It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Young Illegal Immigrants, Driver Licenses, and SSNs...

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Story Here - Fox News

Esquivel soon could get driving privileges: She is one of an estimated million eligible for a new federal program that temporarily defers deportation and grants work permits to people who were brought to the U.S. illegally as children.

California legislators this month approved a bill that would allow an estimated 450,000 eligible young immigrants in the state to use the federal work permits at the Department of Motor Vehicles as proof of lawful presence in the country.

Young immigrants who qualify won't get permanent legal residency or a path to citizenship, but will receive a work authorization card and a Social Security number.

There are a lot of... contradictions in this story.

So immigrants can use this bill and the permits as "proof of lawful presence in the country"... and they will receive a Social Security Number, but they won't be considered permanent legal residents.

So, they get all the benefits of being a citizen... working, social security benefits, healthcare, they can vote (notice I didn't say they have the right to, but they do), etc... but they won't be citizens.

WHAT IS GOING ON WITH THIS COUNTRY?!

I don't understand why we allow illegals (aka - criminals) to continue to pollute our benefit systems, job sectors, and economy.

And don't hand me that crap about "illegals only take jobs others wouldn't." I was a head chef for 7 years, and I have seen many well-qualified White and Black people get over-looked for a kitchen position because an illegal had a cousin that would work there cheaper. I have also worked for construction companies for a good many years, and have seen many well-qualified White and Black people get passed on because there was a family of Mexicans that had a brother that just snuck into the country that was looking for a job.

The most disturbing part of the article for me is-

"To benefit, immigrants must prove they arrived in the United States before they turned 16, were younger than 31 as of June 15, have been living in the country at least five years, are in school or graduated, and have not been convicted of certain crimes.

So not only is it only "certain crimes" that will disqualify them... but this sentence shows me that there is a habit of convicting ILLEGAL ALIENS (aka - criminals) of CRIMES (you know, after they already committed a crime by sneaking into the country), and then releasing them back into the populace instead of deporting them.

I need to stop typing... the more I go on, the more racist against Mexicans I sound, and that is not the case at all. After 10+ years of kitchen/construction work, some of my best friends were Mexican, and guess what, they came here LEGALLY. Thumbs up for the legals...

Thumbs down for the criminals, and this waste of a government we call the "United States" that lets them get away with it.

(I can't help but think... the government allows MILLIONS of illegals to get away with MILLIONS of crimes every year, with no recourse or disciplinary action. But that same government will lock away MILLIONS of non-violent drug users [aka - potheads] for decades at a time. How far we have fallen...)

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by YouAreLiedTo

Just a couple more quotes from the article that really irk me -

"(Not driving) It's a big inconvenience." - So is paying for your healthcare, your food stamps, and you not paying taxes.

"Driving is more than a practical necessity for Californians: it's a birthright." - I have so much anger for this sentence it's mind-numbing. How about for starters... THEY AREN'T EVEN CALIFORNIANS... THEY ARE ILLEGAL MEXICANS. "Birthright" insinuates that you were, you know, BORN THERE.

"Sometimes I feel like going out, but I can't really do that," she said. - Sometimes I feel like making my government enforce their own laws that they continue to ignore, but I can't really do that.

Seriously, I'm logging off for the night. Time to go watch the sky and settle myself down.

edit on 15-9-2012 by YouAreLiedTo because: fixing typos

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 10:26 PM
link   

And don't hand me that crap about "illegals only take jobs others wouldn't." I was a head chef for 7 years, and I have seen many well-qualified White and Black people get over-looked for a kitchen position because an illegal had a cousin that would work there cheaper. I have also worked for construction companies for a good many years, and have seen many well-qualified White and Black people get passed on because there was a family of Mexicans that had a brother that just snuck into the country that was looking for a job.

The illegal isn't the problem here your employer was the problem. He could have just said no he is an illegal but didn't so he could pocket more profit. And I will say this many illegals are willing to work far more harder than a lot of white and blacks are willing to. Because the main reason why a lot of white and blacks won't take a job is because they say I won't do that job for that kind of money.

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 10:35 PM
link   

I don't understand why we allow illegals (aka - criminals) to continue to pollute our benefit systems, job sectors, and economy.

This program was for people that were brought here as children and had no choice in the matter. So they are not the "criminals" you may be thinking they are.

Besides, I'd be willing to bet that your family, and mine, came to this country illegally many years ago. Aren't you glad they did? At least the Mexican people are not murdering us and placing the survivors on reservations!

That would suck huh, you illegal immigrant you!

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 10:42 PM
link   

You really can't point fingers though. There you are all comfy cozy. Probably not a real care in the world. Certainly no question on when you'll get your next meal. You can't point fingers until you've walked a mile in there shoes. It's about life or death for them. What if you were one of them?

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by r2d246

You really can't point fingers though. There you are all comfy cozy. Probably not a real care in the world. Certainly no question on when you'll get your next meal. You can't point fingers until you've walked a mile in there shoes. It's about life or death for them. What if you were one of them?

I could really care less. Life is tougher for some more than others. Wait in line like everyone else who's doing it LEGALLY.

Also crack down on the employers who enable this whole thing. But the lawmakers won't do that because they like their housekeepers and gardners.

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 11:02 PM
link   
reply to post by bg_socalif

But the lawmakers won't do that because they like their housekeepers and gardners.

Don't forget the business owners as well. They love a bigger pool of workers to choose from and even if the business owner is a staunch, anti-immigration Republican....they hire em just the same.

Immigration is a divisive issue that only comes to light when the Republicans need to rally the base.

Back home they are the ones that hire these people and wring their hands as they rake in the dough.

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by buster2010

The illegal isn't the problem here your employer was the problem. He could have just said no he is an illegal but didn't so he could pocket more profit. And I will say this many illegals are willing to work far more harder than a lot of white and blacks are willing to. Because the main reason why a lot of white and blacks won't take a job is because they say I won't do that job for that kind of money.

I agree entirely about the employer making the wrong decision. But it is still a fact that the reason employers do this, is because the government has little to no care about it. If laws were enforced and businesses were fined or shut down due to hiring illegals, it wouldn't happen. It really is as simple as that.

And don't hand me the "won't work for that kind of money" line... in construction, the illegals were making over $17 an hour, working 60 hours a week. I know many people that would quite literally kill someone for that kind of income. These aren't farm jobs we are talking about. They aren't picking berries for $10 a day... they are building houses for over $1,000 a week. Do you even live in a state where this is an issue?

And to the gentleman who said to look at myself in my own comfy little life... I have been homeless before. I have had to feed my wife and go hungry for days at a time while we slept in a car in a truck stop parking lot. You need to quit judging people over the internet. You have no idea what some of us have gone through, and you sound like a douche-nozzle by assuming anything about me.

Lastly, for the gentleman who said I should be happy my family came here illegally, again, stop assuming. My great-grandfather's family came from Italy during WW2 and were perfectly legal when they arrived. My grandfather's first action upon arriving in this country was to learn English and join the Army to help fight the injustices he left behind.

Why do people assume so much?

Just because some people snuck into this country illegally doesn't mean everyone did.

Just because you have lived a nice, soft, cushy lifestyle... doesn't mean that everyone has.

Just because someone has grown-up in America, doesn't mean that they have had it any better than anyone else.

Thank you for the replies, but maybe next time, don't go pointing the blame finger...

The entire point of this topic, is that Right is Right, and Wrong is Wrong. And our country is ignoring what people are doing Wrong (and illegally).

There are two options, and only two options that make sense...

#1- Change the laws...

or

#2- Enforce the laws as they stand.

It's one or the other... allowing people to ignore the laws is NOT the best course of action. Two wrongs do not make a right, remember? When you make an example that it is ok to ignore our laws, then they will start picking and choosing which laws to ignore. Criminal activity is usually a build-up. Most people don't start their criminal careers by robbing a bank, they start when they are a child by stealing candy, etc.

This is the argument I am getting from most of you... "You don't have it as bad as them, so leave them alone when they break the law."

On that thought, most people haven't had it as bad as I have, so please... ignore me while I walk into this bank and make a withdrawl from someone else's account.
edit on 16-9-2012 by YouAreLiedTo because: fixing the quote brackets

edit on 16-9-2012 by YouAreLiedTo because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 06:39 PM
link   

That is all they need to start getting US tax dollars incentives, once they get that SS number they are entitled to everything.

What a joke, just call it for what it is amnesty.

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 10:15 PM
link   
Maybe it isn't the fault of the child that was brought here illegally, but that doesn't change the fact they are here illegally. Why reward the law breaking parents by giving their children privilages? This act is for people up to 30 years of age. At that age, they have had time to come through the proper channels and chose not to.

With millions of unemployed Americans, the last thing we need are these thousands of kids competing for jobs.

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by sheepslayer247

This program was for people that were brought here as children and had no choice in the matter. So they are not the "criminals" you may be thinking they are.

Besides, I'd be willing to bet that your family, and mine, came to this country illegally many years ago. Aren't you glad they did? At least the Mexican people are not murdering us and placing the survivors on reservations!

That would suck huh, you illegal immigrant you!

The illegals are not murdering us??? Thousands of citizens have lost their lives because of illegals with previous arrests and deportations. This is a serious problem.

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by r2d246

We have US citizens who have to choose between food or life saving medicines. We have citizens living in tent cities even in the cold climates where many do not survive. We have citizens who won't allow their children to play in their own back yards because it is not safe for them to do so. None of these people have fled to another country illegally.

Illegals do not have a health or background check. Thousands of our citizens have been raped, maimed and murdered by illegals.

I have seen perfectly qualified citizens get turned away from a job while an illegal got hired instead. I have seen an elderly woman cry because she could not get help with medical, while illegals have all their needs met through deciet, stolen identities and fraudulant documents.

We are bombarded with the illegals sad stories, all the while ignoring the plight of the struggling, suffering poor American citizens. Not everyone has the cushy life you think they have!

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 10:42 PM
link   
I'd like to post a long reply, agreeing with all of your points, because I do. However, I know I will get bombarded with comments like "we are all immigrants" or "we all came here illegally". Of course, a rational person realizes that this argument holds no merit in today's society.

I don't believe the immigrants are to blame here. I truly don't. After all, they are only after a better life. And I can respect that. Who I DO blame, is the US Government. Had we never allowed such brazen off-shoring of jobs, stupid trade agreements like NAFTA, zero punishment for corporations hiring illegal workers, and the billions of miles of red tape for US based companies, we wouldn't have any of these problems.

If American companies were allowed to operate without a billion regulations, forms, taxes, red tape, fines, fees, etc... then these companies could afford to pay fair wages to American workers. However, as I have personally seen over the last decade or so, this is not the case. The government deters free enterprise in this country, period. This is why we have cops issuing tickets to little kids with a lemon-aid stand. They've always got their hand in our pockets and come hell or high water, they WILL get their money.

I don't agree with this ruling. OK I get it that these immigrants are after a better life. I do. But they are still BREAKING THE LAW. Why is this excusable? I am currently out of work. I have a 10-year old son. If I walk into a store and steal a loaf of bread, guess what? I'm going to jail. But I was only trying to have a better life for my kid! You may say that my analogy doesn't fit. But it does. It is the exact same thing. Yes, the situation may be sad. But it doesn't change the fact that they are here illegally. It is not fair to citizens who pay taxes, it is not fair for immigrants who are busting their butts to get into this country legally.

But if I can be honest, I don't see the Federal Government doing a damn thing about this problem. They don't WANT to deal with it. They WON'T deal with it. Why? Because they want the North American Union. Blur the lines. Erase the borders. So why deal with the Mexican border? This is why they fight so hard against States that try and enforce the laws on immigration. This is why ICE agents are fired for doing their jobs.

Frustrating...

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Frustrating indeed!!!!!!!

I have known so many illegals over the years. The women tell you that they claim to be a one income household and end up recieving free food, cheap housing, medical... all the while they have two incomes, their spouses or boyfriends working under the table. Their combined incomes are well over the poverty limit. When you ask them why would they do that, they tell you that America is stupid.

When asking any of them why they don't try to become legal, they come right out and tell you that they get much more by being illegal. Many say that they have no desire to become legal because once they save enough money they will return to their own country and live a good life. Our money is worth so much more in their country.

When we have suffering citizens struggling to feed their families and I see the illegals and their dishonesty it makes me angry. No foreigner should be reaping all these benefits and getting away with picking and choosing which laws to follow.

Also, when you have so many illegals that refuse to speak the language of the land and we see jobs that now require us to be bilingual, there is problem. No American should be forced to speak a foreign language in order to get a job unless you're working with internationl customers.

Illegal immigration is a problem on so many levels.

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Night Star
Also, when you have so many illegals that refuse to speak the language of the land and we see jobs that now require us to be bilingual, there is problem. No American should be forced to speak a foreign language in order to get a job unless you're working with internationl customers.

Oh you ain't kidding!! I have been a programmer for the last 17 years. I used to make very good money. Had the house, cars, my wife and kid etc etc. American dream right?

Well.. I've been out of work since November 2010. I became so desperate that I actually went and applied to work at McDonalds. I would do anything to be able to feed my son. But guess what? I was turned down because they were looking for "bi-lingual" applicants!!!!

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 11:11 PM
link   

That is the salt of the earth attitude according to the bloodlines. Good slave belief! They would blow you a kiss for that. Life isn't equal, tough luck, wait in line.

Well, the only reason life isn't equal, is because of the ISMS, or the opinions, of people like you. Because if we all were on the same page about equality and abundance for all, free land, food and clean energy technology, it would be done. Billlions wouldn't be starving. There would hardly ever be a rape or murder in the land. Kids would be healthy and have good self esteem. The human would progress to a level one civilizaton and achieve progression.

Politicians are mirrors. Its the opinions like that that enslave this world.

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 11:13 PM
link   
soooooo, does this also mean that all citizens, both naturalized and natural born shall be "exonerated" from any and all charges stemming from "stealing from their illegal neighbor" ??

a "fair playing field" should apply for both sides.
if one side gets a free pass for stealing their way to a better life then so should the other

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99

That is the salt of the earth attitude according to the bloodlines. Good slave belief! They would blow you a kiss for that. Life isn't equal, tough luck, wait in line.

Well, the only reason life isn't equal, is because of the ISMS, or the opinions, of people like you. Because if we all were on the same page about equality and abundance for all, free land, food and clean energy technology, it would be done. Billlions wouldn't be starving. There would hardly ever be a rape or murder in the land. Kids would be healthy and have good self esteem. The human would progress to a level one civilizaton and achieve progression.

Politicians are mirrors. Its the opinions like that that enslave this world.

Don't forget the unicorns and rainbows while you hold hands and sing Kumbayaa.

Life has never been fair and never will be. There have been the "haves" and "have nots" since the beginning of time and it will continue to be so till the end of time.

I call it being realistic.

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 11:40 PM
link   

I looked into this. The reason they allow it and keep the boarder relatively open is because the US is only repopulating internally at a rate of something like 1.9%. You need 2.2% just to remain even. So without large amounts of immigrants coming in the population would start to get depleated fast. That's also why some countries are fairly open and others aren't. Depends a lot on there population growth.

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 12:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by DerekJR321

Originally posted by Night Star

Oh you ain't kidding!! I have been a programmer for the last 17 years. I used to make very good money. Had the house, cars, my wife and kid etc etc. American dream right?

Well.. I've been out of work since November 2010. I became so desperate that I actually went and applied to work at McDonalds. I would do anything to be able to feed my son. But guess what? I was turned down because they were looking for "bi-lingual" applicants!!!!

Makes your blood boil doesn't it? For any American citizen to lose out on a job opportunity because they are forced to speak a foreign language in their own country is a damned shame! Bet they wanted you to speak spanish right? In all the years that we have had immigration, those coming here legally learned english. Since the invasion of the illegal spanish speaking population, we now have to press one for english to make a phone call, speak a foreign language to get so much as a simple factory or Mcdonalds job etc.

I would never in my wildest dreams go to a foreign country and expect them to speak 'my' language. How rude and arrogant!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join