It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Malware inserted on PC production lines, says study

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 08:10 PM
link   

In a report detailing its work to disrupt the Nitol botnet, Microsoft said the criminals behind the malicious program had exploited insecure supply chains to get viruses installed as PCs were being built. The viruses were discovered when Microsoft digital crime investigators bought 20 PCs, 10 desktops and 10 laptops from different cities in China. Four of the computers were infected with malicious programs even though they were fresh from the factory.

Further investigation revealed that the botnet behind Nitol was being run from a web domain that had been involved in cybercrime since 2008. Also on that domain were 70,000 separate sub-domains used by 500 separate strains of malware to fool victims or steal data. "We found malware capable of remotely turning on an infected computer's microphone and video camera, potentially giving a cybercriminal eyes and ears into a victim's home or business," said Richard Boscovich, a lawyer in Microsoft's digital crimes unit in a blogpost.

Link to the Report
Source: BBC News

Well, it must have been a really big bot net control center. Imagine 500 different strains of malware alone on the Nitol-net.

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 08:21 PM
link   
My friend purchased a cheep little net book, brand new from a major retailer.

When I set it up for him I encountered spyware and malware viruses in it, atleast 3 that the virus program discovered out of the box.

Was rather upsetting told him to return the POS, I wonder how common this is and people just miss it.

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 08:21 PM
link   
The important thing is that they are getting cheap labor in china and can make bigger profits by having their production in china where security is obviously sub par. Whats more important, making a virus free dependable product or making more profits?

join