It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone feel like a "child" on ATS?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 11:41 PM
link   
I don't mean it in the sense of being childish. More like... whenever I walk into any thread and read the post and the following discussion, I get the sense of walking in on an Adult Conversation. You know, how when you were a kid and listened idly to a group of grownups next to you, talking. And the subjects are so serious and far above me that I know I wouldn't be able to offer much in the way of input, and it's the same way here.

Despite that, I come on the site every day, because everything really is interesting. Maybe someday in the next century or so, I'll grow into the atmosphere.

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 11:49 PM
link   
Depends how old you are I guess.

Sometimes I feel like grandpa Jones but then I just take my hearing aid out, take off the bifocals, open me a can of snuff and scream at the neighbor's kids for playing them consarned records and beep-beeping on those dad-blasted walkie phone thingamajiggers.

But that's just me and...was that a squirrel?

Peace

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 11:51 PM
link   
reply to post by EllaMarina

Don't let it stop you from posting your thoughts. I'm 21, and have had the same sense at times. I have been wrong and told so. A lot of good can come from such an experience with the right attitude.

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 11:52 PM
link   

Dear EllaMarina,

Isn't it great to be able to come on here as a child and ask any question you want? We don't start with algebra, we learn basic math. Some of the people on this site study their subject matter endlessly. There is one guy who posts very rarely; but, when he does it is amazing. He is totally into megaliths and ancient stone buildings and temples, the pictures he chooses blow me away everytime. I know that if I ask him a question, he is going to have the most amazing answer because he is passionate about his thing. On the philosophical threads there are people with extreme beliefs that have been challenged many times and already know the best answers to certain questions. That takes years.

I have a couple of areas that I have thought about for many years and I have over 50 years of life experience. I still love it when I read something new and have questions. I rarely go into the conspiracy threads; but, sometimes they have information that is fascinating and I may ask a question or pose a possibility and then I get to hear more information. Bring what you have, bring questions, offer what you have and enjoy being challenged, it helps us to become the adults we want to be and we never become perfect. Peace. S&F.

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Interesting. I mostly think that the people involved in elaborate conversations have "learnt" about the world through random conspiracy theory videos on YouTube, rather than from, well, reality.

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 11:55 PM
link   

I'm 46 and have never stopped being a kid anyway. Just a rebellious and often mischievous one. I was the only six year old in history, I believe, who approached the adult table at Thanksgiving dinner, saying "You're attempts to marginalize me by forcing me to eat at a table made by the Fisher Price corporation are not lost upon me and, believe me when I say, that I will not abet being trivialized and summarily dismissed in this manner. Prepare to hear from my representation forthwith."

Needless to say I got taken to a lot of therapists as a kid ( and since )

~Heff

(Oh, and have faith in yourself, the truth is that you'll always add to the conversation if you post what you truly think or feel - only deliberate trolls detract from the collective wisdom and insight of ATS! )

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by PatrickGarrow17

Don't let it stop you from posting your thoughts. I'm 21, and have had the same sense at times. I have been wrong and told so. A lot of good can come from such an experience with the right attitude.

And therein lies the wisdom of ATS.

I learn something new here every day as well...and I'm 50.

Peace

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 11:56 PM
link   
If you don't understand what's going on, don't be afraid to ask questions. Most people here will take the time to explain.

Of course, some people might come back with something rude. They do that simply because they don't really understand it, either. Ignore them.

If you're not sure, then you should research the subject and be ready the next time it comes up. This site offers a great opportunity for self education.

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 12:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

Dear Hefficide,

That was classic. I loved the reference to Fisher Price, lol, I can't stop laughing. Not enough space at the adults table and you wonder when you will be old enough to sit there, yep. Then, when you are old enough to sit there because others are no longer there, you want to sit with the kids and make them laugh and let them know how great it is to create these memories. I miss those times and those people. The most beautiful thing in the world is watching someone, a child, learn this world. It just makes you grin from ear to ear when they get it right and they can be so insightful at times.

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 12:22 AM
link   
Nope. You need more confidence in your opinions, if you question them then I guess it could make you feel like a child.

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 12:22 AM
link   

I hope no one is like this guy on ATS

edit on 16-9-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 12:27 AM
link   
I'm 45 and there are many times I feel lost here.

The great thing about ATS is that you can learn about things you never knew.... things no one else knows.... and things that no one else would ever believe.... and all of that from the same thread.

Research the things that are important to you, ask questions, and NEVER cave into fear!
Fear allows us to justify otherwise irrational behavior.

You're not lost! You are in good company!

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 12:47 AM
link   
reply to post by RealSpoke

That is just too creepy RealSpoke!

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 12:59 AM
link   
reply to post by RealSpoke

that is just...
wrong.
odd
disfunctional
wow.

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 01:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by EllaMarina
I don't mean it in the sense of being childish. More like... whenever I walk into any thread and read the post and the following discussion, I get the sense of walking in on an Adult Conversation. You know, how when you were a kid and listened idly to a group of grownups next to you, talking. And the subjects are so serious and far above me that I know I wouldn't be able to offer much in the way of input, and it's the same way here.

Despite that, I come on the site every day, because everything really is interesting. Maybe someday in the next century or so, I'll grow into the atmosphere.

Have confidence in your opinion, and put it together in a provocative and thoughtful way, and you will find yourself giddy collecting stars. Your opinions may not always align with the populous, but the great thing about a place like ATS, is that even the most baseless opinions have people who agree with them on here.. Maybe not a lot, but a few... and just knowing others side with you, or agree with your argument, is very validating.

participate.

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 01:03 AM
link   

You must be here because you're curious. and probably open minded.
there are alot of super smart people here and you can learn new things every day.
don't be afraid to ask, you'll get respectful responses most of the time. just the trollers are rude.
ats is overall a place of great minds. you'll learn the ones with 'specialities'. and yes, wisdom does come with age

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 01:29 AM
link   

When I first started visiting ATS (around 2008) I felt the exact same way. The conversations were so far beyond the conversations I was used to dealing with. I felt like a child in that environment. But things do change if you spend enough time learning and reading. After nearly 5 years now of learning and reading I feel almost exactly the opposite... now I feel like ATS is full of childish fools who contribute badly thought out rubbish. Now it feels to me like the only good stuff worth reading is posted by a small minority of posters who have also spent a great deal of time learning and reading, posters who put a lot of thought and effort into their posts. It's when I read their posts that I start to feel like a child again. Some posters here have spent decades researching this stuff, before ATS even existed. So really it all depends on the level you are at... everyone feels intimidated as a newbie.

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 01:52 AM
link   

Sometimes there are threads that are so over my head I swear they're writing in a different language. Apparently the older I get the more out of touch I get. I once read a story about someone talking on a blackberry and I couldn't figure why this person was talking into fruit. Ah well.

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 01:57 AM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

That was funny.

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 02:11 AM
link   

Another perspective:

My very first ATS thread was in "Off Topic" and was called something like "The Things I Do Not Hate Rant". I did this because there were a LOT of "I Hate...." threads at that time and I wanted to ease my way into posting. I was very much intimidated by many of the members I'd read threads from. I'd lurked for years here and was aware of some of the truly gifted folks who participate in ATS. So, I figured a quiet "test" entry, on a lighthearted subject would get me in the door without too much punishment.

As I recall ( and my memory may be skewed - and I'm not about to open up that old thread to see how bad it might have been, so this may be incorrect, other than in my memories minds eye ) that the trolls came anyway.

Back in those days I tended to read threads and think "My God, they're all so smart!!!"

Now? I still respect and admire many ATS members and what they bring to the table, but I also have learned to discern the true intellect from the faux intellect.

You'll find your voice. Just give it time.

~Heff

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join