to that horrible elitism that creeps up on you if you venture into realms of the intellectual without properly cleansing the soul first and removing egoity from yourself.

And that's not to say that I am without any of the above, for indeed, even having just written this post I am aware of some inconsistencies in which I commit what I am denouncing therein. And I know only too painfully that I am guilty of the above elitism, although not any more (I hope) however, as I already pointed out, this is not to say that I am without these, its just to say.

XD

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 10:23 PM
link   
I am not sure I feel like a child, so much as I just feel unintelligent sometimes. Many of the conversations and ideas are above my head, relying on knowledge that I don't seem to have, and reasoning that I would never come up with on my own. That having been said, I do enjoy reading these ideas and discussions, but I'm usually reluctant to post because I don't want to come across as stupid. It doesn't mean I don't enjoy reading other's ideas and thinking about them, though, whether I agree or not.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 05:20 AM
link   

Also, still a child in many senses but not biological. So that child in me loves this playground and sometimes the rides are rough and sometimes smooth and sometimes exciting and sometimes boring and sometimes even annoying, but always there are new rides and sitting watching from the the spectator stands is simply not as much fun as hopping aboard.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 10:22 AM
link   
I completely understand what you mean..
I've been a member since 2009
& I dont even have enough posts to flag a thread yet

ahaha

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join