It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Charity Launches Online Troll-Hunter Service

page: 1

join
share:
CX

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Saw this on Sky News earlier, bullies can now be tracked down by a free "troll hunter" service....

The UK's first cyber-bullying charity is offering victims a free "troll hunting" service. The Cybersmile Foundation will work with a team of covert investigators to track down and expose online bullies.

The service will be helped by a team of global forensic analysts. When trolls are identified the charity will contact internet service providers, social network corporations and web hosting companies.

It has been set up by Scott Freeman whose 13-year-old daughter Poppy was targeted by internet bullies. He said: "With the team of experts we have put together from around the world, and the determination I have to make a difference, the war is on.

Charity Launches Online Troll-Hunter Service

I do like this idea, and as a dad of two girls who have both had thier fair share of being bullied, it is nice to know that bullies will no longer be tolerated online.

I do wonder how others here feel about it though? Do you think there is a risk for this to be turned into some online vigilante group? Do you think there is potential for details of bullies being passed onto those who shouldn't have them?

For example, if someone was bullying your kid, and this troll hunter service found out who it was, do you think they would take a back hander to reveal a few more details?

I'm sure there are enough computer savvy people online who would do that for you anyway, and this charity would stay as professional as it can. It's just a thought.

Opinions?

CX.

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 07:14 PM
link   
reply to post by CX

Their intentions I'm sure are good, but just like with all things that start off as well intentioned I realize immediately the possibility for abuse.

What exactly are they going to do with the information once they track down an online bully? I see the possibility of the alleged "bully" being bullied. Two wrongs do not make a right.

I think it is a better idea to teach kids to ignore online bullies and to learn to not take anything they might say personally. If you don't feed the troll it will probably go away.

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 07:19 PM
link   
hey why not as long as service is not violating decent laws .

i all for standing up against bullys if a bully calls you names shove em with all you got! if a bully shoves you crack them in the face!
if harased online by people you dont know i guess thats where this company can help

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 07:30 PM
link   
If the bullies have broken the law then this sounds ok to me if the troll hunters take the info to the police.otherwise it just sounds like stalking and harassment ,by the troll hunters,to me.
edit on 15-9-2012 by Tardacus because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-9-2012 by Tardacus because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 07:35 PM
link   
We here at ATS already have a charity - all volunteer troll hunting service!

Founder: SimonGray
CEO & Community Director: Bill (SkepticOverlord)
COO & Marketing Director: Mark (Springer)
CFO Stephen (Crakeur)
Executive Admin: Djarums
Administrator: 12m8keall2c
Administrator: Majic
Admin Emeritus: William One Sac

"Super" Moderators
AboveTopSecret.com, ADVISOR, alien, asala, AshleyD, Byrd, chissler, dbates, DJDOHBOY, DontTreadOnMe, elevatedone, FredT, GAOTU789, Gazrok, Gemwolf, Hellmutt, intrepid, JacKatMtn, JAK, kinglizard, maria_stardust, masqua, Mirthful Me, neformore, niteboy82, sanctum, Sauron, semperfortis, The Vagabond, TheBandit795, worldwatcher, yeahright,

Forum Moderators
Ahabstar, argentus, ArMaP, Asktheanimals, ATSmediaPRO, Ayana, benevolent tyrant, Blaine91555, burdman30ott6, davespanners, defcon5, Dr Love, Extralien, gallopinghordes, GENERAL EYES, GradyPhilpott, greeneyedleo, Hefficide, Jbird, JohnnyAnonymous, JustMike, Kandinsky, kosmicjack, Maxmars, Nerdling, nyk537, parrhesia, Rising Against, seagull, Silk, Skyfloating, spacedoubt, Spiderj, TheBorg, TheRedneck, tothetenthpower, WikiEditor, WyrdeOne, xpert11,

And, you're welcome!

~Heff
edit on 9/15/12 by Hefficide because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 07:43 PM
link   
reply to post by CX

I cant help feeling that part of the problem is that parents are letting their kids use these sites with no idea of whats being said to who and by who until something major happens like with the child described in the story.

I guess what actions the group takes will decide if it's a good idea or not, lets not forget that in the UK people have already been put in prison over tweets but you can't take that kind of action over a 12 year old calling another 12 year old names on facebook, It doesn't say what the groups plan is after they identify the people, which worries me. A letter to the owner of the internet connection might be an idea I suppose.

CX

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by davespanners
reply to post by CX

It doesn't say what the groups plan is after they identify the people, which worries me. A letter to the owner of the internet connection might be an idea I suppose.

The article says, "When trolls are identified the charity will contact internet service providers, social network corporations and web hosting companies."

Not sure what happens after that? Will the kids end up on a bully register? Who will want that info as far as authorities?

CX.

new topics

top topics

join